Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 11-20-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
OverlayHunter

Mike Maloney's Book

In the Dave Litfin thread, someone mentioned a book by Mike Maloney but did not mention the title. I don't know if this is the same book but "Betting with an Edge" is available on Amazon for - wait for it - $127.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter View Post
In the Dave Litfin thread, someone mentioned a book by Mike Maloney but did not mention the title. I don't know if this is the same book but "Betting with an Edge" is available on Amazon for - wait for it - $127.
Yea I'm not sure why there hasn't been a release to paperback.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
Michael

If anyone is really interested in obtaining that book... you can find it, if you take a moment to think for a bit... and look around the internet. I was able to find a pdf copy. (I'm not talking about torrents or the such - I think I paid retail for a pdf copy)

You can find it
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Yea I'm not sure why there hasn't been a release to paperback.
A hardback book is usually released in a paperback version only when the market for it appears to be attractive to the publisher. In horseracing literature...only Andy Beyer's work would qualify in that regard, IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-21-2022 at 09:05 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2022, 01:23 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I believe the publisher was DRF Press, and they are no longer in the business of publishing books. I have several books (including this one) that are listed for a lot of money on various sites. Maybe that should be my auxiliary 401k.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2022, 07:08 AM   #6
Dave S

Had that book as well. Unless one is willing to devote an inordinate amount of time to race replay analysis I do not think that the author's method is very practical.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Had that book as well. Unless one is willing to devote an inordinate amount of time to race replay analysis I do not think that the author's method is very practical.
Winning in a game with a 20% rake does take a lot of work, just the way it is.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2022, 09:09 PM   #8
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Winning in a game with a 20% rake does take a lot of work, just the way it is.
Not necessarily. There is a place called RPM Handicapping Giant which offers many handicapping methods guaranteed to provide the bettor with a "huge edge at the track"...and they require hardly any work at all.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:35 PM   #9
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Not necessarily. There is a place called RPM Handicapping Giant which offers many handicapping methods guaranteed to provide the bettor with a "huge edge at the track"...and they require hardly any work at all.
Ahhh memories - waiting for the seasonal catalog to come. Trying to figure out how to maximize the order to obtain the most and best "free" bonus items ...
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 01:44 AM   #10
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Ahhh memories - waiting for the seasonal catalog to come. Trying to figure out how to maximize the order to obtain the most and best "free" bonus items ...
I have actually gotten some pretty good things from RPM! Everything is not totally bad.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 07:59 AM   #11
desantis44

looking for a great pace software/book, any thoughts?

looking for a great pace software/book, any thoughts?
desantis44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #12
headhawg
crusty old guy

If you haven't read Modern Pace Handicapping by Tom Brohamer and Pace Makes the Race by Tom Hambleton and Dick Schmidt then start with those. I also think that Extreme Pace Handicapping by Randy Giles had some very good ideas. Power Pace Handicapping by Bob "Pandy" Pandolfo is more of a system/method type of book, but it includes software that does the calculations.

If you're into the Sartin methodology then you could try the RDSS software. The paceandcap.com forums are where you will find the most help with that style of pace handicapping.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #13
Dave S

Quote:
I believe that this is a false choice. The choice is not just between Mr. Maloney's method (however effective or ineffective it may be) and RPM's various offerings but the vast variety of various methods and procedures that lay between these two extremes. Certainly there must be more than a few methods that come close to or even exceed what is purported can be accomplished with his method with a much smaller time investment. I am not trying to downplay his accomplishments in any way, but two people viewing a race replay might come to the exact opposite conclusion about what they just saw and hence their resultant success or failure with the method. Only years of experience with the method might someone be able to refine the method (or not as the case may be).
Old 11-26-2022, 11:50 AM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
I believe that this is a false choice. The choice is not just between Mr. Maloney's method (however effective or ineffective it may be) and RPM's various offerings but the vast variety of various methods and procedures that lay between these two extremes. Certainly there must be more than a few methods that come close to or even exceed what is purported can be accomplished with his method with a much smaller time investment.
I don't see how we can be anywhere close to "certain" about that. There may be no method at all that can compare to Maloney's method, unless someone works even harder in this game than Maloney does. The "shortcut" handicapping methods that we so often see hardly compare to their advertising copy when they are put to the real test. As Cj already implied...it's folly to expect full-time results for a part-time effort, when the track takeout is 20%.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
Dave S

Quote:
I don't see how we can be anywhere close to "certain" about that. There may be no method at all that can compare to Maloney's method, unless someone works even harder in this game than Maloney does. The "shortcut" handicapping methods that we so often see hardly compare to their advertising copy when they are put to the real test. As Cj already implied...it's folly to expect full-time results for a part-time effort, when the track takeout is 20%.
Who said anything about "shortcuts"? Any worthy method will require lots of time and effort involved with it to make it successful. Just because his focus is on replays doesn't mean that this the only way one might proceed.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: