Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
bigmack

Nobel Laureate Quits Over Global Warming

Nobel Prize-winning physicist Ivar Giaever resigned as a Fellow from the American Physical Society Tuesday, condemning the group's official stand on global warming.

"The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring," the APS stated. "If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth's physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now."

Giaever, an 82-year-old Norwegian, sent an e-mail to APS official Kate Kirby announcing his abrupt resignation. He said he "cannot live with the statement" on global warming, and said that global temperature had been "amazingly stable."

In his resignation note, Giaever wrote: "In the APS, it is ok to discuss whether the mass of the proton changes over time and how a multi-universe behaves, but the evidence of global warming is incontrovertible?"

"The claim (how can you measure the average temperature of the whole earth for a whole year?) is that the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8 degree Kelvin in about 150 years, which (if true) means to me is that the temperature has been amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely improved in this 'warming' period."
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2141...ysicist-re.htm
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Sugar Ron
Veteran

82, eh

Now that Ivar has some extra time on his hands, I suggest a little trip to the Arctic to observe the stunning retreat of the sea ice...
Sugar Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
hcap

I see your scientist and raise you 98

97–98% of the most published climate researchers think humans are causing global warming.[1] Another study found 97.4% of publishing climatologists and just under 90% of all earth scientists think significant man made global warming is occurring.[2]
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
hcap

BTW, The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was awarded the Nobel Prize.
Hundreds of scientists and thousands researchers contributed from all nations. So when one scientist (or dozens) dissent, it does not invalidate the existing consensus.

Just sayin'
Old 09-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
hcap

""I am Norwegian, should I really worry about a little bit of warming? I am unfortunately becoming an old man. We have heard many similar warnings about the acid rain 30 years ago and the ozone hole 10 years ago or deforestation but the humanity is still around. The ozone hole width has peaked in 1993," he continued"
.........Ivar Giaeve

If the above statement is not a misprint, Ivan is either senile or not aware of real dangers of acid rain, ozone depletion, or deforestation. In any case does not seem qualified to comment on GW
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

But he's got a Nobel in his back pocket, so maybe he is.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
""I am Norwegian, should I really worry about a little bit of warming? I am unfortunately becoming an old man. We have heard many similar warnings about the acid rain 30 years ago and the ozone hole 10 years ago or deforestation but the humanity is still around. The ozone hole width has peaked in 1993," he continued"
.........Ivar Giaeve

If the above statement is not a misprint, Ivan is either senile or not aware of real dangers of acid rain, ozone depletion, or deforestation. In any case does not seem qualified to comment on GW
Meanwhile, back in the real world, Aspen, CO is expecting to see snow soon -- before the summer even ends.

Boxcar
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Stevecsd

Roy Spencer - PHD Climatologist - Read this - he agrees with Ivar Giaever

For an opposition view to those "97%" of scientists who believe in man made global warming read Roy Spencer's work.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/global-warming-101/

And a much more detailed research about clouds and his analysis of existing research:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/research...odel-evidence/

His analysis and conclusions are devastating to the IPCC scientists reports.

He discusses his research on:

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO): Key to the Global Warming Debate?

http://www.drroyspencer.com/global-warming-background-articles/the-pacific-decadal-oscillation/

A couple of things are very interesting from that page. One is that the Arctic temperatures warmed and sea ice disappeared in the 1920's & 1930's and the Northwest Passage opened in 1939 & 1940.

Also, his graph of the PDO shows a very strong cooling trend during the 1950's to the late 1970's. And isn't that when we had many people saying we were going into an ice age!!!
Stevecsd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
bigmack

Quote:
97–98% of the most published climate researchers think humans are causing global warming.[1] Another study found 97.4% of publishing climatologists and just under 90% of all earth scientists think significant man made global warming is occurring.[2]
100% of all those nerds would lose most of their funding if they swayed from the scam. Bread meet butter.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
bigmack

More & more letting honesty come to forefront:

More than 1,000 dissenting scientists (updates previous 700 scientist report) from around the globe have now challenged man-made global warming claims made by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and former Vice President Al Gore. This new 2010 321-page Climate Depot Special Report -- updated from the 2007 groundbreaking U.S. Senate Report of over 400 scientists who voiced skepticism about the so-called global warming “consensus” -- features the skeptical voices of over 1,000 international scientists, including many current and former UN IPCC scientists, who have now turned against the UN IPCC. This updated 2010 report includes a dramatic increase of over 300 additional (and growing) scientists and climate researchers since the last update in March 2009. This report's release coincides with the 2010 UN global warming summit in being held in Cancun.

The more than 300 additional scientists added to this report since March 2009 (21 months ago), represents an average of nearly four skeptical scientists a week speaking out publicly. The well over 1,000 dissenting scientists are almost 20 times the number of UN scientists who authored the media-hyped IPCC 2007 Summary for Policymakers.

...Other UN scientists were more blunt. A South African UN scientist declared the UN IPCC a "worthless carcass" and noted IPCC chair Pachauri is in "disgrace". He also explained that the "fraudulent science continues to be exposed." Alexander, a former member of the UN Scientific and Technical Committee on Natural Disasters harshly critiqued the UN. "'I was subjected to vilification tactics at the time. I persisted. Now, at long last, my persistence has been rewarded...There is no believable evidence to support [the IPCC] claims. I rest my case!"
http://www.climatedepot.com/a/9035/S...-UN-IPCC--Gore

See if little Ron or hcap can get the ages of all 1000 so they can call them senile.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
See if little Ron or hcap can get the ages of all 1000 so they can call them senile.
Stay tuned for an updated Hcap chart.

Boxcar
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
hcap

This nonsense is getting really annoying. Believe what you want. I just thought I would say a few words for the rest of the real world before you gentlemen frothed at the mouth, stuck your hands over your eyes, stood on one foot and babled.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
This nonsense is getting really annoying. Believe what you want. I just thought I would say a few words for the rest of the real world before you gentlemen frothed at the mouth, stuck your hands over your eyes, stood on one foot and babled.
If you think it's annoying now, just wait until even more scientists find their backbone and come forward with what they truly believe. Meanwhile, a large number of gutless, gullible wonders who live only to procure their bread and butter will never change their tune, as they seek to complement their meager fare with some ham and cheese.

Boxcar
Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Mike at A+
Software Developer

The best solution for the global warming debate is for THOSE WHO BELIEVE to impose RESTRICTIONS ON THEMSELVES. Assuming the pro/con groups are split about 50/50, a significant improvement should be seen if 50% of the population started practicing what they're preaching. Ride those bicycles to work, stop eating meat, buy those cute little light bulbs, install solar panels and stop smoking. As for the rest of us, mind your own freakin business.
Mike at A+ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
bigmack

So darn frustrating that hcap knows more than over 1000 scientists in the field.

His frustration stems from more and more layfolk and scientists taking a look at this figuring out it's a bunch of garbage science. They found some warming and tried to pin it on man. Just like every nature program you've ever watched.

The adorable web-footed, red-crested tic lives peacefully with hardly an enemy in the world. Except for one arch enemy. Man! (cue dramatic music, roll footage of spraying farm land)

It's all so predictable. The ironic part is that hcap and his cadre want the science to end. Right away. STOP! They're REAL scientific.