Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
classhandicapper

From DRF:

"Chris Griffin, the former announcer for the Harlem Globetrotters, will call the Pleasanton, Sacramento, and Ferndale races this year. Griffin made his race-calling debut at Ferndale last year and then called races at Portland Meadows".
Old 06-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #17
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
From DRF:

"Chris Griffin, the former announcer for the Harlem Globetrotters, will call the Pleasanton, Sacramento, and Ferndale races this year. Griffin made his race-calling debut at Ferndale last year and then called races at Portland Meadows".
Maybe they can play "Sweet Georgia Brown" over the PA system during his calls.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #18
classhandicapper

These CA Fair meets have become the highlight of my year other than the very highest quality racing I still love. Eventually, I'm going to plan a vacation around the fairs.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #19
dilanesp

Quote:
These CA Fair meets have become the highlight of my year other than the very highest quality racing I still love. Eventually, I'm going to plan a vacation around the fairs.
I really love the fairs. Indeed, I miss the Fairplex meet down here (though truth be told, the last few years it was awful as a live racing experience because they put up a bunch of tents in the infield that blocked the backstretch a la Churchill Downs).

One of the most pleasant experiences I ever had at a racetrack was when I went up to Ferndale 20 years ago. Beautiful setting, delicious fair food, and a crowd that was having a great time. The racing was awful, the track was a joke, but I didn't care at all.

I also like the variety at the fairs. Isn't it fun to start off with an Appaloosa race, a mule race, and a couple of quarter horse races before seeing a bunch of thoroughbred races?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #20
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I really love the fairs. Indeed, I miss the Fairplex meet down here (though truth be told, the last few years it was awful as a live racing experience because they put up a bunch of tents in the infield that blocked the backstretch a la Churchill Downs).

One of the most pleasant experiences I ever had at a racetrack was when I went up to Ferndale 20 years ago. Beautiful setting, delicious fair food, and a crowd that was having a great time. The racing was awful, the track was a joke, but I didn't care at all.

I also like the variety at the fairs. Isn't it fun to start off with an Appaloosa race, a mule race, and a couple of quarter horse races before seeing a bunch of thoroughbred races?
Those are my sentiments exactly.

I'm not going to put a lot of money into those pools, but I think I'll enjoy the fair experience and the variety will keep me entertained. I love mule racing. I have detailed trip notes and personal figures for every mule that has run over the last 2 years for each of their races and other historical time and class data going back to 2011. This year the spreadsheet will go into a database.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #21
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
From DRF:

Wait, I could be wrong but is this the guy who sounds like an operator (super nasally voice)? Same guy who did some Trevor impersonations this past meet at PM?

Or is it another guy?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Wait, I could be wrong but is this the guy who sounds like an operator (super nasally voice)? Same guy who did some Trevor impersonations this past meet at PM?

Or is it another guy?
I believe that was the other guy. Chris was mostly there early in the meet.
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #23
Valuist

Quote:
Pleasanton and Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa right there in wine country, and Pleasanton has a real nice downtown with plenty of restaurants and bars, but with a small town feel. Hard to go wrong visiting the Bay area. Sacramento and Stockton? Maybe not so much.

Last edited by Valuist; 06-13-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply