Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:27 PM   #226
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Contraction isn’t going to make owners want to watch their horses run on tv, they will leave the game
What??....Is that YOUR argument against contraction?....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2021, 12:24 AM   #227
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Greyhound racing has gone through quite a bit of contraction the past decade, not sure that makes it a better to bet on.

I dont know why people would breed horses if there are like 1000 running per year. I dont think Ky would be keen on this contraction as suggested earlier.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #228
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I dont know why people would breed horses if there are like 1000 running per year. I dont think Ky would be keen on this contraction as suggested earlier.
I'm sorry, but Kentucky isn't running our sport. I'm only interested in what's best for the game to survive and then move forward.....Kentucky is NOT central to the equation, IMO.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:59 AM   #229
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Horses running at the high end is what drives this sport. Less owners means less horses bred which means fewer horses that can compete on the high end which leads to less formful racing which leads to less players which leads handle which leads to lower purses which drives even more owners out of the sport, then we continue watching it go down the drain after somebody flushes the sport with the contraction lever on the toilet.
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2021, 02:35 AM   #230
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

We've Had to Repeat This Message Too Many Times

Quote:
Horses running at the high end is what drives this sport. Less owners means less horses bred which means fewer horses that can compete on the high end which leads to less formful racing which leads to less players which leads handle which leads to lower purses which drives even more owners out of the sport, then we continue watching it go down the drain after somebody flushes the sport with the contraction lever on the toilet.
Have you even read a portion of this thread?...I Don't believe you have, as your post is so backwards, it isn't even accidently funny.

Put the customer first, break-up the monopoly of super-trainers, cleanup the drug problems, appoint a racing czar for the entire country....These are just for starters.....We have talked about many revamps that are needed endlessly, yet nothing seems like it changes, except the continual decline.

The Tail has been wagging the Dog for too long, new leadership is needed, the old guard needs the boot, the sooner the better for the BETTOR. Take 2 tracks in any state that are running 5 horse fields and combine them into one entity running a minimum of 8 horse fields....Individual states are the biggest problem, they must be unified into regions with a single racing Hub for that specific area.

Contraction is GOOD and is the ONLY way the sport can survive, regroup and reinvent itself.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #231
airford1

Quote:
Contraction isn’t going to make owners want to watch their horses run on tv, they will leave the game
True statement. Like it or not the sport needs Owners and we want to see our horses run in person. My Horse, my Money, if I have to move to be a part of this Great Sport, well aint going to happen so I hope you do well with new owners. Good luck with that.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #232
airford1

"Contraction is GOOD and is the ONLY way the sport can survive, regroup and reinvent itself."
HUM, this has been a problem on the Horizon for DECADES and the only things we saw to reinvent or right the ship has been ? NOTHING of any impact. Contraction? Do you think there will be any Turf racing in America with the inevitable Bankruptcy of American Horse Racing,. My bad we call it Contraction? How many river beds have grass, because that is where the racing will be in a few decades if that long. Peta has us in their sights with media support. Horse racing feels the pain , but cant pull the fork out. Call me Crazy
Old 07-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #233
airford1

Quote:
California, Close the Southern Track and combine it with the Northern Track. The fight to gain control of the racing dates would interesting let alone the fact you are combining Synthetic track with dirt track runners and 700 miles between the 2 tracks. Northern California horsemen are dealing with a cheaper horse population than what we find at Santa Anita and Del Mar, how is that going to work? You will lose at least HALF of the owners and the better horses will leave like they already have. We haven't helped ourselves in 50 years and we think we are going right the ship with buzz words. Maybe the ship has Sailed.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #234
classhandicapper

Any time you reduce the number of horses being bred, you are less likely to breed high quality horses, but it's not straight forward.

We are still going to breed Into Mischief, Curlin, Tapit, Street Sense, Liam's Map, Candy Ride, American Pharoah etc.. as many times as we do now. It's the 3rd tier and lower quality statebred sires that would be reduced. So for discussion's sake, if we breed half as many horses going forward (kind if like we are doing now relative to the peak anyway), we aren't going to lose half of the stakes quality horses. We'd lose a few at the margin.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-12-2021 at 09:56 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #235
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Any time you reduce the number of horses being bred, you are less likely to breed high quality horses, but it's not straight forward.

We are still going to breed Into Mischief, Curlin, Tapit, Street Sense, Liam's Map, Candy Ride, American Pharoah etc.. as many times as we do now. It's the 3rd tier and lower quality statebred sires that would be reduced. So for discussion's sake, if we breed half as many horses going forward (kind if like we are doing now relative to the peak anyway), we aren't going to lose half of the stakes quality horses. We'd lose a few at the margin.
This would be a great conversation to have with a breeding outfit and I agree with you that the high end would still be breeding. My guess is that a lot of the high end wouldn’t be breeding in the US and for those that do, even more of their offspring would end up overseas
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #236
dilanesp

Quote:

Right. And that is SOME loss, because sometimes horses with pedestrian breeding like Snow Chief and John Henry become big successes. So we would lose a few of those.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #237
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Right. And that is SOME loss, because sometimes horses with pedestrian breeding like Snow Chief and John Henry become big successes. So we would lose a few of those.
The problem is I haven't heard a good alternative to contraction.

We saw what happens when fewer tracks are open during the pandemic. The remaining ones got a boat load of extra handle. There's huge operating leverage in that and it doesn't stop any positive action that can be taken to grow the percentage of the total gambling dollar directed towards racing. All that extra free cash could theoretically be invested in the sport and change the economics for a lot of stakeholders (assuming politics is not too much of a drag).

As sports gambling grows and poker returns racing is probably looking at smaller percentage of a slowly growing pie. It will be very lucky to run in place (after inflation).

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-12-2021 at 04:28 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #238
AndyC

Quote:

We saw what happens when fewer tracks are open during the pandemic. The remaining ones got a boat load of extra handle. There's huge operating leverage in that and it doesn't stop any positive action that can be taken to grow the percentage of the total gambling dollar directed towards racing. All that extra free cash could theoretically be invested in the sport and change the economics for a lot of stakeholders (assuming politics is not too much of a drag).

As sports gambling grows and poker returns racing is probably looking at smaller percentage of a slowly growing pie. It will be very lucky to run in place (after inflation).

Don't you think the remaining tracks got a boatload of extra handle because gamblers were limited in their options?

Contraction will necessarily bring fewer qualified trainers, jockeys, grooms, and other necessary personnel. The minor leagues of racing will be where the contraction takes place and that is where people acquire their skills to be in the big leagues.

As an old-timer in racing I acquired my love for the sport by going to live racing. I am guessing that contraction would mean that many future fans would need to get hooked via TV. I am not optimistic that racing can generate enough new interest when access to live racing is greatly diminished.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #239
castaway01

I see this, hundreds of posts about "contraction" and I wonder what world you are all living in. Here's a few facts that I don't understand how you've missed.

The government doesn't own racetracks. This isn't Hong Kong. You can't "order" places to close. So "time for contraction" is a flawed premise to begin with.

But then everyone who wants "contraction"....aren't you paying attention????

In 1992, there were over 70,000 horse races run in the United States.

In 2008, it was slightly over 50,000 races.

In 2020, it was 27,700 races. You want pre-pandemic, in 2019 it was a little over 36,000 races. So that's very close to 50% contraction of the industry in less than 30 years. Those who want contraction...how can you not see that we already have been "contracting" for three decades? That's the horse racing reality you're already living in.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #240
dilanesp

Quote:

My view has been that huge contraction was inevitable once simulcasting began, because handle would concentrate among a few tracks.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply