Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
horses4courses

LV bettor takes down $463K FG Black Gold jackpot

Tremendous hit by what sounds like a very nice guy.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...e.cgi?id=43100
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
ManU918

That was a good read thanks for posting.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
iceknight

Congrats to him.. and

these words of his
"I would love to see an innovative new wager that is sort of similar to current jackpot wagers, but with a twist -- something like a Jackpot Pick 7 with a smaller increment that also had a provision to include more mandatory payout days. Say, every time the pool hit $300,000, one half of that pool would continue to carry over as the jackpot pool, but the other half would come out to be the seed money for a one-day mandatory payoff day. That way, you would still have a chance to hit the jackpot on a daily basis and take down the whole thing, but everyone would have a chance to get a big payday on the mandatory payout days. The pools would be massive and more people would have more frequent chances to make really nice scores. That would put more money in the hands of more people and I think that the more big winners there are, the better it is for the game."
are awesome!
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Grits

Quote:
He repeatedly acknowledged that alongside handicapping acumen, luck plays an important part in taking down the carryover portion of a wager like the Black Gold 5.

"I am so excited to have been able to hit it, but I could have picked those same five winners and still split the pool with someone else who had a great day and managed to find them, too. Any horseplayer who has such an ego to think they're the greatest in the world for getting lucky on a day like that needs to check their ego. I got lucky Saturday and things worked out my way, and I wish there was a wager that would give more people more chances to have a day like this.
One cannot help but smile and be elated for this wise and gentle spoken man. Everyday, all over, there are people like him, quietly, going about their day. Playing this sport in the same way that he is. With the understanding of how difficult it is, and with the humility to realize that he is not alone, that he's not "the greatest". I wish him well!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
ronsmac

he sounds like a good guy but the fairgrounds has a great product? everyone has their opinion but I was surprised to hear him say that.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Ray

[QUOTE=ronsmac]he sounds like a good guy but the fairgrounds has a great product? everyone has their opinion but I was surprised to hear him say that.[/QUOTE

If I hit for that much at beaulah park of probably say the same thing. LOL
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
ronsmac

[QUOTE=Ray]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
he sounds like a good guy but the fairgrounds has a great product? everyone has their opinion but I was surprised to hear him say that.[/QUOTE

Good point.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Mystic

[QUOTE=Ray]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
he sounds like a good guy but the fairgrounds has a great product? everyone has their opinion but I was surprised to hear him say that.[/QUOTE

Lol! Good one!
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Glad to see an "Everyday guy" take down a haul like this, well done, its good for the game if the average horseplayer can make a hit like this, glad they did a writeup on this and thanks to the winner for making himself known and agreeing to an interview.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Glad to see an "Everyday guy" take down a haul like this, well done, its good for the game if the average horseplayer can make a hit like this, glad they did a writeup on this and thanks to the winner for making himself known and agreeing to an interview.
"Everyday guy" betting $1,764 in a Jackpot 5 wager?

Good article, sounds like a real gent, but I suspect he's not your average horseplayer from Las Vegas. But maybe I'm just jealous being a BDH myself.

Kind of like his idea of a mandatory payout of half the pool once a threshold was hit - would keep some of the "traditional" pool players interested.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
jdhanover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
"Everyday guy" betting $1,764 in a Jackpot 5 wager?

Good article, sounds like a real gent, but I suspect he's not your average horseplayer from Las Vegas. But maybe I'm just jealous being a BDH myself.

Kind of like his idea of a mandatory payout of half the pool once a threshold was hit - would keep some of the "traditional" pool players interested.
Agree - $1,800 and generally only chases carryovers. Not quite your average Joe.

Still, impressive hit and sounds like a good guy
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
This guy is far from an "average" player.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
NY BRED
GARY

LV Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
This guy is far from an "average" player.
Agreed, especially on a Saturday play at FG.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
AndyC

It certainly sounds like the winner of the jackpot is a great guy. But is a he a good gambler or just an incredibly lucky one? The FG jackpot bet does not attract much handle at all even with large carryovers. Last Saturday the new money was a whopping 8.67% of the carryover. The winner accounted for 4.68% of the pool all by himself. Nearly all big sophisticated players avoid the bet. Does any knowledgeable gambler want to play a bet where the effective takeout is 62.5% just to get a shot at hitting the jackpot?

So is the bet so bad that it becomes good at some point for a gambler willing to risk large sums like the winner did? (channeling Yogi Berra) Is that what the winner was hoping for or was he like a Power Ball Lotto player looking at the jackpot and playing without regard to a rational analysis.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
1st time lasix

EVERY "jackpot"-type {one winner only} wager is a very poor bet for a player-unless it is manditory payout date. Simple math. No one on earth can convince me otherwise with any argument. It does generate daily sucker money to the track however--- so i am not surprised there are so many of them nationwide. I "had" the fifty cent pick five at Gulfstream on Sunday....It was a nice hit. A logical play in the preceding race would have given me the pick six consolation. Still not enough to lure my interest until the force out day. Of course ...I am totally amaxed how many players don't actually know the take-out percentages of the exotic pools they utilize. Seems to me-- one really ought to truly know the "rules" of the game they are playing. Kudos to those that hit those jackpot "consols" but i wonder if they would be far..far.. better off using their handicapping accumin in other pools.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply