Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.54 average.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #8206
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
Here is a newsflash...

They are doing that through the CIP protocols held by the institution running the wire not the wire company itself. Banks self-report the transfers. This would be different because the CIP requirements would fall onto the Moneygram, Western Union, etc...

It won't work...

But hey 10 years in financial services experience I have no idea what I'm talking about.
you just tweak the system to make it work. not hard to do at all. If you've been in the business you understand how regulated you are. Just add more regulations to your already over regulated business.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #8207
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
A few other polls that tell quite a different story.
USA Today: Clinton 42% Trump 35%
Fox: Clinton 41% Trump 39%
Reuters: Clinton 40% Trump 38%
Economist: Clinton 42% Trump 37%
PPP: Clinton 46% Trump 39%
Monmouth: Clinton 46% Trump 39%
Gravis: Clinton 42% Trump 41%
Quinnipiac: Clinton 45% Trump 38%
NBC News: Clinton 43% Trump 38%

You probably don't realize this but we don't elect the President on the basis of the national popular vote. We have this thing called the Electoral College. Last time I checked Hillary was ahead there something like 319-144.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #8208
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
You probably don't realize this but we don't elect the President on the basis of the national popular vote. We have this thing called the Electoral College.
Wow, when did they start that? Is that new just for this election? That sounds like the election is rigged.

I wish I knew everything and had no compunctions about treating everyone else like an idiot. Maybe I should start drinking Kool Aid like all the cool guys do.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #8209
classhandicapper

If Trump loses and Clinton continues on the same path we are on now, we are likely to have an economic crisis. But even if I am wrong on that, imo, the anti establishment voters on both sides (Trump and Sanders) are going to get so pissed off, that violence, significant rioting, and home grown terrorism against government are all a high probability.

People that are struggling to make ends meet are not going to sit idly by if they are paying taxes and illegals are getting safety net benefits, Wall St keeps getting bailed out and giving itself bonuses, companies keep shipping jobs over seas, and government starts reneging on their promises. They are simply not going to take this BS anymore no matter how much the media spins, lies, and promotes these idiotic domestic and globalist policies. If Trump wasn't an utter moron in communicating why these things have to change, he'd have 65% of the vote.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #8210
delayjf

Quote:
If Trump loses and Clinton continues on the same path we are on now, we are likely to have an economic crisis
In your opinion what will precipitate the economic crisis? And, what if anything can be done to avert the same economic crisis?

Last edited by delayjf; 09-01-2016 at 03:32 PM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #8211
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
If Trump loses and Clinton continues on the same path we are on now, we are likely to have an economic crisis. But even if I am wrong on that, imo, the anti establishment voters on both sides (Trump and Sanders) are going to get so pissed off, that violence, significant rioting, and home grown terrorism against government are all a high probability.

People that are struggling to make ends meet are not going to sit idly by if they are paying taxes and illegals are getting safety net benefits, Wall St keeps getting bailed out and giving itself bonuses, companies keep shipping jobs over seas, and government starts reneging on their promises. They are simply not going to take this BS anymore no matter how much the media spins, lies, and promotes these idiotic domestic and globalist policies. If Trump wasn't an utter moron in communicating why these things have to change, he'd have 65% of the vote.
I think you underestimate the effects of learned helplessness. As in "No one is really going to do anything because no one is really going to do anything, and even if they did, it wouldn't make any difference anyway."

A lot of the same comments were made (almost verbatim) after the "Savings and Loan Crisis" (that everyone seemed to forget rather quickly--without doing too much).
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #8212
chadk66

Quote:

this is actually what we need. A financial crisis like the 30's. Only way to turn things back the right direction. Us smart/prepared ones will survive just fine. And we will shed the excess weight.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #8213
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Wow, when did they start that? Is that new just for this election? That sounds like the election is rigged.

I wish I knew everything and had no compunctions about treating everyone else like an idiot. Maybe I should start drinking Kool Aid like all the cool guys do.
JR posted one poll as if it were gospel, when there were at least seven polls out there telling a very different story. Who is treating who like an idiot?

JR knows that a national poll is pretty much meaningless in the Presidential election. JR knows about the Electoral College, but he ignores it so he can make points in a debate. Who is treating who like an idiot?

If you want me to stop thinking of conservatives-is there still such a thing as a Tea Party?-as idiots, tell them to stop posting the nonsense they have been posting in the "Donald Trump" thread for the past twelve hours.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #8214
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
In your opinion what will precipitate the economic crisis? And. what if anything can be done to avert the same economic crisis?
This country has been on a perilous path for a long time.

Free markets are relatively efficient, but there are periods when excesses can grow and lead to a bust that turns into a short term recession. The recession is the market's way of removing the excesses and forming a healthy base from which to start growing again. Recessions like that are painful, but they will normally be short and mild.

The "leftist" economists that dominate our country believe they can short circuit these recessions by lowering taxes (republicans) or increasing spending (democrats) and by lowering interest rates to below their free market level and stimulating demand.

It works, but it works much like giving a drug addict a fix to relieve withdrawal symptoms. It makes him feel better in the short term, but his health may continue to deteriorate.

If you prop up economic excesses and stimulate further, you risk never removing them. Instead, they just get bigger. Then it takes bigger and bigger doses of stimulation to fight the free market's attempts to get healthy.

This country is so wealthy, we could get away with this kind of nonsense for a long time as long as it was done with some prudence. But we started jumping the shark around the time Greenspan took over the Fed. We started abusing easy money and credit. It continued and got worse under Bernanke and now under Yellen we are full blown addicts in the emergency room.

The excesses are now so large now we had to run massive deficits, print 4 trillion dollars, and set interest rates close to zero to just barely keep the economy alive. We are no longer just mild heroin addicts. We are on meth, crack, heroin, and angel dust.

Free market forces are going to emerge again to try to correct this mess. There may be a trigger, the fed may blunder, or there could be an external shock. Maybe it will die a slow a death. But to grow we will need ever greater doses of stimulation. That could mean 2 trillion dollar deficits, printing another 5-10 trillion, interest rates set at negative 2 percent etc...

At a certain point you just can't go any further or the currency will collapse, the smartest people will see the handwriting on the wall and panic, etc..

The entire basis of our free market capitalism is being undermined by people that think they are smarter than markets and can overpower them with debt and the printing press. Around the world they are buying government bonds, corporate bonds, stocks etc.. They are now manipulating virtually every market just to keep it all alive.

It will eventually fail. It's just taking longer here because we are so wealthy, powerful, and have the reserve currency. But it will fail and end badly because they are destroying the market system. That's the goose that laid the golden eggs to begin with.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #8215
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
this is actually what we need. A financial crisis like the 30's. Only way to turn things back the right direction. Us smart/prepared ones will survive just fine. And we will shed the excess weight.
So, its okay with you if millions of people lose their jobs, their homes. It's okay with you if children starve and families are broken apart. As long as you keep yours. What a horrible, awful person you are. Hey, you might even profit from the disaster. Disgusting.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #8216
classhandicapper

Quote:
So, its okay with you if millions of people lose their jobs, their homes. It's okay with you if children starve and families are broken apart. As long as you keep yours. What a horrible, awful person you are. Hey, you might even profit from the disaster. Disgusting.
I think you are misunderstanding him.

People like me are powerless to do anything about policies we believe will end very badly. So at a certain point you throw up your hands and try to figure out what you can do to protect yourself, the fruits of your labor, your family etc... from hard economic times. It's not that you don't care about other people. If you didn't care you wouldn't bother debating it. It's that you are powerless.

I sort of agree with him. I can't see any way to avoid a very serious contraction or currency crisis. I think it's almost inevitable and the only way to fix it. Really, imo the only debate is about the ingenuity of the people that created this mess to delay the inevitable further.

If you would have asked me 20 years ago would be willing to print money to buy junk bonds and stocks directly to manipulate those markets and currencies I would have said "no". I would have thought that was too crazy for anyone to even contemplate. But here we are. So who knows what extent they will go to. Maybe they'll buy 1/2 the S&P500, Nasdaq, European, and Japanese markets. That will take awhile, but you would think sensible people would figure out that the system that created all this wealth was then dead.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-01-2016 at 04:18 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #8217
chadk66

Quote:
where the hell have you been hiding. that's already been going on. 95 million are out of the work force. 54 million on food stamps. These numbers are rising daily. Record low number for home owners by blacks. So just how far up your ass has your head been for the past five or six years. Or do you have the shades pulled in your little glass house. And if that's what it takes to extinguish this little experiment with progressive liberalism I say bring it on. We are at war with these people.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #8218
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
where the hell have you been hiding. that's already been going on. 95 million are out of the work force. 54 million on food stamps. These numbers are rising daily. Record low number for home owners by blacks. So just how far up your ass has your head been for the past five or six years. Or do you have the shades pulled in your little glass house. And if that's what it takes to extinguish this little experiment with progressive liberalism I say bring it on. We are at war with these people.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #8219
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
well you know sometimes you just have to squeeze the vice a little tighter with some people. don't blame the guy running the vice
Old 09-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #8220
incoming

Quote:
This country has been on a perilous path for a long time.

Free markets are relatively efficient, but there are periods when excesses can grow and lead to a bust that turns into a short term recession. The recession is the market's way of removing the excesses and forming a healthy base from which to start growing again. Recessions like that are painful, but they will normally be short and mild.

The "leftist" economists that dominate our country believe they can short circuit these recessions by lowering taxes (republicans) or increasing spending (democrats) and by lowering interest rates to below their free market level and stimulating demand.

It works, but it works much like giving a drug addict a fix to relieve withdrawal symptoms. It makes him feel better in the short term, but his health may continue to deteriorate.

If you prop up economic excesses and stimulate further, you risk never removing them. Instead, they just get bigger. Then it takes bigger and bigger doses of stimulation to fight the free market's attempts to get healthy.

This country is so wealthy, we could get away with this kind of nonsense for a long time as long as it was done with some prudence. But we started jumping the shark around the time Greenspan took over the Fed. We started abusing easy money and credit. It continued and got worse under Bernanke and now under Yellen we are full blown addicts in the emergency room.

The excesses are now so large now we had to run massive deficits, print 4 trillion dollars, and set interest rates close to zero to just barely keep the economy alive. We are no longer just mild heroin addicts. We are on meth, crack, heroin, and angel dust.

Free market forces are going to emerge again to try to correct this mess. There may be a trigger, the fed may blunder, or there could be an external shock. Maybe it will die a slow a death. But to grow we will need ever greater doses of stimulation. That could mean 2 trillion dollar deficits, printing another 5-10 trillion, interest rates set at negative 2 percent etc...

At a certain point you just can't go any further or the currency will collapse, the smartest people will see the handwriting on the wall and panic, etc..

The entire basis of our free market capitalism is being undermined by people that think they are smarter than markets and can overpower them with debt and the printing press. Around the world they are buying government bonds, corporate bonds, stocks etc.. They are now manipulating virtually every market just to keep it all alive.

It will eventually fail. It's just taking longer here because we are so wealthy, powerful, and have the reserve currency. But it will fail and end badly because they are destroying the market system. That's the goose that laid the golden eggs to begin with.
WELL DONE!!! Even I could understand your reasoning. I think another very simple way to explain it too a horse player. Would be to call it a very progressive betting system for someone with very deep pockets....in other words....doomed to fail.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply