Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #16
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Customers take the motorized shopping carts from our stores, and drive them all the way to their homes, sometimes miles away...where they keep them for a week, and then drive them back to the store so they can do their shopping again...and drive them back to their homes again. And when I confront the customers about this...they call me "insensitive" to their disability status. I've had to hire employees to try and put a stop to this, but I am succeeding only moderately. It takes 4 employees and a cargo van to return a motorized shopping cart back to its rightful place...assuming, of course, that you can find it.
I went to a store one time (I think it was Kmart or Gold Circle) in a not so great neighborhood and there were posts set close enough together outside the door so that shopping carts couldn't fit through them. The road the store was on was littered with shopping carts from other stores.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #17
boxcar

Quote:
Customers take the motorized shopping carts from our stores, and drive them all the way to their homes, sometimes miles away...where they keep them for a week, and then drive them back to the store so they can do their shopping again...and drive them back to their homes again. And when I confront the customers about this...they call me "insensitive" to their disability status. I've had to hire employees to try and put a stop to this, but I am succeeding only moderately. It takes 4 employees and a cargo van to return a motorized shopping cart back to its rightful place...assuming, of course, that you can find it.
You should do what the big supermarket chains (and Wally World!) do to secure their carts. All their shopping carts are on an electronic tether. Customers can only go so far with them, and when they try to go outside the programmed perimeter, the cart stops short in its tracks. It won't budge an inch.

I have to think those motorized shopping carts are expensive, so it would seem that using that technology would be worth your while.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #18
Inner Dirt

Quote:

You got me! I would have never thought people would go that far.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #19
classhandicapper

Quote:
It sound like playing horses may be the easier business.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #20
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
My favorite is the shrinking tuna can. I have a small machine shop and make a lot of small parts. I often use tuna cans to put them in during processes. Been using tuna cans for decades. The small can used to be 7oz, they have dropped by the 1/2 oz, all the way to 5oz over 20 years or so. When is 4 1/2 oz coming?
I've been noticing the shrinking pound of coffee for at least 20 years. I think 12 oz is the current exchange rate for the pound.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #21
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I've been noticing the shrinking pound of coffee for at least 20 years. I think 12 oz is the current exchange rate for the pound.
Same with the half-gallon container of ice cream. Around here, Blue Bell is the only brand that hasn't shrunk.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #22
fast4522

Quote:
A circuit board to cut power to the cart at the far end of the parking lot of your store could be put under the cart. This is a very simple fix that can be had by any kid in school learning electronics in your state near your store. Trade schools are always looking to have motivated students interface with the community and business. Basically a relay flips to off when a sensor goes negative. You would have to post signage that carts will not function past the parking area. Just a idea you can chew on, those who are doing this to you will have to go back to calling a cab or stop using your store.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #23
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I wonder if anyone ever picked up the entire basket to devour its contents before checking out?
I have seen a "Mother" send her Child over to clean the basket out when leaving.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #24
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
I have seen a "Mother" send her Child over to clean the basket out when leaving.
What a great role model that mommy was.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #25
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
What a great role model that mommy was.
Yes. And where I currently live (not originally from)...when that kid turns 18...before the Birthday Celebration, all of the family will get together and take the kid to the Welfare Office to get signed up. That aspect is 5 or 6 generations deep here.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #26
Stevecsd2

Quote:

The last can of coffee I bought was 11.3 ounces.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #27
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
I still buy pound cans of rich, Columbian coffee -- to be exact in 3 lb. tins at Costco. And the price is great: $10.00 for their Kirkland label! Can't beat the price.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #28
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
Do women know about shrinkage?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #29
thaskalos

Quote:
Do women know about shrinkage?
Second-hand...
Old 10-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #30
Longshot6977

I like my orange juice on weekend mornings. But no 64oz '1/2 gallon' cartons/bottles are to be found anymore. Now they're 59oz and some are even 52oz.
Has anyone noticed that cereal boxes are getting skinnier?
How about 17oz water bottles or even soda bottles? They are 16.9oz and we're all used to it after all these years. But even 0.1 oz smaller bottles multiplied by millions of bottles is a huge savings to the manufacturer.
And those darn laundry detergent bottles are getting smaller too. Many are just 40oz now.
Look at some Doritos bags. Some went from 9.75oz to 9.25oz
You also might notice that the 'bubble' in the bottom of some plastic containers like peanut butter are getting larger so less product fits inside.
My favorite used to be the 2-pack of Reeses peanut butter cups. They went from 1.6oz down to 1.5oz.
Many candy bars have slightly decreased in size over the years.
And there are less sheets in a roll of toilet paper and paper towels (and some are physically smaller too) than in years past.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply