Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #1996
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

I was just reading a work, the author, Orest Stocco, a follower of Gurdjieff, who tells the story about Gurdjieff having one of his followers dig holes just to dig holes, sounds like a version of monastic penance to me.

The book is Gurgjieff was wrong but his teaching works.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #1997
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Is that what you got from the several Gurdjieff works that you've supposedly read? What sort of "suffering and work" did Gurdjieff write about? Don't worry...I'll wait until you browse the internet for the answer.

Why is it so important for you to pretend that you've "investigated" the other religions, before embracing your own?

You don't have to wait. I know Gurdjieff's works are not freely published. However, I gleaned he taught suffering is necessary. Definitely part of Christian monastic life and so is work, through work you find yourself.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #1998
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
I was just reading a work, the author, Orest Stocco, a follower of Gurdjieff, who tells the story about Gurdjieff having one of his followers dig holes just to dig holes, sounds like a version of monastic penance to me.

The book is Gurgjieff was wrong but his teaching works.
You said that you've also read Gurdjieff HIMSELF. If you HAD read Gurdjieff, as you initially claimed...then you would have NEVER confused Orest Stocco as an "offspring" of his.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #1999
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

I have read Divinization: The Hidden Teaching of Divine Wisdom, by Papanagiotou. In fact looking at its cover now on Nook to spell his name.

Also, I have read other articles, works from his followers. But, I never did refer to Wikipedia.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #2000
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
You said that you've also read Gurdjieff HIMSELF. If you HAD read Gurdjieff, as you initially claimed...then you would have NEVER confused Orest Stocco as an "offspring" of his.
Quote:
After reading some Gurdjieff's works
Yes, I skipped the word "about". I have a tendency to leave out words my brain thinks I type. It is pretty common unfortunately for me.

Should have read; After reading about some Gurdjieff's works.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #2001
thaskalos

Quote:
I have read Divinization: The Hidden Teaching of Divine Wisdom, by Papanagiotou. In fact looking at its cover now on Nook to spell his name.

Also, I have read other articles, works from his followers. But, I never did refer to Wikipedia.
There is nothing wrong in not having read Gurdjieff. What IS wrong...is to pretend that you know something about the teaching of a man whose works you have never read.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #2002
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
There is nothing wrong in not having read Gurdjieff. What IS wrong...is to pretend that you know something about the teaching of a man whose works you have never read.
See my above post.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #2003
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Now that we are clear, in my opinion it seems, from the works I have read, the teachings sound very similar in substance to Christian monastic life.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #2004
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Should have read; a follower of Gurdjieff's work. Stocco researched Gurdjieff works.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #2005
thaskalos

Quote:
Now that we are clear, in my opinion it seems, from the works I have read, the teachings sound very similar in substance to Christian monastic life.
Quite the opposite. In fact...Gurdjieff called his method the "Fourth Way", in order to emphasize that it wasn't geared for the "monastics"...but for those who were fully immersed in the SECULAR world...with all its "traps and delusions".

Tell me that you want to "investigate" Gurdjieff...and I'll send you a nice introductory guide -- totally free of charge.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #2006
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Okay so Gurdjieff teaches man does not have an immortal soul. This seems to be common knowledge regarding Gurdjieff's teachings and from what I understand man has to do work to obtain a soul.

Of course the above is not part of Christian monastic life.

Gurdjieff has been bandied about this thread many times. I started to read about Gurdgieff and works from his followers, ex followers, and people like Stocco who researched Gurdjieff's teachings out of curiosity.

Gurdjieff was raised a Christian, Russian Orthodox and influenced by monastics. According to William Patrick Patterson, a student of Lord John Pentland, Henry John Sinclair, a pupil of Ouspensky, Gurdjieff is a Christian.

Also, Gurdjieff's funeral services were held in the Russian Orthodox Church and his burial performed according to that church's prescriptions.

Supposedly, he taught the prayer of the heart, which is also a very much Orthodox Christian tradition.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #2007
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Quite the opposite. In fact...Gurdjieff called his method the "Fourth Way", in order to emphasize that it wasn't geared for the "monastics"...but for those who were fully immersed in the SECULAR world...with all its "traps and delusions".

Tell me that you want to "investigate" Gurdjieff...and I'll send you a nice introductory guide -- totally free of charge.
I'll buy that the emphasis was upon those in the secular world and not monastics. In fact, I strongly believe my Church made an error in separating the monastic teachings, as esoteric teachings, as unobtainable to the people in the secular world.

I'll pm about your generous offer.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #2008
thaskalos

Quote:
Okay so Gurdjieff teaches man does not have an immortal soul. This seems to be common knowledge regarding Gurdjieff's teachings and from what I understand man has to do work to obtain a soul.

Of course the above is not part of Christian monastic life.

Gurdjieff has been bandied about this thread many times. I started to read about Gurdgieff and works from his followers, ex followers, and people like Stocco who researched Gurdjieff's teachings out of curiosity.

Gurdjieff was raised a Christian, Russian Orthodox and influenced by monastics. According to William Patrick Patterson, a student of Lord John Pentland, Henry John Sinclair, a pupil of Ouspensky, Gurdjieff is a Christian.

Also, Gurdjieff's funeral services were held in the Russian Orthodox Church and his burial performed according to that church's prescriptions.

Supposedly, he taught the prayer of the heart, which is also a very much Orthodox Christian tradition.

Gurdjieff taught that man does NOT possess an "eternal soul" from the outset...but that he can DEVELOP an "eternal soul", if he is willing to put forth the necessary "effort" to acquire one. And this "effort" had nothing to do with "faith", and "praying". Now...does this sound like "monastic Russian Orthodox Christianity" to you?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #2009
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Gurdjieff taught that man does NOT possess an "eternal soul" from the outset...but that he can DEVELOP an "eternal soul", if he is willing to put forth the necessary "effort" to acquire one. And this "effort" had nothing to do with "faith", and "praying". Now...does this sound like "monastic Russian Orthodox Christianity" to you?
That is why I said a repackaging, I did not mean everything verbatim. The idea itself about developing an eternal soul is definitely not monastic either.
George Washington
Old 05-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #2010
boxcar

Quote:
Is that what you got from the several Gurdjieff works that you've supposedly read? What sort of "suffering and work" did Gurdjieff write about? Don't worry...I'll wait until you browse the internet for the answer.

Why is it so important for you to pretend that you've "investigated" the other religions, before embracing your own?
Didn't I read somewhere that you're anti-emoticons?