Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
porchy44

The case for Exaggerator

1) Since he has changed his running style (late)
a )First in the Santa Anita Derby.
b) Fast closing second in the Derby.

2) Churchill was biased Thurs Fri Sat Derby Week
a) Every dirt winner those days were no worse than
4th at the first call.
b) Nyquist was 2nd at first call.

3) Preakness will probably be run on a sloppy track.
a) Exaggerator fired a big one in the Santa Anita slop.

4) derby winner Nyquist will be overbet.
a) Think of the $2 dollar tickets alone.

Last edited by porchy44; 05-18-2016 at 06:39 PM.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
SecretAgentMan

Bet $10,000 on Exaggerator to win if you like him, he will go off 4-1
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
Bet $10,000 on Exaggerator to win if you like him, he will go off 4-1
You'll never get 4-1, more like 2-1
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
Valuist

Exaggerator certainly gets a big shot, but not because he was hindered by any so-called speed bias. One turn races are a better gauge for biases, and of the 6 one turn dirt races at CD on Derby day, not one was won wire to wire. And if anything, the inner paths looked like they were not the place to be.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
zico20

How about he has to beat him some time. He is 0 for 4 against him at numerous distances. He simply isn't as good and will need Nyquist to run a sub par race in order to beat him.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
porchy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Exaggerator certainly gets a big shot, but not because he was hindered by any so-called speed bias. One turn races are a better gauge for biases, and of the 6 one turn dirt races at CD on Derby day, not one was won wire to wire. And if anything, the inner paths looked like they were not the place to be.

For 3 days pressers were lights out. (2nd 3rd 4th first call). When Nyquist broke second in Derby I declared him the winner 10 seconds into the race.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44
For 3 days pressers were lights out. (2nd 3rd 4th first call). When Nyquist broke second in Derby I declared him the winner 10 seconds into the race.
Yes, however Ky Derby runners-up have won only 2 of the last 59 runnings of the Preakness. Whereas 22 of the Derby winners have repeated in the Preakness in that span.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
RXB

Going back four more years will include a streak where three of four Derby second finishers won the Preakness. Let's include that; it's still 22-5 over the past 63 years for the Derby winners vs the runners-up.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
How about he has to beat him some time. He is 0 for 4 against him at numerous distances. He simply isn't as good and will need Nyquist to run a sub par race in order to beat him.
No he doesn't. He just has to move up a couple of lengths on the slop.

Which he does. I am betting him.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
f2tornado

Exaggerator will be able to make his closing kick earlier given the minus half panel. He should be running in less traffic. He had to check in the Derby which may or may not have cost him the top spot. It's also possible the inside of the wet track for Nyquist will not be as good as the middle. Nyquist will be inside of honest speed. That can be a hinderence but had no trouble in Derby. i heard closers fared well last week at the track when wet. This would be opposite the relative speed favoring CD track Derby day.

I expect Nyquist and Exaggerator to be 1-2 in either order but also would not be shocked to see one or other falter. I remember Orb sucking air a few years back and he looked every bit like Nyquist until that point.
f2tornado is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado
Exaggerator will be able to make his closing kick earlier given the minus half panel. He should be running in less traffic. He had to check in the Derby which may or may not have cost him the top spot. It's also possible the inside of the wet track for Nyquist will not be as good as the middle. Nyquist will be inside of honest speed. That can be a hinderence but had no trouble in Derby. i heard closers fared well last week at the track when wet. This would be opposite the relative speed favoring CD track Derby day.

I expect Nyquist and Exaggerator to be 1-2 in either order but also would not be shocked to see one or other falter. I remember Orb sucking air a few years back and he looked every bit like Nyquist until that point.
Orb was a closer, nothing like Nyquist and had been the beneficiary of some fortunate pace scenarios, especially in the Ky Derby. Again, anyone who examines the historical Ky Derby charts will see very clearly that the winners who used a front-half running style have repeated their wins at a high rate in the Preakness whereas the backrunning Derby winners fail most of the time.

The second place finishers from the Ky Derby have garnered plenty of seconds and thirds in the Preakness but haven't won very often. I first pointed this out prior to the 2012 Preakness when a lot of people were expecting Bodemeister to turn the tables on I'll Have Another in the Preakness.

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showt...ss#post1277142
Old 05-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #12
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
No he doesn't. He just has to move up a couple of lengths on the slop.

Which he does. I am betting him.
Nyquist will also move up in the mud with superior off track breeding.
This race is a walkover for Nyquist.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #13
arw629
First Time Gelding

Exxxagertor has bounce written all over him ...0 for 4 vs Nyquist ...Exxxagertor will be the horse overbet the most in this race
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #14
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629
Exxxagertor has bounce written all over him ...0 for 4 vs Nyquist ...Exxxagertor will be the horse overbet the most in this race
Agreed, plus he has to catch him (Nyquist).....most likely in the slop........he will be at the mercy of the pace. If there is none, he's done. This could be interesting because many others have the potential of being overlooked.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
Nyquist will also move up in the mud with superior off track breeding.
This race is a walkover for Nyquist.
Plenty of horses with "mud breeding" don't move up on the mud the way Exaggerator does.

This race is no "walkover" on paper.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply