Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
so.cal.fan

Latest Hollywood Park rumor

Now the rumor is that the owner of Bay Meadows is buying HP and it will remain a racetrack for another 3 years.........seems the CHRB won't let anyone buy the property without the contract that they keep racing for 3 years....this doesn't sound right to me, but what do I know?
I'm disappointed.....I was hoping they would close the place....but according to one trainer I know....he says "it will be here forever".......I thought he was kidding last week, but maybe not.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
NoDayJob

Sounds like the developers are having a cash problem. Remember, they've been closing BM for years and nothing has happened yet.

NDJ
NoDayJob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
so.cal.fan

I can't help but wonder if SLOTS are still on the table, or under the table???
Old 06-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
kenwoodallpromos

BM

When the fair is running at BM the county makes a lot of money; I assume when the regular meet is running, the city makes out.
If that is true, that makes a lot more politicians happy.
And if it was turned into housing the state would lose money.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
Now the rumor is that the owner of Bay Meadows is buying HP and it will remain a racetrack for another 3 years.........seems the CHRB won't let anyone buy the property without the contract that they keep racing for 3 years....this doesn't sound right to me, but what do I know?
I'm disappointed.....I was hoping they would close the place....but according to one trainer I know....he says "it will be here forever".......I thought he was kidding last week, but maybe not.
It is my understanding that there will be racing at Hollywood at least through 2007 regardless of what happens to the property.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2005, 01:24 AM   #6
fishorsechess

what is the source of that rumor?

I spoke to customer service there at Hol Park and they
stated only three quarters left and off she goes! But
their source was the newspapers.
fishorsechess is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2005, 03:24 AM   #7
Macdiarmadillo
"I seek the Grail!" M.P.

"Bay Meadows" is the outfit that owns the land there. That racetrack WILL be gone in a couple of years, the time it takes to get all the legal stuff approved. That process was just started up again a while ago, held up by the vote on slots for tracks last(?) year. This fits the predicted timeline given by various BM office staff several years ago when the first development phase began (and has been completed for a couple of years now). You know racing would have lasted forever there if they got slots voted in! It's the same plan for HollyPark, to continue racing while the proposals and legal stuff goes through the mill; they even proposed that CD keep running it in the interim.

BM is a new face that outbid the previous high bidders and the city Inglewood is ticked off that nobody told them so they could tell BM what the city wanted. Minor stuff; they're all on the same page and want HollyPark gone. RIP Hollywood Park.
Macdiarmadillo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #8
so.cal.fan

The city of Inglewood wants the track GONE.....they don't make enough revenue from it.
Attendance at HP goes down EVERY WEEK.....EVERY WEEK.
We heard that the big bidders, UPS and the rest backed out because they were going to have to have racing there for three years.....and they weren't up for spending millions on the property only to not be able to develop it when they wanted to.
I just don't understand how the CHRB could have the power to dictate to a property owner that they have to hold racing there?????
We first heard the BM rumor on the Wilman/Hoover radio show last weekend.
There was some mention on the Del Mar Fan Forum as well, but no one seems to know anything official. That is the only thing we do know....nothing is yet to be official.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
so.cal.fan

Just read this on PA's home page news

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/art...245&aID2=88995
Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
TurfRuler

If Magna Corporation can buy every race track in sight, why can't the owners of Bay Meadows forsee the longterm future for Hollywood Park as a racing venue. Yippikiyae!!! And for all the naysayers who want to see Hollywood Park gone....imagine what I'm thinking to add to this post.
TurfRuler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
Just curious, So Cal Fan, since you are a fan, why would you want Hollywood Park closed?
Dancer's Image is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2005, 01:02 AM   #12
plainolebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer's Image
Just curious, So Cal Fan, since you are a fan, why would you want Hollywood Park closed?
I'm curious too. Santa Anita by itself would be a boring proposition. I don't believe the CHRB would ever have approved CDI buying the place if the intent was to shut it down and develop it, so I'm sure they have some say in the deal. Somebody dig up Marge Evert and put her back to work, couldn't be much worse than what CDI has done.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #13
so.cal.fan

plainoldbill???

"Somebody dig up Marge Evert and put her back to work"

Is she dead?????
Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #14
bdhsheets

Stockbridge Capital Partners

These guys own Bay Meadows, but Frank leases it and reportedly turns a profit. He'll pick up the dates for Golden Gate and his new track he's building or going to be building near Sacramento, once SCP closes BM.

I don't believe for a moment CDI had a stipulation it had to run Holly for 'x' amount of years for the deal to work. When the rumours first started with UPS, Holly wouldn't even finish out this season! If the racing was that lucrative, CDI wouldn't sell.

The deal breaker might be ignoring the Ingelside city council. They can make life miserable for any developer and have threatened to do so.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #15
so.cal.fan

Interesting take, sheets.
We understand that Inglewood City Council and Mayor.....are very anxious to get rid of the racetrack.....the Mayor has repeatedly made comments affirming this.
They were not notifyed as to this new deal......and are quite pissed off.
We were all so sure (my husband works at Hollywood Park) that the UPS deal was a done one...then UPS backed out and got other property even closer to the LAX. Then all the developers started bidding for the property.
I'm not believing a thing until it's signed sealed and delivered.
It still keeps running through my mind that this has something to do with slots.
What do you think, sheets? I know you don't live in Calif.....but you seem to have a pretty good line on the issue.