Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
sharkie187

Blaming Racing Industry on TVG

https://wittshorseracing.wordpress.c...is-failing-us/

Writer is blaming the industry's faults on TVG. Some may be upset (like myself) when reading this.
sharkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He thinks they overemphasize gambling? He must love how NBC covers racing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Not too many people watch a given horse race for the aesthetics of the race itself.When you have money on a horse, it gets a lot more interesting;even a mental bet on a particular horse will make it more compelling.I agree that TVG could do more on horse/jockey/trainer/owner backstories and IMHO, the announcers spend too much time on structuring Pick 4, 5 and 6 bets in relation to WPS and exacta bets.TVG is not what is wrong with horse racing.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Tvg needs to evolve into something more than just average handicappers force feeding slapped together high risk exotic tickets one after the other. They have been doing the same exact thing for decades. Skip some races, concentrate on lower risk bets to help churn and for god sakes keep a running ROI Total for all analysts, anyone can slap together tickets and call themselves an expert if nobody is tracking performance.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
whodoyoulike
Veteran

I agree, he seems to incorrectly blame TVG for racing's problems. But, I do agree that the video should and could be improved for visual clarity of the races and have previously commented on here e.g., Chrome's recent race in Dubai. I think he incorrectly thinks the track announcers work for TVG and definitely don't want any TVG analyst commenting on a race as it progresses.

But, I do get his remarks questioning and comparing the popularity of golf and auto racing to horse racing. He doesn't understand why and neither do I but I'm not a fan of either of the other two.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 02-27-2016 at 06:05 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Grits

Anyone with writing skill, proof reading skill this poor, and content this far off the mark regarding what would benefit thoroughbred racing? Aside from eliminating TVG, he or she indicates the reason why they're called BLOGS, and why so many who author them are simply hobbyists who go unpaid. The previous piece on "Why California Chrome's Victory is Irrelevant" isn't any better. -- Why is this person even paying attention to thoroughbred racing?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
thaskalos

The man is absolutely right...IMO. That "blocky" green horse-head outline that TVG uses as a logo is terribly outdated...and contributes mightily to the problem that our game has in attracting a younger fan group.

All I can say is that my optimism for our favorite sport's future has been restored, now that I know that people like Mr. Witt are around...to offer such helpful suggestions in order to stimulate more interest in the game.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
olddaddy

No authors name on a blog type site. Dont care.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
sharkie187

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
I agree, he seems to incorrectly blame TVG for racing's problems. But, I do agree that the video should and could be improved for visual clarity of the races and have previously commented on here e.g., Chrome's recent race in Dubai. I think he incorrectly thinks the track announcers work for TVG and definitely don't want any TVG analyst commenting on a race as it progresses.

But, I do get his remarks questioning and comparing the popularity of golf and auto racing to horse racing. He doesn't understand why and neither do I but I'm not a fan of either of the other two.
The problem with the video is that its beyond's TVG/TVG2 control. TVG gets the track feed directly from the track. If the track has low quality camera, then we get low quality feeds. On big races, its usually the network using their own cameras which provides great quality. I see it all the time at the track, Churchill Downs live track feed is poor quality for the Kentucky Derby but the NBC coverage is amazing!
Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
sharkie187

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy
No authors name on a blog type site. Dont care.
Trevor Witt. Def not a horse player
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
Not too many people watch a given horse race for the aesthetics of the race itself.When you have money on a horse, it gets a lot more interesting;even a mental bet on a particular horse will make it more compelling.I agree that TVG could do more on horse/jockey/trainer/owner backstories and IMHO, the announcers spend too much time on structuring Pick 4, 5 and 6 bets in relation to WPS and exacta bets.TVG is not what is wrong with horse racing.
Interesting, my wife and I were watching TVG Meydan coverage on Thursday (both home incapacitated by the flu), and she can't understand what the people who go to races in Dubai get out of it since they can't bet? I guess that's a good point, though I did tell her that I used to go to the track all the time and not wager (but that was only because racing officials were prohibited from gambling).
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
thespaah

The writer has a serious bug up his rear here.
I dismiss the writer's comments as they appear like those of a child who was denied cookies and milk.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #13
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
What this writer is missing is that FACT that where wagering on sports is legal, most of the interest in sporting competition is generated by the ability place a wager or play a fantasy league game..
Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 PM   #14
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Tvg needs to evolve into something more than just average handicappers force feeding slapped together high risk exotic tickets one after the other. They have been doing the same exact thing for decades. Skip some races, concentrate on lower risk bets to help churn and for god sakes keep a running ROI Total for all analysts, anyone can slap together tickets and call themselves an expert if nobody is tracking performance.
Yes. Because TVG is owned by an online wagering company, the on camera talent is going to hawk the on line wagering facility TVG provides.
And what better way to accomplish that than to encourage wagers on more expensive horizontal wagers.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
thespaah

Bloggers get paid by generating clicks. Clicks generate advertising on the blogs.
TO a blogger, clicks are like ratings for TV and radio. The larger the audience, the more likely an ad agency is going to purse the broadcaster to buy ad time.
or the more likely the ad sales person representing the TV or radio station is going to entice an advertiser to buy spots.
Blogs pretty much work the same way. Except blogs' ad-worthiness is measured in the number of clicks on the blog..
But you are most likely correct in that many bloggers do not generate any type of compensation for their opinions.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: