Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Fager Fan
Veteran

Who is Antifa?

I'm guessing 99.9% were like me, never hearing of this group before Charlottesville. Now we're hearing of them all over the place.

Our country allows for peaceful protests, and I wouldn't want to take that away even if the only protest I've ever involved myself in was my vote.

But this would appear to be another group of hired protesters, and I don't see that we should guarantee the rights of those whose motive is being paid, not this issue they are protesting. I see this as paid public chaos, paid public agitation and rioting or worse.

I think if there is any evidence, which should be investigated before such issuance, then no permit should be issued. If they show up without a permit, then they are granted little privilege and treated as the enemy of the public at the first signs of provocation.

Paid protesters is not what was ever envisioned when giving the right to assemble or protest.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I hope Antifa shows up at your house while you're having a swim with your neighbors.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Remember the days when the KKK used to hold lawful marches and people would protest without violence and veterans would talk about how they hate what these people say and stand for, but they'll fight to the death for their right to say it?

Those days are now over. The far left now believes that if speech is hateful or racist or vile, but legal and protected under the first amendment, it's ok to use violence to stop it.

Martin Luther King Jr. (whose monument I visited last week for the first time, and must say, is breathtaking), is rolling over in his grave.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Remember the days when the KKK used to hold lawful marches and people would protest without violence and veterans would talk about how they hate what these people say and stand for, but they'll fight to the death for their right to say it?

Those days are now over. The far left now believes that if speech is hateful or racist or vile, but legal and protected under the first amendment, it's ok to use violence to stop it.

Martin Luther King Jr. (whose monument I visited last week for the first time, and must say, is breathtaking), is rolling over in his grave.
Good grief. My grammar was atrocious in the starting post. I have to blame my "smart phone" here.

I really wish we'd hear more from the MLK family. We hear from various members on a semi-regular basis, and they're all so impressive. I don't ever hear them choosing political sides, or sounding radical, they're always promoting peacefulness and common sense. They were raised well, and took their father's teachings to heart.

But I want to hear more from them. I guess none of them wish to do so, and you can't make any of them do so, but I sure wish one of them would step up as the leader of the black community. If I was Trump, I'd see if I could hire one of them as an advisor and advocate for the black community (and all of us).

What we've got going on now is insanity, and I really do think that we can't just let it go as free speech and right of assembly. Those two don't go hand in hand with being paid to agitate.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

Those days are now over The far left now believes that if speech is hateful or racist or vile, but legal and protected under the first amendment, it's ok to use violence to stop it.

I agree completely.

Why is it so difficult for some to understand the obvious?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Remember the days when the KKK used to hold lawful marches and people would protest without violence and veterans would talk about how they hate what these people say and stand for, but they'll fight to the death for their right to say it? Those days are now over. The far left now believes that if speech is hateful or racist or vile, but legal and protected under the first amendment, it's ok to use violence to stop it.
Sorry, but there's nothing "new" about that response. 30 years ago a Neo-Nazi group organized a march and rally near where I live, and the response was very similar to what we're seeing now.. a huge counter turn-out and very "vocal" opposition. And this was without the internet and social media feeding into into it.

The Nazi rally quickly disintegrated and they were "run out of town". Happy ending.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg incite.jpg (115.8 KB, 13 views)
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Sorry, but there's nothing "new" about that response. 30 years ago a Neo-Nazi group organized a march and rally near where I live, and the response was very similar to what we're seeing now.. a huge counter turn-out and very "vocal" opposition. And this was without the internet and social media feeding into into it.

The Nazi rally quickly disintegrated and they were "run out of town". Happy ending.
Really? The counter protesters wore masks and body armor and attacked people not even remotely connected with that Neo-Nazi group 30 years ago? They used clubs and bike locks and whatever violence they could conjure-up to drive the Nazi rally out of town?

Something tells me not...

Why didn't MLK think of that? Could have saved a lot of problems...much more efficient to just kill all the racists....Nazi-Germany style...

PS. I almost fainted when you told me neo-Nazis existed 30 years ago...I thought they only came about after Trump announced he was running for Prez.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
RunForTheRoses

Antifa supposedly date back to 1920s but are only now having a significant impact. Chomsky of all people recently wrote a column criticizing them.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...406.html%3famp
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
RunForTheRoses

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...-of-antifa/amp
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Good grief. My grammar was atrocious in the starting post. I have to blame my "smart phone" here.

I really wish we'd hear more from the MLK family. We hear from various members on a semi-regular basis, and they're all so impressive. I don't ever hear them choosing political sides, or sounding radical, they're always promoting peacefulness and common sense. They were raised well, and took their father's teachings to heart.

But I want to hear more from them. I guess none of them wish to do so, and you can't make any of them do so, but I sure wish one of them would step up as the leader of the black community. If I was Trump, I'd see if I could hire one of them as an advisor and advocate for the black community (and all of us).

What we've got going on now is insanity, and I really do think that we can't just let it go as free speech and right of assembly. Those two don't go hand in hand with being paid to agitate.
Peace doesn't sell news.

“My father’s approach to the most brutal and unambiguous social injustices during the civil rights struggle was rooted in nonviolence as a morally and tactically correct response,” Mr. King said in an interview with The Washington Times. “In no way do I, nor would my father, condone any ‘ends justify the means’ behavior.”

https://www.youngcons.com/martin-lut...-lives-matter/
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post

This Dan guy always has a story..I knew a guy once upon a time...BAHAAHA
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
Fager Fan
Veteran

Thanks for that, Run.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The major point all of these idiots keep missing is that these antifa people are creating a mountain out of a molehill...BACKED MONETARILY by those so DESPERATE TO GET TRUMP by any and all means necessary...

There will ALWAYS be racists...there will ALWAYS be white supremacists...but their numbers have been FALLING...not RISING...

But here you antifa idiots are...giving this SMALL, IMPOTENT GROUP, MASSIVE EXPOSURE...so that they can once again try and GROW their ranks...

Chomsky has it right in this instance...and he's getting flak from the left and far-left for it...unreal...
Old 08-29-2017, 01:58 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
The major point all of these idiots keep missing is that these antifa people are creating a mountain out of a molehill...BACKED MONETARILY by those so DESPERATE TO GET TRUMP by any and all means necessary...

There will ALWAYS be racists...there will ALWAYS be white supremacists...but their numbers have been FALLING...not RISING...

But here you antifa idiots are...giving this SMALL, IMPOTENT GROUP, MASSIVE EXPOSURE...so that they can once again try and GROW their ranks...

Chomsky has it right in this instance...and he's getting flak from the left and far-left for it...unreal...

Agree 100%, supposedly word has it the KKK and the like are not well organized and do not use the internet well either. That being said the mainstream media is basically providing them with free advertising by covering them and of course when the clowns marching around in bed sheets are confronted in a violent manner viewership and coverage go way up.

I think I have a different view of them they most, I view them with disdain as much as anyone else yet I find them amusing to the point of comedy from the nonsensical crap that comes out of their mouths. Most of them seem like they have one oar in the water and using the wrong end of that to boot.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Really? The counter protesters wore masks and body armor and attacked people not even remotely connected with that Neo-Nazi group 30 years ago? They used clubs and bike locks and whatever violence they could conjure-up to drive the Nazi rally out of town?

Something tells me not...

Why didn't MLK think of that? Could have saved a lot of problems...much more efficient to just kill all the racists....Nazi-Germany style...

PS. I almost fainted when you told me neo-Nazis existed 30 years ago...I thought they only came about after Trump announced he was running for Prez.
Whoa... what's the body count here from Charlottesville?

1 dead and 19 injured among counter-protesters. I'm pretty sure the woman killed wasn't wearing body armor or a mask when she was run over.

You wanna defend the whole "violence on both sides" bs when I'm pretty sure only one side murdered another.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply