Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #106
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusWiz
Actually, in the politically correct arena, Asians are and always have been fair game. From Jerry Lewis to Rosie O'Donnell, comedians have gotten easy laughs portraying the odd appearance, the goofy language, or the odd food.
I think the Polish, Italians, Jews, rednecks, Irish, blacks, Puerto Ricans etc.. would disagree on what is fair game. They've all been fair game.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-19-2015 at 06:24 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #107
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I think the Polish, Italians, Jews, rednecks, Irish, blacks, Puerto Ricans etc.. would disagree on what is fair game. They've all been fair game.
and Irish and Native Indians and Chinese and Pakistanis....the list goes on.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #108
FocusWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Not disagreeing with you and not sure if you are disagreeing with me, but I did not say nor was I trying to say that only Asians have been fair game.

Blacks have also been fair game. Anti-Black politicians have also run for President. So have whites. No one group (that I am aware of) has a monopoly on being the brunt of negative comments or inappropriate humor. While it is becoming politically incorrect to identify ISIS terrorists as Muslim Extremists, we are fine with categorizing anti-abortionists as Catholic or Christian. Christians are also fair game by current PC standards, but that was not always the case.

I was merely pointing out that while some things have been beaten out of popular culture by the PC police, there are some that have never and are not now even considered a problem.

Had John McCain said those kind of remarks about the groups you mention, someone (perhaps MSNBC, perhaps Fox News, or perhaps even the more middle-of-the-road media outlets depending on the group) would have made a lot of noise. I am only aware of outlets in Seattle and San Francisco being alarmed at his use of the word, "Gooks" during his first run for the Presidency.

Last edited by FocusWiz; 07-19-2015 at 06:54 PM.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #109
FocusWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
and Irish and Native Indians and Chinese and Pakistanis....the list goes on.
What is and is not Politically Correct changes over time. As I indicated in an earlier post, someone who is not informed about a change in the rules is not necessarily a bigot (any more than someone who uses the proper terminology is automatically not a bigot).

No one said that Asians are the only group that the PC police do not protect. The groups they have protected and not protected have changed over time and will continue to change. That is why the list will go on and on.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #110
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
You mean how he sounds TO YOU.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #111
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusWiz
Finally! Someone who understands this Political Correctness stuff and understands the historical basis of this stuff.

Please explain the historical events that came up with the ridiculous term, "People of Color." I found this term (used in the 80s) to be condescending and downright offensive, but it was Politically Correct. In my personal battle against this jargon, I would refer to a "pad of color" when I would ask a secretarial assistant for something other than a white pad. I vowed not to not accept this term until they referred to other (non "People of Color") as "Colorless People." Who started this term and why did they think such a term was necessary? It seemed like an "us versus them" kind of term to me, but I know it was not, since it was Politically Correct. Please explain how this pejorative term was somehow positive and unifying.

Once you have completely explained the historical significance and basis for why I should have been happy that the majority of the country started referring to me that way, I have some other terms I will ask you to explain so that I can be as knowledgeable and informed as you are and stop thinking that it is coming from a bunch of rich pseudo-political Hollywood types with no understanding of the true underlying issues and whose only goal is to make those of us who are not "in" with the latest terminology seem as outsiders or, worse, as biased, racist bigots.
I'd love to help, but You're about 2500 years late to the party.

SOCRATES: Come now, my dear Euthyphro, tell me, too, that I may become wiser.

Last edited by Hank; 07-20-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply