Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
Secretariat

Hagel and Lugar chime in on Iraq

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/in...ner=ALTAVISTA1
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I've got a lot of respect for Dick Luger. Been senator from Indiana (my home state) for as long as I can remember. For him to be coming out as critical to his party's policy is a very strong sign that things are not good.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
JustMissed

Don't Worry Al, It's part of the plan!

Quote:
Originally posted by OTM Al
I've got a lot of respect for Dick Luger. Been senator from Indiana (my home state) for as long as I can remember. For him to be coming out as critical to his party's policy is a very strong sign that things are not good.
Don't worry Al, it's part of the plan.

They are baiting lying Kerry to go back into his Dovish/Deaniack mode prior to the debates.

The POW/Anit-War/Sleeping with Jane Fonda ads should run just prior to the last debate.Then when lying John Kerry has gone too far Dovish to return,BLAM, President Bush slams the trap shut.

Between now and November 2, when the RNC says "Jump", the legislators say "How High".

JM
JustMissed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Secretariat

Re: Don't Worry Al, It's part of the plan!

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMissed
Don't worry Al, it's part of the plan.

They are baiting lying Kerry to go back into his Dovish/Deaniack mode prior to the debates.

The POW/Anit-War/Sleeping with Jane Fonda ads should run just prior to the last debate.Then when lying John Kerry has gone too far Dovish to return,BLAM, President Bush slams the trap shut.

Between now and November 2, when the RNC says "Jump", the legislators say "How High".

JM
lol....Lugar and Hagel are "baiting" Kerry....man, you are on the fringe!!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
Secretariat

This is a real issue.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=542&ncid=716
Old 09-16-2004, 04:34 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Sec

You are aware that after the Revolutionary war the United States had mini civil wars and even small battles with leftover British supporters for as long as 26 years? Some small colonies even declared themselves back under British rule depending on who was ruling the colony at the time. You expect Iraq to roll over and play dead in 1.5 years? If we are lucky we might see a calm country with some form of peacefulness during our lifetime. But there are going to be growing pains for decades to come. It is a natural process.........for adding a measure of Democracy to the area. It has happen before, but it doesn't always take hold. There is historical precedent. The overall stability of the country will ultimately fall upon the Iraqi people. There are other countries where it has taken years...............this is just the start. to assume anything else would be mistaken.

Last edited by JustRalph; 09-16-2004 at 04:35 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2004, 04:39 AM   #7
Secretariat

How much is it gonna cost JR? And are you saying its gonna be 20 years to stabilize Iraq? How many more lives will be lost? And what is the guarantee that the mission will ever be truly accomplished? Maybe the American people would like to know those things rather than the Bush Yale cheer? By the looks of this article approved by our CIA Hagle and Lugar want to know....

Last edited by Secretariat; 09-16-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:14 AM   #8
betchatoo

Quote:
Originally posted by JustRalph
Sec

You are aware that after the Revolutionary war the United States had mini civil wars and even small battles with leftover British supporters for as long as 26 years? Some small colonies even declared themselves back under British rule depending on who was ruling the colony at the time. You expect Iraq to roll over and play dead in 1.5 years? If we are lucky we might see a calm country with some form of peacefulness during our lifetime. But there are going to be growing pains for decades to come. It is a natural process.........for adding a measure of Democracy to the area. It has happen before, but it doesn't always take hold. There is historical precedent. The overall stability of the country will ultimately fall upon the Iraqi people. There are other countries where it has taken years...............this is just the start. to assume anything else would be mistaken.

One of the major differences I see is that the American Reveloution was started by people within the country. It had a group of intelligent men, who, while they fought viciously amongst themselves, eventually compromised and developed a plan for this country.

The so called "liberation of Iraq" came from an outside country and a leadership that had no cohesive plan of what to do after they toppled Saddam.

We have spent billions of dollars and risk the lives of brave Americans daily. JR, I'm willing to bet if Bush told the country what you just did, that we might have to wait 20 years to see the results (which means how many lives and how many billions or trillions of dollars)we want in Iraq, that he couldn't get elected as dogcatcher.
Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
betchatoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #9
Equineer
My FFV At The Wire

JustRalph,

Good post and reality alert!

