Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 02-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
While 12% on pick 3s is a good deal, the rest of their takeouts border on the obscene. 18% W-P-S, 21% doubles and exactas, 25% supras and Pick 4s. Just a word of caution. I sometimes bet them on mondays, but I don't kid myself into thinking I am getting a great deal.
That's very true, but the purpose of a pool party is to show our support for a specific pool at a specific track. I probably won't touch any of their other bets, but I'll definitely dive in with both feet for the pool party.

Regardless, it is important to know what takeout the other bets are as Robert pointed out. Hopefully they'll have such an increase in P3 handle that they'll lower all of their bets to 12%!
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
FiveWide

Thanks Dean for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated and sounds like fun. I've played SH quite a few times so I think I'll make an effort on Mondays to participate.

-Five
FiveWide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #18
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveWide
Thanks Dean for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated and sounds like fun. I've played SH quite a few times so I think I'll make an effort on Mondays to participate.

-Five
Good stuff. Jeff will hopefully have some good thoughts so check the blog if you are not a regular SAM player.

I am one of those folks who likes playing a day or a card for fun once in awhile, if others are hanging out playing. I found the pool party races kind of fun because of that. I spend tons of time on racing and betting and it is nice to kick back one day and watch the races and play a few dollars without being so serious. Good for the soul

I think someone will be on twitter that day with Bombs Away (and hopefully others) playing the card. We all have full time jobs so not guarantees, but we hope to.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
I didn't engage you in making any comments on here. I asked a question of DeanT, he responded to it, but then you and the poster before you did what has become so rampant on this site, which is to personally attack anyone who might have the audacity to not genuflect at the sight of HANA.
The melodrama is killing me lately. Personally attacked? Really?

Actually, what I think happened in this thread was that you were responded to in kind...you got back exactly what you were dishing out here...you came here in an aggressive fashion and were met with aggression in return. You expected something else? Why?

The fact is that HANA has done the pool party thing in the past at many different venues and is now concentrating on other ways to bring attention to the various issues negatively affecting horseplayers.

I hope you don't consider this yet another in a long line of supposed personal attacks.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
So no pool party because it's too much work?

If HANA is not in the business of doing whatever's necessary to promote a wager being offered for a low takeout and low minimum, then what are you guys doing? The original poster in this thread suggested the idea, which has been done in the past and he's met with resistance from a representative from the organization?

I just don't get it.
Here you go......you wanna help....... hit the link and buy something!

http://www.cafepress.com/BoycottCentral

I kind of like this one.......

Many many of us here at PaceAdvantage have done just that. Get it through you head that these guys are working for FREE!

You seem to be late to the POOL PARTY....

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-06-2011 at 01:53 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
Bob didn't "ask" about something. He suggested DOING something. Enormous difference, wouldn't you say? (Well, perhaps someone such as yourself ... who specializes in demanding that others do things for him ... shouldn't be expected to understand.)

And who in hell are YOU, exactly, to tell anyone why they should or shouldn't do anything? Did YOU put any time or effort into getting HANA started ... or to helping HANA rise to its current prominence? My money's on YOU routinely leaving that sort of annoyance to other people to do.

I think YOU should try being pro-active regarding HANA activities. Why don't YOU volunteer some time, instead of just bitching that others don't volunteer enough time in your behalf.
I've seen a lot of internet sycophants, but YOU sir continually rise to the top. Congrats.

I don't think anyone told anyone what they should or shouldn't be doing. If HANA is "giving horseplayers a voice" it seems funny that the last few times actual horseplayers (not sycophants) had comments or questioned the organization that is "representing" them, they were greeted with the "what are you doing?" line.

If people think that is a good way of handling things, fine. But I don't see how that is productive and I really don't see how that encourages more people that aren't already members of HANA to respond and interact with HANA.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #22
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
The melodrama is killing me lately. Personally attacked? Really?

Actually, what I think happened in this thread was that you were responded to in kind...you got back exactly what you were dishing out here...you came here in an aggressive fashion and were met with aggression in return. You expected something else? Why?

The fact is that HANA has done the pool party thing in the past at many different venues and is now concentrating on other ways to bring attention to the various issues negatively affecting horseplayers.

I hope you don't consider this yet another in a long line of supposed personal attacks.
Really? Some guy telling me who I am and what I do from the comfort of his keyboard. Take off the rose colored glasses with things involving HANA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
Bob didn't "ask" about something. He suggested DOING something. Enormous difference, wouldn't you say? (Well, perhaps someone such as yourself ... who specializes in demanding that others do things for him ... shouldn't be expected to understand.)

And who in hell are YOU, exactly, to tell anyone why they should or shouldn't do anything? Did YOU put any time or effort into getting HANA started ... or to helping HANA rise to its current prominence? My money's on YOU routinely leaving that sort of annoyance to other people to do.

I think YOU should try being pro-active regarding HANA activities. Why don't YOU volunteer some time, instead of just bitching that others don't volunteer enough time in your behalf.

Last edited by NTamm1215; 02-06-2011 at 11:59 AM.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

HANA cannot be just 3 or 4 people on the board. Obviously if 3 or 4 people doing something after they get home from work is what HANA is limited to, it's going to be less effective at everything. So, needless to say getting volunteers to do stuff is not just important, it's close to the whole ball game. The Boycott has volunteers. The Pool parties had volunteers. HANA has added volunteers as State Reps. There are more people now focusing on their specific areas, paying closer attention, talking to stakeholders, updating everyone in HANA. Need more of that, it's a big country with lots of tracks.

Getting volunteers is a pretty good indication it's something people care about. I don't know how HANA is supposed to get volunteers for things other than asking. But I do know HANA needs volunteers.

It seems pretty logical that if a horseplayer has self-identified themselves as caring a lot about a single issue -- they are a natural person to ask to volunteer to work with HANA on that issue, because they are fired up about it. "Generalized" volunteerism doesn't work really well, people generally have to care specifically about something, and want to work on it -- for it to happen. BombsAwayBob seems to fit the bill there. He wanted a Pool Party, he's doing stuff about it, and now HANA has guest handicappers and some promotion for it on their blog.

The HANA board has been criticized a lot in the past for NOT involving enough people, for trying to handle everything themselves. Which I basically agree with, but I do understand the flip-side of it. Not many people really want to volunteer, they're busy. But HANA does need to keep asking, because sometimes people say yes, and that's good for everyone. If that is admitting that HANA is not yet where they need to be so far as an organization, I agree -- I think anyone would. They need more people helping out -- and the easiest (tho in no way easy) way to get help is to ask. And their best chance of getting a yes is specifically asking the people who seem to be the most fired up about whatever the issue is.

All HANA is is regular horseplayers volunteering some of their time. That is HANA. If they ask you to volunteer or do something like send an email about an issue you care about it's not an insult or a brush-off, they're just asking you to be a part of HANA.

Last edited by chickenhead; 02-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
All HANA is is regular horseplayers volunteering some of their time. That is HANA. If they ask you to volunteer or do something like send an email about an issue you care about it's not an insult or a brush-off, they're just asking you to be a part of HANA.
That would be great if this was the case, but it isn't. Perception is everything. Maybe the message is being lost in translation because this is a message board, but I can assure you many horseplayers are turned off by some of the responses lately in these threads from HANA reps.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
DeanT

Just spoke to Jeff and he has been working on some stats etc for Sam Houston. Hopefully we'll get it up tonight or early tomorrow. If you are interested in Jeff's take and some stats on SAM, please check the blog!
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #26
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

Quote:
Maybe the message is being lost in translation because this is a message board, but I can assure you many horseplayers are turned off by some of the responses lately in these threads from HANA reps.
I don't doubt that's true, but I also don't know a lot of ways around it.

I'm both lazy and busy, I don't do much of anything to help HANA so far as doing anything. But if I took an issue to them of course I'd expect them to ask me for help, I just identified myself as someone that cares a lot about the issue. I may care more about this issue than anyone else either inside or outside of HANA. That's how the people I'm talking to got there in the first place, because they cared about something and wanted to work on it.

I think honestly part of the perception problem is that HANA is some group that's separate from players. HANA is not a track, HANA is not a tracks customer service organization. HANA is just a loose collection of horseplayers who have decided to pitch in and are currently working on X, or Y, hopefully to move the ball on that issue. Most of them currently doing something probably care most about X, or Y, that's why they have volunteered to work on them.

If you come to them with Z, they probably agree with you, they probably agree that Z is a good idea. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are all going to drop X and Y, Z might not be the issue that fires them up, personally, to the same degree as X and Y. Sometimes it will, other times it will take a back seat to X or Y. To absolutely do Z, and do a good job with it, they might need some new people working on Z.

That's just the way something like this works, there isn't any way around it. Even something as simple as a blog post, it takes time, it takes some level of expertise about the subject. If someone wants to see a HANA blog post on something, write a blog post and send it to them -- it'll probably get posted so long as it has some substance. I don't know why people get upset about something like that and instead want to get mad at HANA for not covering something they want to see. You know how the current HANA blog gets written? Some guy writes blog posts about things that fire him up. Why is he the only one? Beats me, no other players want to I guess. The blog has publicly solicited for other players to submit blog posts tons of times...I think one player has ever taken them up on it.

Last edited by chickenhead; 02-06-2011 at 03:31 PM.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

11 Race Card Monday Afternoon!

DRF Entry sheet for a quick look-
my favorite... Arabians...to start the card!
http://www.drf.com/race-entries/HOU/USA/2011-02-07/D
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #28
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombsAway Bob
DRF Entry sheet for a quick look-
my favorite... Arabians...to start the card!
http://www.drf.com/race-entries/HOU/USA/2011-02-07/D
Way to go Bob! Are we playing any particular P3 pool or just the P3 pools the entire card?
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #29
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
Way to go Bob!
Are we playing any particular P3 pool or just the P3 pools the entire card?
where this is a month-long Pick-3 pool party during afternoons,
it's anywhere folks want to jump in & play a Pick-3 or three.
There are decent size fields in 8 of the races,
so the potential for OK payouts may exist.
With TwinSpires offering 0% Takeout on Pick-3 bets made thru
their ADW on Monday Sam Houston Pick-3 Races,why not Play?!?
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #30
andymays
Veteran

I called Sam Houston and they told me they didn't have a pool.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply