Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #16
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
Dean, in a case like this where the track holding the meet doesn't allow wagering, who sets the takeout rate?
The rights are owned by a South Africa hub, then they beam it out. I am unsure what the host fee is, i.e. whether or not US tracks can lower that juice, or merrily just charge what they charge.

I'll ask around.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
Dean, in a case like this where the track holding the meet doesn't allow wagering, who sets the takeout rate?
More importantly who is getting the money? It's one thing if at least the track is getting something to put back into the product, but this looks like all ADW gravy.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #18
Ray

The wagering hub in South Africa has set the takeout rate in this case.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #19
upthecreek

From Gambling Fact & Fictions

The mathematics of the racetrack taking 20% out of each pari-mutuel betting pool is a simple recipe for bankroll destruction. The greatest horse race handicappers who ever lived and ever will live, get their bankrolls crushed every time by this 20% takeout. The greatest handicappers may win for a day or a week, but the truths of the Factual Laws of Gambling will always catch up and obliterate the winning money and the original bankroll. The Factual Laws of Gambling applies to every human being on earth including you. Whenever there is any takeout or house edge, then eventually all players will be ground out and lose their entire bankroll. As longtime horse race bettors know, losing an entire bankroll does not take very long especially with the availability to bet on hundreds of races per day through simulcasting.
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #20
DeanT

Still brutal, but last night's referenced chat with the DRF folks relating to "all wagers" is incorrect.

https://twitter.com/HplayersAssnNA/s...73518949335040

Getting this information was a little more difficult than it should've been. But I think this is square now.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

First I have to wrap my head around the phrase "The Factual Laws of Gambling", henceforth which I will refer to as the FLOG, and then Dean points me to a twitter thread with a picture of Kevin Cox on it. I am so out of this conversation.....
Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
Grits

Al, I'm not betting anything in Dubai when I have so much to choose from tomorrow at GP, FG, Big A, SA, etc. I can easily watch.

Still, if I were betting I wouldn't have any problem with someone in South Africa (anyone but DeBeers) getting all the rake as opposed to it going to the track. I mean, seriously, we're talking DUBAI. Like they don't have enough coin on hand for any and all costs and maintenance.

I'm surprised this is even being debated.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
JohnGalt1

We, like many others, just found out about that crazy takeout.

What was the take out last year?
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #24
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Al, I'm not betting anything in Dubai when I have so much to choose from tomorrow at GP, FG, Big A, SA, etc. I can easily watch.

Still, if I were betting I wouldn't have any problem with someone in South Africa (anyone but DeBeers) getting all the rake as opposed to it going to the track. I mean, seriously, we're talking DUBAI. Like they don't have enough coin on hand for any and all costs and maintenance.

I'm surprised this is even being debated.
Ok, for you I will come back. Purpose of take is supposed to be to help finance the product. Not sure what we and much of the world will be financing in S Africa. High demand items can charge higher prices and get away with it though. Personally I love international racing and spotted a few opportunities, but will need to watch those prices closely if I do plunge.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #25
Grits

Excellent point about South Africa.....we may never know.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #26
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
More importantly who is getting the money? It's one thing if at least the track is getting something to put back into the product, but this looks like all ADW gravy.
This is a good point, where's the money going?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #27
Ray

HANA Posted this update

@BH_FAngst: Seen some debate on World Cup card takeout. Just talked with Nelson Clemmens of AmWest. He said 20% straight wagers, 27% all others.

Better but nowhere near good enough.

This is the last time I trust tweets from DRF. I should know better than to not confirm info from them before running with it my apologies.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #28
olddaddy

20% on straights and 27% on exotics are higher than any north american tracks. Its larceny no matter how its spun but the worst part is that no one knew this during the carnival meet and who knows how long before that. I wonder now what the take is in all international racing.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
This is the last time I trust tweets from DRF. I should know better than to not confirm info from them before running with it my apologies.
What exactly did the tweet say that was incorrect? There are plenty of bets Saturday from Dubai that will cost you 27%. The tweet didn't say EVERY wager was a 27% take.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't trust DRF tweets...the tweet you posted certainly wasn't wrong.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #30
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy
20% on straights and 27% on exotics are higher than any north american tracks. Its larceny no matter how its spun but the worst part is that no one knew this during the carnival meet and who knows how long before that. I wonder now what the take is in all international racing.
Not quite. TuP straights are 20.75% and Pen and Prx tris and supers are 30%, and AsD's are 29%. Fort Erie and Hastings' tris are both above 27%

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply