Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #271
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Its amazing to me how much 'stuff' Andy has to deal with, if you read his twitter feed or message boards, there's always someone on there or here trying to 'start in' with him over a losing pick or something like that. He shouldnt have to deal with that, right?

I forgot to add the last ( and I mean LAST ) Tweet he made to me....it remarked that my picks all weekend had sucked.

Let's see, while I certainly gave out some losers, I did give Oxbow as the longshot alternative to Orb ( and NO other opinions in the Preakness ), I said a 5:2 winner at Belmont looked like a lock to me, I said the Gallorette was between Chad Brown's two entrants ( one won at over $15 ), and while I was way against the Maryland Sprint winner at 2:1, I was similarly against Imagining at 2:1 who finished next to last in the Dixie. My strongest play the whole weekend was Nechez Dawn who lost by a neck at 7.80:1...to a horse that was among two I suggested to also use in the race.

So, according to this person, this is a weekend of bad opinions. No wonder he thinks I'm clueless. Unless I sweep every card, according to him, I'm a moron.

You can't please them all.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #272
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
Just curious in the Jitney race yesterday, what you did when Maggie said the horse was washed out, and that she didn't care for Sus Annamaries Gold?

In this case she was spot on, and I think for many of us, she is becoming a crutch.
I didn't bet the race, but also said I didn't particularly like Sus Annamaries Gold either.

I am very glad people have their microscope trained on me and not Maggie. She deserves better.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #273
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

[QUOTE=the little guy]It's funny you should say this ( and I appreciate it ), because the wholly disingenuous person you responded to has been recently harassing me on Twitter. For instance, in a race last week where I Tweeted that I felt it was a two horse race, against an odds-on favorite, and my selections ran 1-2 ( in the opposite order I had picked them ) for a $100 exacta, he Tweeted to me that all I did was give out a loser as my "pick" finished 2nd.
QUOTE]

Can't you just block harassing posters from your Twitter page? I have no idea, just assumed you could?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #274
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
Just curious in the Jitney race yesterday, what you did when Maggie said the horse was washed out, and that she didn't care for Sus Annamaries Gold?

In this case she was spot on, and I think for many of us, she is becoming a crutch.
that is worthwhile information to have. that is one of the ways to eliminate a 7 out in racing when you are sitting at home. the other great way to save a bet is by watching the horses at the gate. if they break through the gate it is almost an automatic throw-out. behind the gate problems are not automatic's though.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #275
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Nice start to the day today.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #276
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I forgot to add the last ( and I mean LAST ) Tweet he made to me....it remarked that my picks all weekend had sucked.

Let's see, while I certainly gave out some losers, I did give Oxbow as the longshot alternative to Orb ( and NO other opinions in the Preakness ), I said a 5:2 winner at Belmont looked like a lock to me, I said the Gallorette was between Chad Brown's two entrants ( one won at over $15 ), and while I was way against the Maryland Sprint winner at 2:1, I was similarly against Imagining at 2:1 who finished next to last in the Dixie. My strongest play the whole weekend was Nechez Dawn who lost by a neck at 7.80:1...to a horse that was among two I suggested to also use in the race.

So, according to this person, this is a weekend of bad opinions. No wonder he thinks I'm clueless. Unless I sweep every card, according to him, I'm a moron.

Some have a selective memory, they won't give out credit when you make a good pick or good call, but when you're wrong, they're right on your rear end to point it out. Its kind of like the twitter bashers are jealous and want to 'show the world' that they know more than you do by pointing out gleefully when you're wrong. Keep up the great work, i appreciate the effort.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #277
mountainman

Quote:
my job really isn't to pick winners, it's to stimulate interest and discussion in our races.

Absolutely. Rock on. Anytime one is presented on tv as a purported expert, the haters aren't far behind. And no matter how desensitized we get, criticism of an invalid or personal nature always stings. I used to fret, lose sleep, and fantacize about punching some lights out over it. Now i can (sort of) shrug it off.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #278
098poi

Andy if I may make a suggestion, you don't need to defend yourself here or elsewhere on the internet. Just look at what you do for a living. You've been doing it for a long time, just keep doing what you are doing. I know it's easy for me to say but you are smart enough to know that anyone with any kind of "fame" or internet presence is open to unwarranted attacks from any direction. The one thing the internet has proved it is that everyone has an opinion on everything!

On a more positive note I listen to the replays at work of At the Races with Steve Byk and I love the way you knd of play with him. He does an A+ job in my book being upbeat, informative and very respectful with his guests for 3 hours! He will give you a high energy intro, "Let's welcome Andy Serling!!" And you respond very low key "Hi" or something like that. It sounds like you are playing a game trying to make his hosting job a little more difficult. (in a fun way) It always cracks me up. It sounds like you guys are friends so no harm.

Give a shout to Tom Durkin who in the 2nd race today was able to say, "Southside Sis is sixth" during the early part of the race. Hard enough to say as a tongue twister let alone during a race.

Last edited by 098poi; 05-25-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #279
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
Andy if I may make a suggestion, you don't need to defend yourself here or elsewhere on the internet. Just look at what you do for a living. You've been doing it for a long time, just keep doing what you are doing. I know it's easy for me to say but you are smart enough to know that anyone with any kind of "fame" or internet presence is open to unwarranted attacks from any direction. The one thing the internet has proved it is that everyone has an opinion on everything!

On a more positive note I listen to the replays at work of At the Races with Steve Byk and I love the way you knd of play with him. He does an A+ job in my book being upbeat, informative and very respectful with his guests for 3 hours! He will give you a high energy intro, "Let's welcome Andy Serling!!" And you respond very low key "Hi" or something like that. It sounds like you are playing a game trying to make his hosting job a little more difficult. (in a fun way) It always cracks me up. It sounds like you guys are friends so no harm.

Give a shout to Tom Durkin who in the 2nd race today was able to say, "Southside Sis is sixth" Hard enough to say as a tongue twister let alone during a race.

Good writeup 98,

You're right, but its really hard to just 'ignore' the wiseasses who respond on Twitter and message boards, i know personally if i was in Andy or Mark's shoes as an inhouse commentator, i'd really want to 'show up' those idiots, but like you said, its probably a good idea to just ignore the haters and just stick to the nuts and bolts of horse racing discussion.

No matter how good you are or how many winners you pick, someone will come on there when you get beat and celebrate you being wrong.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #280
SandyW

Quote:

I agree you can't please them all, but Andy you will never have to worry about a job as long as TVG is on the air.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #281
atlasaxis

Andy pops a 14-1 in the 2nd @ the Spaaaaaa after really talking him up in the PRE RACE analysis!

Last edited by atlasaxis; 07-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #282
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlasaxis
Andy pops a 14-1 in the 2nd @ the Spaaaaaa after really talking him up in the PRE RACE analysis!
I had the winner too, hit the tri and the super....where's my love?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #283
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Where's your TV show? Congrats.....
Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #284
castaway01

Quote:
You can reply to your own post in three years and praise yourself. Be patient and your time will come.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #285
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
Where's your TV show? Congrats.....
I broadcast daily from Living Room Downs, havent you been watching?
Closed Thread