Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
andtheyreoff

Most underrated races of all time

In the spirit of the most underrated horses thread, what do you think are the most underrated races ever run?

My first nomination is really the inspiration for this thread: the 1998 Iselin (it used to be on youtube, not sure what happened to it). Skip Away, carrying 131 lbs, runs an incredibly gutsy race to hold off Stormin Fever, who was carrying just 113 lbs (that's an 18 pound weight difference right there). He gives no fewer than 17 lbs to every other horse in the field.

My other choice is the 2009 Woodward (which, fortunately, is on youtube). For a 3yo filly at that class level, it's extroadinary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysO_Fhc8Fpw

Last edited by andtheyreoff; 08-20-2012 at 05:27 PM.
andtheyreoff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
dilanesp

1979 Travers.

Yes, General Assembly freaked in the mud, but no horse has ever freaked like that. He set a still standing track record in one of the country's most important races. And the track was actually slow that day, giving him a huge speed figure.

Second nomination: 1977 Swaps Stakes. When a big name horse loses, there are always excuses, and surely Seattle Slew didn't fire that day, but JO Tobin's performance and Willie Shoemaker's ride get basically ignored. Take a look at the fractions in that race and tell me if Tobin's 1:58 3/5 wasn't an amazing performance. And Shoemaker's strategy, to get out in front of Slew, was brilliant.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Steve R

1985 Jersey Derby.

Wayne Lukas sent Huddle Up to hook front-running Spend a Buck early, pushing the Derby winner through impossible fractions of :22.4, :45.2 and 1:09 flat in the mile and a quarter event. With Huddle Up dispatched and the mile clocked in 1:35 flat, Spend a Buck was challenged into the stretch by the great closer Creme Fraiche who momentarily got a head in front with a quarter mile to go. Spend a Buck fought back and regained the lead to win by a neck with the fast finishing El Basco a head behind Creme Fraiche in third. A couple of weeks later Creme Fraiche won the Belmont Stakes in 2:27 flat, the 4th fastest ever Belmont to that time. Creme Fraiche won 7 G1 stakes from a mile to a mile and a half on dirt and earned over $4 million which is over $8 million today adjusted for inflation. That Spend a Buck could be forced to go 1:09 flat early on the lead, lose that lead at the head of the stretch to one of the great classic distance closers and still fight back to prevail is amazing IMO.

You can see the race at http://www.chef-de-race.com/video/hi...ace_videos.htm.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
johnhannibalsmith

[YT="Nippintuck"]JJXIupRSgHQ[/YT]

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
EJXD2

2004 Woodward

Two eventual Horses of the Year
EJXD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
In the spirit of the most underrated horses thread, what do you think are the most underrated races ever run?

My first nomination is really the inspiration for this thread: the 1998 Iselin (it used to be on youtube, not sure what happened to it). Skip Away, carrying 131 lbs, runs an incredibly gutsy race to hold off Stormin Fever, who was carrying just 113 lbs (that's an 18 pound weight difference right there). He gives no fewer than 17 lbs to every other horse in the field.

My other choice is the 2009 Woodward (which, fortunately, is on youtube). For a 3yo filly at that class level, it's extroadinary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysO_Fhc8Fpw
what a gutsy performance, that race certainly hits the spot.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
classhandicapper

Seattle Slew's Derby. It wasn't very fast and he didn't come home quickly, but very few 3YOs I have ever seen would have won with that trip at 10F, let alone with something left in the tank.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
elysiantraveller

[YT="This One!"]zZFr6N2lNY4[/YT]

The quintessential race for "the best horse doesn't always win" argument.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
[YT="Nippintuck"]JJXIupRSgHQ[/YT]
Incredible effort, 43 and change and they both kept going...
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
[YT="This One!"]zZFr6N2lNY4[/YT]

The quintessential race for "the best horse doesn't always win" argument.
Not sure this race can be even remotely considered "most underrated" of all time though. Everyone talks about it when talking about Seattle Slew. It was the single greatest losing effort of all time...IMO.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Milkshaker

1990 Met Mile

I will always recall the 1990 Met Mile (four champions: Housebuster, Easy Goer, and horses of the year Criminal Type and Black Tie Affair) as a damn good race.

Criminal Type won it.

Can anyone point me to the video?
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker
I will always recall the 1990 Met Mile (four champions: Housebuster, Easy Goer, and horses of the year Criminal Type and Black Tie Affair) as a damn good race.

Criminal Type won it.

I'll always remember it as well, but for a slightly different reason. I LOVED Criminal Type that day, but ran out of money before the feature rolled around at Belmont, and in those days, they didn't have ATMs at the track...lol...Being the masochist I am, in addition to loving the game, I stuck around to watch the race of course...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
KirisClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker

Criminal Type won it.

I put it up for you.. quality isn't great, but it's better than nothing..

[YT="1990 Met Mile"]5q-X2qkI4Zg[/YT]
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Not sure this race can be even remotely considered "most underrated" of all time though. Everyone talks about it when talking about Seattle Slew. It was the single greatest losing effort of all time...IMO.
I would agree it isn't underrated but I would also consider it one of the best ever races.

Afleet Alex's Preakness hasn't been thrown out yet.

[YT="Afleet Alex Falls Down/Wins"]KfFzODoD7YY[/YT]

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 08-21-2012 at 10:55 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
Milkshaker

Hey KC, thanks for posting that video...Seeing the version of it from the old Harvey Pack replay show made it even better.

I had forgotten how confidently ridden Housebuster was on the lead...And that BlackTie Affair was an unknown 99-1 shot.

Actual (big) crowd noise too!
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply