Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > 2013 PaceAdvantage Challenge Series, sponsored by RDSS > ASD Ultimate Parlay Challenge (May 17 - July 1, 2013)

Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #31
LAP_520

Parlay (gambling)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A parlay or accumulator is a single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together.

Earlier in this contest, I used the words "Bank It" when in fact I did not have the minimum parlay wages won...... therefore denied.

This is something that needs to be addressed in this contest.

For the FINAL DAY of wagering........
Maybe have the rule read " a minimum of the original parlay wages must be won (IE - 3 ) with a hold over to continue possibly wagering ~ then if that condition is met, the money in play would be added to bankroll." Then the Parlay contest would be dealt with though out the contest.

NO disrespect intended to any players....... just my thoughts.

Last edited by LAP_520; 06-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.
LAP_520 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

My point on banking amounts without three wins is you are going to turn this very long contest into a one day crapshoot where somebody only needs to get lucky on one race.

The last day, everybody is just betting $5 on longshots, and if somebody hits, they could win the whole contest via a loophole.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #33
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
My point on banking amounts without three wins is you are going to turn this very long contest into a one day crapshoot where somebody only needs to get lucky on one race.

The last day, everybody is just betting $5 on longshots, and if somebody hits, they could win the whole contest via a loophole.
I understand your concerns cj, and for me too it does seem inconsistent to allow a bank condition on the last day that is not allowed on most other days.

The explanation in this thread that I made a few posts earlier was my understanding from Jay of how the contest was run for all those years prior to Jay bringing it over to the PaceAdvantage forum.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
I understand your concerns cj, and for me too it does seem inconsistent to allow a bank condition on the last day that is not allowed on most other days.

The explanation in this thread that I made a few posts earlier was my understanding from Jay of how the contest was run for all those years prior to Jay bringing it over to the PaceAdvantage forum.
I understand, curious to see what he thinks. To my mind you should not be allowed to bank without the required 3 wins, and if you lose your first play on the last day, you are done.

What about the $5 deduction at the end question?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #35
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'm also a little confused here. Didn't we pay back the $5 the first time we banked, just as we pay it back every time we bank? It would seem an unfair deduction to those with an in play amount of 5.

Obviously those with an in play amount >5 should have the 5 deducted since they are in effect banking.
Hi cj,

I see where the confusion comes from, and I have edited the original posting with what I hope is more accurate wording.

Maybe this will make it easier to understand:
--- Everyone is given $5 to make their very first selection in the contest.
--- The start of each subsequent new parlay requires $5. It comes either as a deduction from the most recently banked parlay, or as a new subtraction from one's bank.
--- At the end of the contest, my excel file template is set up to score the very last selection AS IF THERE WERE ANOTHER UPCOMING NEW PARLAY. This means that the $5 deductions occur in the manner described by the red text above. Although at the conclusion of the contest there are no new parlays being started, the $5 deductions for each player are allowed to remain in effect as payback for the original $5 given to start the contest.

Perhaps in my original explanation I gave the false impression that folks who loose their very last contest selection (i.e. Show $5.00 in-play), would have an additional $5 deduction, which I believe was the basis of your concern.

Chris
Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #36
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Yep, that explains it, thanks.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #37
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

My first thought is...................the end of the contest is not the time to start discussing the rules as they presently exist. This contest has evolved a fair bit and is probably one of the more strategic contests we run. Players are always asked to contribute their thoughts on improving the various contests. (just not now)

This year the scoring is very low which does allow someone to make a big hit on the last day and catch a money spot. That speaks more to the lack of someone putting the field away. The original thinking was to keep players engaged right until the end.

For those not paying attention Aner is currently holding a power position at the moment. He's sitting on a single big play but he put himself in position to to that because he's got in his ASD plays and his overall minimum plays. If the leaders were a bit further ahead (as they usually have been) no big score would be catching them.

Will we change the rule for next year ... I would say "likely" because of the "Parlay" comment by LAP. That makes sense and would be a good improvement.

Trotter

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter
My first thought is...................the end of the contest is not the time to start discussing the rules as they presently exist.
Trotter
I thought I made it abundantly clear this was for future contests, not this one. But you can't discuss rules and situations you don't foresee until they actually happen. I just find it a little silly somebody can win a parlay contest without actually hitting a parlay.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
maddog42

The july 1st post time for asd is 1.30. I missed an earlier Monday post time
myself and didn't want anyone to screw up and not qualify.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #40
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I just find it a little silly somebody can win a parlay contest without actually hitting a parlay.
Silly? Try crazy. I am new to this contest, and I really shouldn't be too critical,
since I have hit fewer parlays (one) and have a lower "hit" percentage than anyone in the top 10. Cj does have a very good point.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #41
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

I am starting to sound like CJ's yes man. When you're right, you're right.

Let it also be known that it would be unfair to Aner and others (and myself)
to change the rules "in midstream". Cj also clearly stated that the rules should be changed after the contest is over.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #42
Track Collector

Scoring Update

Hello Everyone,

Please be advised that due to a scoring error on my part, Jay Trotter's current position on the 06/29 Standings Sheet is grossly incorrect.

His in-play amount starting Sunday's play is $244.00, which makes him a significant contender to WIN the contest, or at least finish in the top 3.

I have posted a comment in the results thread, but have placed it here also to improve the chances it is seen.

Chris
Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #43
Track Collector

FINAL DAY Comments

Hello everyone,

The final contest day has arrived! A number of players still have reasonable shots at an upper level prize.

Please be advised that a few players still need some races to make the 20-required selections as AsD, and thus be eligible for all prizes and awards.

Assiniboia Downs has a post time of 1:30 p.m. local time for their 1st race on Monday.

Good luck and skill to ALL!

Chris
Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #44
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Doesn't end until the last TB race of the night, correct?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #45
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Doesn't end until the last TB race of the night, correct?
Correct.

The contest DOES NOT end immediately after the AsD races, but continues thru the entire day.