More than the bad intel about WMDs and Al Qaeda links, it really puzzles me how we rushed into Iraq as if we were liberating Paris in WW-II.

Paraphrasing Bill Mahar.... our government thought it was making a quick action/adventure flick... but our 3-week victory turns out to have been just the trailer, filmed in advance... only now we are actually making the movie, and God knows how long that will take.
Equineer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #10
delayjf

One problem here is we may never know what we have prevented by invading Iraq possible one distinct possibity was a nuclear attack here in the US.

One often overlooked benefit of the Invasion is Syria gave up its wmd programs, which possibly were being funded by Iraq. By the way, has anyone been able to account for the over 500 chem/bio weapons that are still missing?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #11
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally posted by delayjf
One problem here is we may never know what we have prevented by invading Iraq possible one distinct possibity was a nuclear attack here in the US.
Really...where are those WMD's? Those nuclear weapons? You don't get it DJay. We were sold a bag of goods based on Chalabi's claims, and forged Niger documents. There was no "imminent" threat as Tenet and NOW Bush has said.

He made a unilateral decision alone which was wrong, based on faulty intelligence, and it has cost the american people loads in terms of lives and money.

To state "we may never know" is an equivocation. That's wrong, we do know. We found no WMD's. We found nothing of significance to prove that Hussein was either linked to 911 OR had a massive weapons program that was a threat to the US. Why else do you think the reason for war was changed to liberation for Iraqis? And now they want us out. Rumsfeld himself calls us occupiers. Senator Hagel terms events over there as "an embarrassment." That the intelligence report just approved (AND requested by President Bush) predicts possible Iraqi civil war in 2005 and has biting criticism by Republicans Lugar and Hagel and has been approved by McLaughlin of the CIA. I'm not even counting Dem's like Biden who are ballistic over the prospects contained in the report.

I'm sorry. I'm worried about our soldiers over there. I don't want them dying in another countries Civil War which was pre-emptively engaged in based on flawed intelligence, "miscalcuations", and a host of "maybes" and "we'll never knows". That's not leadership, it's a travesty.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #12
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

Lugar, Hagel, and Biden have all three been making the same statements for months and months and months....I respect these three Senators quite a bit, they have always seemed like straight shooters.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2004, 07:54 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally posted by Secretariat
Really...where are those WMD's? Those nuclear weapons? You don't get it DJay. We were sold a bag of goods based on Chalabi's claims, and forged Niger documents. There was no "imminent" threat as Tenet and NOW Bush has said.

The Brits don't agree with you. And your source on the Nuclear attempts was discredited by the Brits and the 9-11 commission. Djay is right.........we don't really know. But I do know that Saddam won't be financing France and Germany and anybody else who says they are our ally during the day and ships missiles to our enemy during the night.

I'm sorry. I'm worried about our soldiers over there. I don't want them dying in another countries Civil War which was pre-emptively engaged in based on flawed intelligence, "miscalcuations", and a host of "maybes" and "we'll never knows". That's not leadership, it's a travesty.

This is almost laughable. you care about getting the money back into social programs and electing a liberal administration. end of story..........

Old 09-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Ralph, I suspect rather strongly that had some members on this board been involved in out revolution, we would still be sipping tea and munching biscuits. Liberals talk a good game about people's rights and wanting to save everybody, but they are generally pretty short on action. Talk is what liberals are all about.
Like Kerry, they have values but do not stand up for them.

Last edited by Tom; 09-16-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2004, 08:56 PM   #15
betchatoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Ralph, I suspect rather strongly that had some members on this board been involved in out revolution, we would still be sipping tea and munching biscuits. Liberals talk a good game about people's rights and wanting to save everybody, but they are generally pretty short on action. Talk is what liberals are all about.
Like Kerry, they have values but do not stand up for them.
Actually it was the conservatives of the time who favored remaining part of Great Britain. If it were up to them we'd still be wearing powdered wigs and 3 cornered hats (and I don't look good in hats)
Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
betchatoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply