Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
NY BRED
GARY

BELMONT IN 30 VS BELMONT INSIDER

any information if the former complete race card replays
(Belmont in 30) has been discontinued in favor of Belmont Insider.

I've called VZN FIOS, checked the menu, seems like the race replays
are gone.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED
any information if the former complete race card replays
(Belmont in 30) has been discontinued in favor of Belmont Insider.

I've called VZN FIOS, checked the menu, seems like the race replays
are gone.
The replay show is gone.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
The replay show is gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV1LzXf1TKQ
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Tall One
Scum Bum!

I sat my DVR for a series recording of that?!!?

When Blewitt mentioned the Harvey Pack era of the replay show was being changed, had no clue it was totally going away...I know it's him and Migliore, but I was hoping for a jock's insight into the replays..WTF man.

Pack throwing his program at the end of the show is the style I still use leaving Keeneland..
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I prefer the 30 replay format.

Watching the races on a full screen TV with slo-mo and pause and rewind is much better than anything on any computer.

The new show would be much better suited to nyra.com - they fill so much of the screen with crap on the bottom you can't see anyways, and what races they do show, there is not much to be gained from viewing them. I like about 15-20% of the show. But I will be saving 2.5 hours on my DVR every week now.
A long running institution is going to be sorely missed.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
The replay show is gone.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Say it AINT SO!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
NY BRED
GARY

Belmont Insider

I share all your thoughts, can't understand the reason for this change.

Analyzing 4-5 horse fields during the week makes little sense.

I remember Harvey, met him several times in handicapping contests,
truly an incredible player who delivered a great analysis of racing
and anecdotes of people associated with the game.

For newbies I'd recommend buying Harvey's autobiography,
"May the horse be with You".
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'm watching Saturday's replay right now - sorry to say it is terrible.

Nothing worthwhile after 15 minutes. Richie talking about the middle move that set up the winner, but they only show the stretch run, NOT the middle move.
Still taking up 1/3 of the screen with race results - which are available on the internet.

Not much content to this show.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
the little guy

We are trying something new to broaden the appeal of our racing. Given how much things have changed in the over 30 years since Harvey Pack started Thoroughbred Action, with replays now available in a variety of ways ( for those in the NYC area we show them twice on the NYRA Network ) including free access on nyra.com, without even requiring a login of any kind, we felt a show merely consisting of replays and corresponding prices neither served our potential customers as well as possible nor did it make the best use of the time we have on the MSG Network.

We fully understand that some of our long standing customers will be disappointed, and for that we apologize, but once again given the availability of our replays, we feel that a more than reasonable alternative is available.

We are constantly beseiged by people saying the industry does not do enough to try to encourage new customers, or modernize our approaches. In my opinion, this show is an attempt to do just that. I am sorry if some people do not like it, but also disappointed that some also seem unwilling to even give it a fair chance. It is a work in progress. I am very confident that over time it will be a model television show for the entire industry.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Model?
I gotta say, I certainly hope not.
Not the model it is using right now.
This would be the show to have on the internet - with no visuals really needed.
The 30 show was about 100% visuals. Watching two guys talk for half the show is TVG level. You guys used to set the standard. Jason's comments and showing isolated shots was extremely helpful.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
We are trying something new to broaden the appeal of our racing. Given how much things have changed in the over 30 years since Harvey Pack started Thoroughbred Action, with replays now available in a variety of ways ( for those in the NYC area we show them twice on the NYRA Network ) including free access on nyra.com, without even requiring a login of any kind, we felt a show merely consisting of replays and corresponding prices neither served our potential customers as well as possible nor did it make the best use of the time we have on the MSG Network.

We fully understand that some of our long standing customers will be disappointed, and for that we apologize, but once again given the availability of our replays, we feel that a more than reasonable alternative is available.

We are constantly beseiged by people saying the industry does not do enough to try to encourage new customers, or modernize our approaches. In my opinion, this show is an attempt to do just that. I am sorry if some people do not like it, but also disappointed that some also seem unwilling to even give it a fair chance. It is a work in progress. I am very confident that over time it will be a model television show for the entire industry.

In the other thread about the new show, I mentioned that I was skeptical at first, but after catching up on the first couple of episodes, I'm warming up to the new format. Blewitt mentioned they understand the "frustration" regarding the replays going away, but also noted the NYRA site for replays--from the past four years even--that are made available minutes after that particular race is run.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

I've felt that watching replays in HD on a 50+ inch tv is better than watching them at NYRA website on my 17 inch laptop monitor. I can just see more and its a much clearer picture.

Also, as far as showing results, they are available on the internet, but the video replays that some fans are taping, well those get lost forever. If i go back to the taped show to view a replay from a horse who ran 3 weeks ago, i miss out on that video to see 3 weeks old results, those results 3 weeks later don't matter at all, but having a smaller screen to watch a replay does.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
Little Watermelon

I hat to be negative about every move that the NYRA makes, but I would rather have the complete replay without any analysis, so I can make my own analysis. I do not live in NY, so the replay shows and Sunday Ticket are mostly why I subscribe to Direct TV. Like SRU says, watching replays on a large screen TV is much better than on a computer screen.

I like the guys like John Imbriale who, when he did the replay show, showed as much of the races as he could, made little commentary, and left the rest to the viewer. Jason Blewitt is a nice guy, and has a good knowledge of the sport, but I don't want to hear him talk about races, I'd rather watch them myself.

If you continually disappoint long-standing customers, soon you won't have any customers.
Little Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Watermelon
I hat to be negative about every move that the NYRA makes, but I would rather have the complete replay without any analysis, so I can make my own analysis. I do not live in NY, so the replay shows and Sunday Ticket are mostly why I subscribe to Direct TV. Like SRU says, watching replays on a large screen TV is much better than on a computer screen.

I like the guys like John Imbriale who, when he did the replay show, showed as much of the races as he could, made little commentary, and left the rest to the viewer. Jason Blewitt is a nice guy, and has a good knowledge of the sport, but I don't want to hear him talk about races, I'd rather watch them myself.

If you continually disappoint long-standing customers, soon you won't have any customers.
Totally agree.

I'd rather have the actual product than some "expert" telling me about the product while not showing me the product while he's telling me about the product.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Watermelon

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer a straight replay show as opposed to watching a couple races with commentaries.

I don't live in the NY area either, but consider NYRA my home circuit. I haven't logged onto their site, but are the replays in HD? I ask because running the HD cable from my laptop to the 55" would be primo.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: