Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #91
CincyHorseplayer

Is this just the Uncle Mo effect? I'm not the only one that thought he was an ultra precocious then flame out type.

I definitely give him one more shot in the BC though. Whichever race they choose. I think he deserves that and his race Saturday wasn't that bad for all the reasons Class mentioned.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #92
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
Is this just the Uncle Mo effect? I'm not the only one that thought he was an ultra precocious then flame out type.

I definitely give him one more shot in the BC though. Whichever race they choose. I think he deserves that and his race Saturday wasn't that bad for all the reasons Class mentioned.
Perhaps running him in the BC Classic would be the sporting thing to do if he remains sound. However the way the modern game is played, the business model dictates that they take the stud money and run, rather than risk losing in the Classic. Horse racing is no longer the gentleman's game it once was. The corporate capitalist model is now the rule. Personally, I think it stinks but cannot deny the reality.

Uncle Moe was a very talented horse who's career was cut short by liver disease. That is not the same as the unsoundness that many "hot" stallions pass on to their offspring.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #93
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'll have to study the video replay, but live it seemed that this race was a little weak. The big guns didn't fire. Connect seemed to get a good trip and be running at the end. Gun Runner is not a horse that I consider to be in the cream of the crop.

We kind of made Nyquist into a star after beating Frosted(who had an awful trip and who has fallen off the map), and winning the Derby with a very good trip.

Nyquist is a good horse, he's just not as good as his performances looked if you took them literally.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 09-26-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #94
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
I'll have to study the video replay, but live it seemed that this race was a little weak. The big guns didn't fire. Connect seemed to get a good trip and be running at the end. Gun Runner is not a horse that I consider to be in the cream of the crop.

We kind of made Nyquist into a star after beating Frosted(who had an awful trip and who has fallen off the map), and winning the Derby with a very good trip.

Nyquist is a good horse, he's just not as good as his performances looked if you took them literally.
It's real easy to confuse these sons of Tapit isn't it! LOL! Mohaymen right?
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #95
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
It's real easy to confuse these sons of Tapit isn't it! LOL! Mohaymen right?
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
People under appreciate the change in tradition that horse racing has experienced. Two year olds come into the 3 yo season under developed and somewhat inexperienced. They just don't race a lot. Some hardly at all. So you get 3yo's that have potential, training and running months behind the old traditional schedule. Now, if you get a freak like California Chrome or American Pharoah it does not matter, they just keep improving and winning. These others flash their "early brilliance" until the others surpass. Gun Runner, lightly raced.........Connect, lightly raced......... American Freedom lightly raced............Arrogate hardly raced.

The trainers scheduling does not really match the seasons anymore. Anyone that says these horses and the game run in tradition............is out to lunch. Some good horses are handled with "kid gloves" and the way things go with injuries and the short careers, its for good reason.

You may think Burnsy is out to lunch but besides the few horses that really take over. Just look at recent Derby winners and their career in the later stages. Many of them are 6' tall Little Leaguers that get passed when they 14. I'm admitting there are exceptions but its a different game now. The training and racing habits have shifted.
I agree Burnsy

You are right about the 6' tall Little Leaguers

The triple crown preps, and series is also a hard grind. Survival of the fittest.

And there is an incentive to try to peak for the triple crown series if you have a great 2yo/3yo. Nowadays that also means stretching out to route races.

Your foundation comments are valid as well. I'm not a trainer. If I had to guess, I would guess a balanced progressive training and racing regimen would be best. I'd also guess that horses are delicate and reach a peak for a short while and then the spacing comes in, where you have to back off and re-gain the momentum back up to a peak again.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 09-26-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #96
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
He's already sold to stud to WinStar. I think the deal was back in the Spring (I don't know if it was after his derby win without looking it up). I'd prefer that he go back home and give the BCC a shot instead of assuming he can't win or run well there.
Sorry, I was wrong here, it was Darley who bought his breeding rights, and it was last Nov.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #97
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
YES!

I agree Burnsy

You are right about the 6' tall Little Leaguers

The triple crown preps, and series is also a hard grind. Survival of the fittest.

And there is an incentive to try to peak for the triple crown series if you have a great 2yo/3yo. Nowadays that also means stretching out to route races.

where you have to back off and re-gain the momentum back up to a peak again.

....And that right there is a mother F'er, when the others are progressing and passing in the later part of the season...........many just don't make the cut or are never the same again.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply