Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Equibase NYRA Chart Caller

Does anyone know if it's still Dan Kulchisky? All I could find was a Bloodhorse article from 2011 about the art of Chart Calling.

This call from yesterday's finale (Race 9 - Rain In Spain DQ) was phenomenal and you could visualize how the race unfolded without even watching a replay.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...6-05-15&race=9

Call for first two finishers is below:

RAIN IN SPAIN grabbed the advantage after the start, got guided over to the inside route, set the splits being attended by FAZZLE DAZZLE parked out two path after making it onto the backstetch, continued along on the same scenario for three-quarters and a bit beyond, got switched over to stronger handling heading into the stretch, drifted out towards the two path while setting in, edged away to its biggest lead during the remainder of the way to the eighth pole, was digging in with good determination, keeping a straight course and under right handed stick work as EQHO whittled away at the deficit once past the furlong grounds, had the rider put the stick away once the aforementioned rival was fully hitched up and directly alongside, came out slightly with the pilot shaking the reins, meeting up EQHO, itself moving inward a bit after some right handed pressure, bumped with that opponent at the shadow of the wire then hung on to reach it first. EQHO rode the rail while being well reserved, was forced to remain on hold approaching the quarter pole with no usable options for the asking, gained enough room to vacate the premises once BETITALLWITHPAUL was sent outward, idled behind foes while gradually shifting out into the three path, saw enough of a seam between rivals a short distance from the sixteenth marker and after being given its cue eagerly dove through, went after the leader, closing in rapidly, came in after some right side pressure, got corrected, was in the process of coming in a second time, once more after some right handed stick work when contact was made with the unofficial winner and fell short.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
classhandicapper

Whoever does NY has been very consistent and very good for awhile now.

If you use charts to help with ground loss or bia, you have to be really careful. The chart callers are not consistent from track to track. At one track the chart caller may say a horse was 5 wide and the exact same trip will get 3 wide at another track because of how they handle the normal space between horses. When some guys say "inside" they mean the rail and some guys just mean inside of horses but it could easily be well off the rail.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
jballscalls

I had heard a few years ago it was a "new younger guy" and most of my Equibase buddies have said they have tremendous respect for what a great job he does. Not sure of name though
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
Grits

I began to notice this a good while back. Have no clue, don't know who it is, but by far, NYRA has the best written charts in North America. No one can touch them.

I've read some who complain that the charts are too wordy, no way. Just no way. Every chart tells the story of the race's unfolding, and it does so with an ease of flow. They're the best by miles.... I love reading their charts!

Belmont, Saratoga. Soon. <3
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Does anyone know if it's still Dan Kulchisky? All I could find was a Bloodhorse article from 2011 about the art of Chart Calling.

This call from yesterday's finale (Race 9 - Rain In Spain DQ) was phenomenal and you could visualize how the race unfolded without even watching a replay.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...6-05-15&race=9

Call for first two finishers is below:

RAIN IN SPAIN grabbed the advantage after the start, got guided over to the inside route, set the splits being attended by FAZZLE DAZZLE parked out two path after making it onto the backstetch, continued along on the same scenario for three-quarters and a bit beyond, got switched over to stronger handling heading into the stretch, drifted out towards the two path while setting in, edged away to its biggest lead during the remainder of the way to the eighth pole, was digging in with good determination, keeping a straight course and under right handed stick work as EQHO whittled away at the deficit once past the furlong grounds, had the rider put the stick away once the aforementioned rival was fully hitched up and directly alongside, came out slightly with the pilot shaking the reins, meeting up EQHO, itself moving inward a bit after some right handed pressure, bumped with that opponent at the shadow of the wire then hung on to reach it first. EQHO rode the rail while being well reserved, was forced to remain on hold approaching the quarter pole with no usable options for the asking, gained enough room to vacate the premises once BETITALLWITHPAUL was sent outward, idled behind foes while gradually shifting out into the three path, saw enough of a seam between rivals a short distance from the sixteenth marker and after being given its cue eagerly dove through, went after the leader, closing in rapidly, came in after some right side pressure, got corrected, was in the process of coming in a second time, once more after some right handed stick work when contact was made with the unofficial winner and fell short.
I've enjoyed footnotes from NYRA for quite some time. This person puts out a massive amount of in depth work.

However, again as most observers who wish to comment on inquiries and stewards decisions without the proper training and or knowledge of the rules, the LEAD has been buried.

This was a tremendously easy call to make.

Two questions needed to be asked that would carry the decision.

1. Who initiated the contact? What happened before they bumped is totally meaningless. Who initiated? That without question was Rain in Spain.

With that being established the next and final question is.....

2. As a result of that contact was cost an "opportunity" for a better placing? Clearly the answer is yes.

One thing I found interesting about this inquiry was the usefulness of the different camera shots the stewards were able to use to make this ruling.

The pan shot was not useful at all establishing who initiated contact.

While the head-on couldn't help with how far before the wire the incident took place and did Eqho lose enough momentum to be cost the "opportunity"

But circling back to topic the NYRA footnotes are excellent
Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I began to notice this a good while back. Have no clue, don't know who it is, but by far, NYRA has the best written charts in North America. No one can touch them.

I've read some who complain that the charts are too wordy, no way. Just no way. Every chart tells the story of the race's unfolding, and it does so with an ease of flow. They're the best by miles.... I love reading their charts!

Belmont, Saratoga. Soon. <3
I call it having the ability to paint a word picture. This person's writing skill gives the reader a good "look" of how the race unfolded.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #7
Milkshaker

I'll say the same thing I always do when Equibase chartcallers come up in this forum: They should be identified by name somewhere within that day's charts, just like a print journalist would have a byline in a newspaper or magazine.

If the person is great at their job, they should get the proper credit for it.

And if they're incompetent, that too will be recognized.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Arapola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker
I'll say the same thing I always do when Equibase chartcallers come up in this forum: They should be identified by name somewhere within that day's charts, just like a print journalist would have a byline in a newspaper or magazine.

If the person is great at their job, they should get the proper credit for it.

And if they're incompetent, that too will be recognized.
The chart caller is excellent and renders a phenomenal written text of the action as it occurred. Very talented.

The camera shot from behind was so far back. It really shows the humongous
size of Belmont.
Arapola is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: