Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #31
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
You seem to forget that it costs money to keep a horse. They have 10s of thousands in each horse to just get them to the races and keep them there.

And anyways I was just commenting about how much money he’s throwing away by riding an incompetent jockey.

He can do what he wants but when you don’t use the brain in your cranium, it proves costly and her rides cost him 100s of thousands a year.

I’m sure J Wow has cost at least 30k in bills in 33 months.

My guess is he makes the most profits when other outfits spot runners that need to be claimed and he flips a cheap purchase into a 10k claim because someone sees the horse can be improved upon.
A $2500 purchase in October does not to equate to "10s of thousands" to get it to the races, especially when the races begin in April for them. He's an owner/trainer and maybe even his own blacksmith, IDK. What I do know is that it is a helluva lot cheaper doing it yourself than paying someone else a day rate.

His rider, even as inept as you elude to, comes cheaper than a top notch jockey as well, and regardless of the emphasis you want to put on the jock, if you don't have the horse underneath you it's not going to equate to the winners circle. Sure, her rides likely cost them a placing here and there, but it is far from "100s of thousands a year."
Old 07-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #32
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
A $2500 purchase in October does not to equate to "10s of thousands" to get it to the races, especially when the races begin in April for them. He's an owner/trainer and maybe even his own blacksmith, IDK. What I do know is that it is a helluva lot cheaper doing it yourself than paying someone else a day rate.

His rider, even as inept as you elude to, comes cheaper than a top notch jockey as well, and regardless of the emphasis you want to put on the jock, if you don't have the horse underneath you it's not going to equate to the winners circle. Sure, her rides likely cost them a placing here and there, but it is far from "100s of thousands a year."
He’d better be his own blacksmith, vet, trailer driver, etc. People think she makes a lot of money but in the end she still has to pay the valet, insurance, taxes, etc. so that 5-10% they keep in House is more like 3-7%.

Another question. Let’s say they weren’t together. Would she ride more than 20 horses a year?

It’s similar to hiring a trainer for $40 a day that wins 5% instead of a $100 a day trainer that wins 25%. Sure you save money month to month on the day rate but your purse revenue is diminished. If your horse has any talent you are much better off to hire the higher percentage trainer and pay more. Same idea, with the jock... sure they can keep that 10 or 5% in the family but they are throwing it away.

I have 3 angles for that I look for everyday.

1-. Horses changing trainers from Rodney Moyers to ANYONE.

2- Horses changing riders from Cox to anyone but Kathleen Vargas, which normally means there has been a rider change.

3- Horses changing riders from Vargas to anyone but Cox.

Anyway my point to the whole thread is, it wasn’t about them being cheap. It was that she is a brutal jockey, do you agree?
Old 07-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #33
jay68802

Pulled up some old PP's and watched some replays of her. Not the best out of the gate for sure. Did see her win a race and according to the PP's should have won the race. Other wise seemed like a normal 5% jockey. If things do not go well or she breaks poorly (seemed to me to be a ongoing theme), she is not going to carry a horse and win with it. A lot of time looked out of sync with the horse and seemed to get the horse in bad spots or out of position a majority of the time.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #34
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Pulled up some old PP's and watched some replays of her. Not the best out of the gate for sure. Did see her win a race and according to the PP's should have won the race. Other wise seemed like a normal 5% jockey. If things do not go well or she breaks poorly (seemed to me to be a ongoing theme), she is not going to carry a horse and win with it. A lot of time looked out of sync with the horse and seemed to get the horse in bad spots or out of position a majority of the time.
Thanks for taking the time to actually watch her!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #35
lamboguy

when Clyde Rice was alive, he did not allow anyone to use Arianna Cox on his horses.

she basically only rides for her boyfriend or husband whichever is the case today.

i haven't seen her in awhile, but the sister, Taylor Rice could ride ok.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #36
metro

Quote:
He’d better be his own blacksmith, vet, trailer driver, etc. People think she makes a lot of money but in the end she still has to pay the valet, insurance, taxes, etc. so that 5-10% they keep in House is more like 3-7%.

Another question. Let’s say they weren’t together. Would she ride more than 20 horses a year?

It’s similar to hiring a trainer for $40 a day that wins 5% instead of a $100 a day trainer that wins 25%. Sure you save money month to month on the day rate but your purse revenue is diminished. If your horse has any talent you are much better off to hire the higher percentage trainer and pay more. Same idea, with the jock... sure they can keep that 10 or 5% in the family but they are throwing it away.

I have 3 angles for that I look for everyday.

1-. Horses changing trainers from Rodney Moyers to ANYONE.

2- Horses changing riders from Cox to anyone but Kathleen Vargas, which normally means there has been a rider change.

3- Horses changing riders from Vargas to anyone but Cox.

Anyway my point to the whole thread is, it wasn’t about them being cheap. It was that she is a brutal jockey, do you agree?
The horses in Rice's barn are not worth a $100/day trainer, they are right where they belong. Most $100 a day trainers wouldn't bother making room for them, if they did take them they would only move them up marginally.

Yes, Cox's rides are often brutal, but again, a lot has to do with what is under her. imo, she would find her niche somewhere if not for the mounts from her BF, most likely at another non-descript track.

Most gamblers who use Cox on their tickets know what they are getting for with their money. It's no secret when you look at the pps and see the 5 for 78 type riders. If I use her and she makes a bonehead move there is no one to blame but myself.

When I have $18K on the line in the last leg of a pick-6 and a jockey like Florent Geroux drops a favorite completely out of the picture, but comes rolling down the center of the track late to just fall short at the wire, is when I get pissed at a jockey. I expect more from them they I ever will Arienne Cox.

Last edited by metro; 07-01-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #37
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
The horses in Rice's barn are not worth a $100/day trainer, they are right where they belong. Most $100 a day trainers wouldn't bother making room for them, if they did take them they would only move them up marginally.

Yes, Cox's rides are often brutal, but again, a lot has to do with what is under her. imo, she would find her niche somewhere if not for the mounts from her BF, most likely at another non-descript track.

Most gamblers who use Cox on their tickets know what they are getting for with their money. It's no secret when you look at the pps and see the 5 for 78 type riders. If I use her and she makes a bonehead move there is no one to blame but myself.

When I have $18K on the line in the last leg of a pick-6 and a jockey like Florent Geroux drops a favorite completely out of the picture, but comes rolling down the center of the track late to just fall short at the wire, is when I get pissed at a jockey. I expect more from them they I ever will Arienne Cox.
Wow you are good at twisting words. I was just saying he’s getting what he pays for jockey wise. I never said to move them to a different trainer. His horses would do just fine with a normal 15% jockey. She’s the reason they don’t win more often.

Glad you agree she’s brutal.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:28 AM   #38
clicknow

Quote:
He's an owner/trainer and maybe even his own blacksmith, IDK.
Wayne Rice is a blacksmith, in addition to being a trainer and owner and former rider.

They are 3 generations of racing family who have made it work as a business, and are able to run a pretty self-sufficient farm. They're not paying other people to do things, so you had it right.

( BTW, I think Taylor's aunt is Linda Rice, and her brothers are also former jockeys and trainers.)

Since Ms. Cox buys, sells, and also breaks and trains horses, I'm sure she more than earns her way around that farm ---- so her only "value" is certainly not solely as a jockey.

Personally, I love the old school business model of the *family farm*, where everybody wears multiple hats and has to develop a myriad of talents.
There is actually a competitive advantage to keeping it in the family (trust, vested interest, greater loyalty, more flexible working conditions, shared core values, etc) plus everybody develops some entrepreneurial skills.

They are just earning a living like most people do ... they aren't setting the world on fire and if that was their desire, they would change their business model...

Thankfully, not all horse racing is run by billionaire syndicates and foreign investors, with public relations noise machines pushing only super-jocks and super-trainers..... and breeding-shed "rock stars".

Off topic, but I truly do not know what the heck is wrong with the society today, family farms are going away ----- and it seems that many people want to be part of these new fractional ownership thingies simply because Jay-Z and LeBron James, or Hollywood directors or a few A-list celebrities are in the syndicate. (This is the way they are being sold.) It cracks me up that people are such synchophants.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #39
Grits

Quote:
My former trainer is a relative of his and even he joked “that is some awfully expensive ****y” if you get my drift.

The original post was my PSA of the week to save people here money! Lol
Seeing the name Wayne Rice, I knew this had to be one of Clyde Rice's sons or grandsons. .... The first time I ever read the name, Clyde Rice, was in the pps, betting Keeneland race meets. (His name, as owner, was rewarding as any horse entered under his ownership--was fit.) I've also read of him, here, at Pace Advantage, years ago, in the mid 2000s. Clyde Rice, with his family whom he taught all they know today, did more for thoroughbred racing than many.

I don't know how you could speak of anyone, I don't care who it is, as you've done here. As someone else noted, it's one thing to diss someone's skill. To write this, though,--is common. To write words such as this about ANY WOMAN is beyond comprehension to me.

You're repeating what you termed as the comments of a relative? Wow, who needs enemies with family members such as this?

A public service announcement PSA for the gentlemen here? I can't speak for them, however, it's possible they are dumbfounded that this filth was typed by a female.

Yet, it's all LOL and LMAO. Good fun, all that and more.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/p...ranch-dies-79/

http://www.drf.com/news/clyde-rice-r...riarch-dead-79
Old 07-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #40
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post

I don't know how you could speak of anyone, I don't care who it is, as you've done here. As someone else noted, it's one thing to diss someone's skill. To write this, though,--is common. To write words such as this about ANY WOMAN is beyond comprehension to me.
as long as it is hearsay anything goes!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #41
TiffaniO
Queen B

This should be easy to comprehend. I don’t care what people on an internet message board think about me. Plenty of people like me, plenty don’t, who cares? Call the whaaaaaaambulance.

There is the ignore list which you are free to use. I used it on you a long time ago... unfortunately I could see your response on GMB’s reply to you.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #42
lamboguy

Quote:
This should be easy to comprehend. I don’t care what people on an internet message board think about me. Plenty of people like me, plenty don’t, who cares? Call the whaaaaaaambulance.

There is the ignore list which you are free to use. I used it on you a long time ago... unfortunately I could see your response on GMB’s reply to you.
i think you are real good and have a decent grasp of this game.

i had a horse a few years back that staggered home at Finger Lakes to break her maiden for a $7500 tag. i sent the horse down to a trainer at Presque Isle who made a project of the horse. the exercise rider was Kevin Rice.. Kevin is probably in the top ten of all exercise riders in my mind, the horse won nw2 allowance in a good field and paid over $40 for win!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #43
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i think you are real good and have a decent grasp of this game.

i had a horse a few years back that staggered home at Finger Lakes to break her maiden for a $7500 tag. i sent the horse down to a trainer at Presque Isle who made a project of the horse. the exercise rider was Kevin Rice.. Kevin is probably in the top ten of all exercise riders in my mind, the horse won nw2 allowance in a good field and paid over $40 for win!
Finger Lakes horses normally run well at PID

And thank you

Last edited by TiffaniO; 07-02-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #44
Grits

Quote:

Ignore is good..... Yes, right after you went to my page here and read, countless knows how many of my posts.

Priceless!!

Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #45
TiffaniO
Queen B

I learned a long time ago... to not give a hoot what any other woman thinks of me. Most are snakes in the grass waiting to stab you in the back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F625ACD-CF7A-444E-8C40-36CDCEA8A4DE.jpeg (224.3 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by TiffaniO; 07-02-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: