Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-02-2024, 03:57 PM   #31
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candybag View Post
It may be the idea that gets me in front of the right authorities. Then the idea morphs into placing the Medicaid savings back where they belong (general tax revenue fund), and jump starts the conversation of slots funding purses/OTBs/fixed odds wagering. I think if the project delivers, the legislature may be grateful to the racing community for bringing the idea.

I remember my former Office suing and collecting $5,000 from a parent in the 1960s for treatment toward his son. He hated us. Through a series of events, this parent become a member of the House of Representatives, then our director. He sent a staff member to our Office to learn how to dismantle the Office.

His staff member went back to the director and told the director that he does not want to get rid of us. Later on, this director who hated my Office, was sending letters of appreciation for some of our creative "first in the nation" accomplishments.

What would be ridiculous is not even having a conversation with the Medicaid authorities, closing tracks and cutting purses. Give me 10 minutes with them.

So basically you are for subsidizing a business that can't make it without a subsidy.

What politician wouldn't get behind such a powerful movement to save horse racing?
Old 01-02-2024, 07:54 PM   #32
Candybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
So basically you are for subsidizing a business that can't make it without a subsidy.

What politician wouldn't get behind such a powerful movement to save horse racing?
My understanding from a previous poster is slots/OTBs have already been approved in California, not implemented. Perhaps this Medicaid initiative would get the slots to the finish line?

If given a chance to present, many options will be suggested, with a clear path how to save Medicaid monies paid in error. I am sure California will determine the best options.

What I am really for is saving California a ton of Medicaid monies, and I cannot do it without the help of a special interest group to ensure the law is followed.

https://www.macpac.gov/subtopic/thir...e%20individual.

Last edited by Candybag; 01-02-2024 at 07:56 PM.
Candybag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2024, 10:23 PM   #33
iamt

That special interest group you're after can't even ensure their racing laws are followed correctly.
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2024, 04:07 AM   #34
Candybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt View Post
That special interest group you're after can't even ensure their racing laws are followed correctly.
True. Money talks though. Big money talks real loud.

What I did not make clear (my fault) is nobody would take a check from my Medicaid savings and walk it over to the horsemen's bookkeeper and say here: Use this check for purses.

The saved Medicaid money would go back to the general revenue fund for budget negotiations like all the other tax funds. Any resistance to initiatives that would help horsemen could be smoothed over with this Medicaid savings in other areas. Hey, Mr. Legislator in District 3, you want your State Park, we want OTBs.

A candidate for Governor in Ohio, who lost to Dewine, wanted to use my Medicaid savings for Pre-K education. What does Medicaid savings have to do with horsemen purses? What does Medicaid savings have to do with Pre-K education?

Answer: Absolutely "Nothing" to both questions. My idea starts conversations and gets me in front of a lot of important people.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:33 PM   #35
AndyC

Quote:
My understanding from a previous poster is slots/OTBs have already been approved in California, not implemented. Perhaps this Medicaid initiative would get the slots to the finish line?

If given a chance to present, many options will be suggested, with a clear path how to save Medicaid monies paid in error. I am sure California will determine the best options.

What I am really for is saving California a ton of Medicaid monies, and I cannot do it without the help of a special interest group to ensure the law is followed.

https://www.macpac.gov/subtopic/thir...e%20individual.

They will need the Medicaid money to pay for all the illegal immigrants that are now eligible for Medicaid in CA.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:25 AM   #36
elhelmete

Quote:
My idea starts conversations and gets me in front of a lot of important people.
Please take pictures when you're there.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2024, 02:13 PM   #37
MooseDog

Slots at tracks have not been approved in CA, otherwise we'd have them. Not likely either.

As for OTBs, the current law does allow for OTB style facilities with certain restrictions as to location and subject to CHRB approval but as far as I know none have been successful.

Quote:
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2024, 02:33 PM   #38
Candybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Slots at tracks have not been approved in CA, otherwise we'd have them. Not likely either.

As for OTBs, the current law does allow for OTB style facilities with certain restrictions as to location and subject to CHRB approval but as far as I know none have been successful.
MooseDog:

Thank you for the update. Do you have a contact in California racing that I could contact? I know at one time you were thinking of hooking me up TSG, but Mr. Stronach is no longer involved in racing.

With the kind of savings involved and how the terms could be laid down to capture the same, it is worth exploring.

Thank you.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:28 AM   #39
Ray Paulick

I was approached via email several days ago by the author, who wanted to meet me in Lexington to discuss a new idea that he said he proposed online.

I asked him to send me the link and that I would take a look at it when I had time and that we could discuss if warranted. He did send it, but it's been a very hectic week as we transitioned our website to a new host, and I haven't read the proposal yet. There are other priorities.

To be clear, there is no scheduled interview or article that is under consideration. As I have done with many people, I said I would take a look at his proposal – which I will do at some point.
Ray Paulick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2024, 10:01 AM   #40
Candybag

Apparently some people have approached Mr. Paulick about this situation.

Hopefully in all my posts I used the phrase "possible" interview or the like. The interview is not a done deal. I apologize for any inconvenience I caused Mr. Paulick.

This forum has provided great feedback and helped me sharpen my idea. Thank you!

On my home blog HTR, where I am known, a couple professionals in my field have responded very favorably to the concept on an initial basis.
Old 01-06-2024, 03:38 PM   #41
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
Any savings from Medicaid should be used to reduce the overall tax burden on taxpayers. This type of scheme is how our country has gotten into $33 TRILLION in debt. Using money that is supposed to be used for one purpose be given to a totally different purpose. And from what I've read California is going to have a huge budget deficit this year. It is never going to fly with the California legislature.
Avoiding the political minefield here...
There is a mind amount of waste fraud and abuse in government spending. I loathe to see such a thing become reality.
Its a half decent theory, but I think its best place is to remain just that...A theory.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 10:12 AM   #42
Candybag

Quote:
Any savings from Medicaid should be used to reduce the overall tax burden on taxpayers. This type of scheme is how our country has gotten into $33 TRILLION in debt. Using money that is supposed to be used for one purpose be given to a totally different purpose. And from what I've read California is going to have a huge budget deficit this year. It is never going to fly with the California legislature.
The idea may never fly with the California legislature if the idea is never presented.

There may be professional considerations not revealed on this forum that could give a person a change of mind about this idea becoming reality.

A good friend of mind, a good friend of racingv and a good friend of the human race has witnessed my idea in a professional setting. This person is approaching Steve Byk through his connections to consider an interview with me.

Like Mr. Paulick's interview, not a done deal, but a possibility.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:13 AM   #43
Candybag

Quote:
The idea may never fly with the California legislature if the idea is never presented.

There may be professional considerations not revealed on this forum that could give a person a change of mind about this idea becoming reality.

A good friend of mind, a good friend of racing and a good friend of the human race has witnessed my idea in a professional setting. This person is approaching Steve Byk through his connections to consider an interview with me.

Like Mr. Paulick's interview, not a done deal, but a possibility.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:28 PM   #44
MooseDog

Our biggest problem is not having an advocate in the State Legislature. We used to have Senator Ken Maddy but there is no one in office now that has our back.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2024, 02:39 PM   #45
Candybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Our biggest problem is not having an advocate in the State Legislature. We used to have Senator Ken Maddy but there is no one in office now that has our back.
MooseDog

Would the representative of the Golden Gate or Santa Anita districts, or both, entertain a preliminary meeting? If so, who could put me in front of those representatives and with an appropriate member(s) of the racing community?

If I sell the idea to this initial group of representatives and racing community, next stop would be a meeting with the Medicaid authorities.

The representatives do not necessarily have to be a big racing fan. I am sure the representatives may have a dear and near pet project of their own. The deal can be structured accordingly to include all special interest groups. I got something specific in mind to assist with the arrangement.

Sure beats no one gets anything except overly paid Medicaid claims.

Last edited by Candybag; 01-07-2024 at 02:40 PM.