Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #76
f2tornado

Scroll, Bourbon, and Code will probably all be in that 2-1 to 3-1 range. Harvey and Security will take some money too. None are a great win bet to me however I don't have a stronger opinion on this bunch. I didn't like how slow Code of Honor ran the final half panel in FOY. I liked how well Bourbon closed in same race but don't like how he failed to get up when the pace dynamics fell in his lap. Those types of horses burn a lot of money. I do think Scroll will get a better ride this time but at 5/2 or so I'm inclined to pass. I've yet to find a compelling bomber either. Maybe a weak case for Everfast.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #77
Blenheim
Race Player

I'm so confused . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Scroll, Bourbon, and Code will probably all be in that 2-1 to 3-1 range. Harvey and Security will take some money too. None are a great win bet to me however I don't have a stronger opinion on this bunch. I didn't like how slow Code of Honor ran the final half panel in FOY. I liked how well Bourbon closed in same race but don't like how he failed to get up when the pace dynamics fell in his lap. Those types of horses burn a lot of money. I do think Scroll will get a better ride this time but at 5/2 or so I'm inclined to pass. I've yet to find a compelling bomber either. Maybe a weak case for Everfast.

Enter the Principle of Maximum Confusion. This holds that the public is most likely to underestimate the true winning probabilities of favorites in races where the past-performance record of the favorites is highly similar to one or more other horses. The intuitive rationale for the principle is the crowd's superior handicapping; that is, there must be some reason or reasons not immediately obvious for the public to make one horse its choice, notwithstanding its similarity to other horses. Yet the public is sufficiently confused that it bets too much money on the similar horses. Thus, its favorite is underbet. The public's confusion is held to be the maximal if enough other horses look enough like the favorite to make the favorite a good bet. (Quinn, 2003)

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #78
Parson

Just heard he drew the rail for the FL derby. anyone know where the draw results are?
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #79
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

No excuses for him but the rail means they pretty much have to go. It also means he can’t break a step slow again.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #80
Parson

Hidden Scroll
Current
Harvey Wallbanger
Bourbon War
Everfast
Hard Belle
Maximum Security
Bodexpress
Code Of Honor
Union's Destiny
Garter and Tie
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #81
classhandicapper

This horse obviously has a load of talent. His undoing last time was not relaxing off the lead. You would hope they are trying to teach him to do that, but with the rail they may feel temped to "go" again. That may or may not maximize his chances of winning depending on what else happens, but it's not going to help him learn to rate so he can get 10F.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #82
Robert Fischer
clean money

The Rail

It's the Florida Derby... 9F gate configuration near 1st turn...

You HAVE to go/break if you are any type of forwardly placed horse, because of the short run to the first turn.

If a horse/jock has any class, he then begins to settle into a cruise the moment he has seized the initiative regarding that first turn.

If he accelerates through the turn to the backstretch, it's either an incompetent ride or an unrateable horse.

the Rail is GIFT - unless he's 'pinched'

Now he gets a second chance to prove that he isn't Mendelssohn2.0.

It's a long shot, but he could be a great horse. He probable deserves to be one of the 20 in the gate for the Derby.

I can't rule out that he's a win-contender for the Derby, but I don't see it as very likely.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #83
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

If the goal is to ultimately rate (which I have no idea, just guessing) the rail is the worst post he could have drawn. It means he has to go to the front. Drawing outside the other speed allows him to rate
Old 03-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #84
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
If the goal is to ultimately rate (which I have no idea, just guessing) the rail is the worst post he could have drawn. It means he has to go to the front. Drawing outside the other speed allows him to rate
unless by 'rate' you mean a reversal of running style and stalking deep off the pace, there's no reason he can't rate into that first turn.

He has 3 slugs to his immediate right, and the turn comes up in about 12 seconds.

Just break, and then control the inside lane while using absolutely no horse and having a great forwardly placed position entering the backstretch cruising in the pocket, 2nd-flight behind any speed.

Castellano fits like a glove. Mott and Castellano know Gulfstream like the back of their hand.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #85
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

The presence of the Meijia entrant that will be a few hundred to 1 to his outside means he’ll be under the gun from the inside. Not a big deal, but also not ideal if the goal is to have him relax off of horses.

I think he wins big, but I disagree the draw helps. He would’ve been better off drawing outside the other speeds.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #86
f2tornado

The rail is often golden at that track and JC is as competent as you get there. Potential wire job. I think I will key him on top but certainly not with both fists and see what happens.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #87
Immortal6

Big days at GP always seem to be speed favoring but that doesn’t mean HS has the goods to get it done. Until I see proof he can actually relax and still produce a good closing kick in the stretch he is unbettable at short odds. Sure he could break well, settle into the first turn and relax a length or two off whichever horse takes to the lead in the backstretch before pulling away in the stretch to win by open lengths... but how could you bet on that exact scenario happening at 2-1 odds?
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #88
mountainman

The notion that any second time starter having crushed his mdn in super-sonic, frontrunning fashion would somehow have been tractable enough to concede the lead, rate kindly, and pass anybody in his stakes debut-with distance added, for good measure- strikes me as just short of ridiculous.

It's common assumption at mnr's simulcast parlor that a more judicious ride would have resulted in smashing victory. But, perhaps in the minority, I maintain that the aggressive send gave Hidden Scroll his best chance to win. Of course those blistering splits did the horse in. But by what crystal ball could Hidden Scroll's jock have foreseen his longshot speed-foe hanging in there so hard and for so long?? For all he knew into and around the first turn, his brilliantly rapid mount was a mere 5 or 6 strides from seizing the lead and forcing his RIVAL to rate. And surely, the chances of THAT seemed greater than of the incredibly fast Hidden Scroll tacking on distance, moving straight into a major stakes, and pulling of some kind of "Affirmed" impersonation-on just one starts worth of experience.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-27-2019 at 11:25 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #89
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

I’d be interested in knowing who made the decision to drag Hidden Scroll back to 3rd behind a slow pace.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #90
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
I’d be interested in knowing who made the decision to drag Hidden Scroll back to 3rd behind a slow pace.
I would say public scrutiny of going to fast last time, he wasnt going to be on the lead no matter what they pace was.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply