Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Capper Al

What's Dave Schwartz up to?

I haven't spotted any postings from Dave. He's usually making some new product . I like his free stuff too. I guess free stuff doesn't pay the bills. But I have bought things from him that I have found helpful.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
thaskalos

You can't pay the bills by selling stuff to horseplayers. Haven't you seen that there isn't enough interest out there to keep even ONE regular horseplayer magazine going? Dave wanted to start a free online horseplayer magazine...and there weren't even enough takers for THAT.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Capper Al

Is he out of the horse gaming business?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 10-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
thaskalos

He still has his website...no? What makes you think he is out of the business?

Maybe he is making more money betting...who knows?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Thanks for missing me, Al.

I have not posted as much lately for several reasons.

1. I have spent a lot of time doing custom programming this year for private clients, more than in any 3 previous years that I can recall. This has kept me quiet and busy.

2. I have perceived a shift of dominance on PA towards a handful of posters that seem to enjoy argument. While I am always for exchange of ideas --- how else does one learn something they do not know? --- when it degenerates to argument rarely is anything to be learned.

3. When I post, I rarely get responses. Not sure if I am on too many ignore lists - LOL - or people just disagree with me so strongly that I seem to be coming from left field to them, but for whatever reason, when I post it seems nobody listens so why bother?

However, perhaps the biggest reason I have been less active is that the last year has been one of self-discovery for me. For over 35 years I have been wanting to make "significant" money from wagering. Through partnerships, I have had a couple of fantastic years but have not realized the goals I set so many years ago.

Last year, just about this time, I set out to play "professionally." I played for a couple of weeks and made some money - enough to let me know I could do it if I wanted to. That turned out to be the real problem: it was just so much like a job that I just was not sure I really wanted to do it any more.

It was a good thing that I had so much programming to keep me afloat, because I have done absolutely zero marketing since last December. No BlogTalks, no posts to my web page, no emails, nothing. We still sell product, but I have build nothing new in quite awhile.

Do not think we are done or have even curtailed business!

I have been in this business for over 24 years on a full-time basis. I spent the first 20 years building what I thought the public needed, then spent the next 3 years building what I thought the public wanted.

Now I am trying to figure out how I can have a good time and still fill the public's needs to the point of justifying my time.

I love horse racing. But I love my family, children, and grandchildren more. Time with them is very important to me.

All that being said, my systemology is at the strongest point it has ever been. I am betting less horses, with a higher hit rate and greater return than at any time since the Sartin era. In fact, I am doing so well that I recently gave away - GAVE - to all of my users a simple HSH selection system that has been profitable for over 1,000 wagers. As you can imagine, if I gave that one away, I have an even better one that I kept.

I am seriously considering going back to the window "professionally," possibly with the idea of taking on a "personal" playing partner. (That means not a mini-whale endeavor.)

So, thanks again for asking. In the next couple of months, I will probably resurface with a plan where I can share some knowledge, make some money and benefit everyone else at the same time.

Kind Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
2. I have perceived a shift of dominance on PA towards a handful of posters that seem to enjoy argument.
While I'm sure I know of at least 1 or 2 you might be thinking of, please PM me the full list, and I'll see what I can do about it...
Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

PA,

I could not possibly do that.

It is a social thing. Every community evolves on its own.

Dave
Old 10-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
PA,

I could not possibly do that.

It is a social thing. Every community evolves on its own.

Dave
I've been doing this 15+ years...trust me a little...
Old 10-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Greyfox

Quote:

2. I have perceived a shift of dominance on PA towards a handful of posters that seem to enjoy argument.
Dave Schwartz
I too wondered about that comment Dave.
Except when you ventured into the Religious Thread on this board, I don't recall seeing any posts here, except by a Trucker, that might have fit what you said there.
If what was said on the religious thread or by the Truckdriver put you off from posting, you might need to develop a thicker skin.

Personally, I've found you to be an excellent contributor to this board, and through our private e-mails you know who I am.

All the best,

Greyfox
Old 10-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #10
Dave Schwartz

My comment is probably not worth long discussion. It is simply my opinion of a change from what I perceived in years gone by to my perception today. I should emphasize both the "my" and the "perception."

And any perception can be faulty. Kind of liking making probabilities. LOL

I used to see this forum as a big opportunity for learning, especially for intermediate players. Now, what I often see in a lot of threads is a power struggle of sorts between a few posters that seem to have some kind of agenda. Never figured that part out, but certain posters always seem to want to drive the conversation towards some position that they hold dear.

Perhaps it is just me getting tired of the struggle.

BTW, Fox, thank you for the kind words.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
3. When I post, I rarely get responses. Not sure if I am on too many ignore lists - LOL - or people just disagree with me so strongly that I seem to be coming from left field to them, but for whatever reason, when I post it seems nobody listens so why bother?
This happens to me too, Dave...but I look at it in a different way. I just assume that my point was irrefutable...and left no room for further discussion.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
This happens to me too, Dave...but I look at it in a different way. I just assume that my point was irrefutable...and left no room for further discussion.
Good one.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Ditto

Dave, Enjoy yourself
Old 10-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Good to hear from you Dave! Much respect my man!! (and I hope I'm not on your "shift of dominance" list - LOL)

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
Old 10-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
Capper Al

Dave,

Thanks for dropping in and posting. Good luck on your new ventures. I hope to be testing my version of BRIS' RR and CR ratings in the forum soon. Maybe it will be something to talk about either way if my figs fail or succeed.

Cheers

Anatole France

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: