Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #16
vegasone

Seems to me if you are so knowledgeable with all that stuff......you would be able to pick up programming. Takes a little effort and money to get to where you want to be. Not much comes easy or free unfortunately. Pay someone to do it for you if you are not inclined to do it yoursell.

It's not all that hard to get all that stuff into a data base.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 AM   #17
xtb

If you hope to analyze raw data or someone else's ratings for profit, those bones have been picked clean. You will need to process the data to make it your own in order to have something worthwhile.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2018, 04:24 AM   #18
jay68802

Where to start...

Times are considered free data, name of horse, jockey and trainer are considered free, after that it is up to you. It is a lot of work to data base data. Any "figures" are not free.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #19
Wizard of Odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
Seems to me if you are so knowledgeable with all that stuff......you would be able to pick up programming. Takes a little effort and money to get to where you want to be. Not much comes easy or free unfortunately. Pay someone to do it for you if you are not inclined to do it yoursell.

It's not all that hard to get all that stuff into a data base.
I could learn database programming, but creating a data base would be very tedious for me. Thanks for your encouragement!
Old 12-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #20
Wizard of Odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
If you hope to analyze raw data or someone else's ratings for profit, those bones have been picked clean. You will need to process the data to make it your own in order to have something worthwhile.

That's a very steep wall. In other words, I couldn't manipulate readily available data to create value (i.e., a positive ROI) for some subset of races/bets?
Old 12-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #21
Wizard of Odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Where to start...

Times are considered free data, name of horse, jockey and trainer are considered free, after that it is up to you. It is a lot of work to data base data. Any "figures" are not free.
I agree - a lot of work to create a data base from scratch
Old 12-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #22
elhelmete

What exactly are you asking again??
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 AM   #23
ubercapper

Many licensed resellers of data have packages which include machine readable charts as well as data on a forward going basis. For example, an email Bris recently sent out had links to their annual plans including their comprehensive charts file for $699.95. That's an entire year's worth of charts you can do what you want with as long as it's for personal use. They have samples with the file structure which will tell you whether the ratings you want are included. You can also check HDW, Equibase, Trackmaster and other licensed reseller's sites for data packages.

It's probably going to be a lot cheaper and efficient to go this route compared to getting the data any other way in the long run, as well as insures accuracy as opposed to hand entering or getting the data second hand.

As stated in other posts in this thread, the terms of use for the data on all licensed sites state its for personal use only.

To create a product from the data for anything other than personal use, you need a license, unless the product uses the commercially available files which the end user purchases from the licensed resellers.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #24
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard of Odds View Post
That's a very steep wall. In other words, I couldn't manipulate readily available data to create value (i.e., a positive ROI) for some subset of races/bets?
You can certainly try and I wish you luck. Give it a go and prove us wrong.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply