Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Maggie Wolfendale-Morley

I overall LOVE Maggie's insights but I loved the info she acquired for the second at the SPA today.

She said Anna Rae was named after Englehart's daughter, who coincidentally has her birthday today.

There is no way Englehart didn't enter this horse knowing he would give his daughter a very nice birthday present!!

She dominated at 9/2.

Liked her to begin with but the Maggie info made the intent obvious.

Out of all paddock people at various tracks, she is miles the best. More importantly, she's honest.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
ebcorde
Veteran

I saw her in person last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
I overall LOVE Maggie's insights but I loved the info she acquired for the second at the SPA today.

She said Anna Rae was named after Englehart's daughter, who coincidentally has her birthday today.

There is no way Englehart didn't enter this horse knowing he would give his daughter a very nice birthday present!!

She dominated at 9/2.

Liked her to begin with but the Maggie info made the intent obvious.

Out of all paddock people at various tracks, she is miles the best. More importantly, she's honest.

forget all that. She's 2x better looking in person too. in fact she was so hot. I honestly did not recognize her for a full minute or two. Seriously I was a at Parx last year for California Chrome race, and she was in the Paddock that day. It took me a minute or two to realize it was her. I was 10 feet from her. Had no idea it was her, that's how much better she looks in person. And everyone from the guys walking the horses, to the owners and crowd were checking her out. which was kinda funny, to watch guys steal glances. she's hot from head to toe.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
forget all that. She's 2x better looking in person too. in fact she was so hot. I honestly did not recognize her for a full minute or two. Seriously I was a at Parx last year for California Chrome race, and she was in the Paddock that day. It took me a minute or two to realize it was her. I was 10 feet from her. Had no idea it was her, that's how much better she looks in person. And everyone from the guys walking the horses, to the owners and crowd were checking her out. which was kinda funny, to watch guys steal glances. she's hot from head to toe.
Ya know, I didn't mention that as I have seen her in person ever since she came to NYRA a few years back. I even parked next to her (By pure coincidence LOL). So, I'm used to seeing her in person.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

She dominated at 9/2.
Nice angle for the day.....Wish I was alert to it...A logical "hunch"...
Old 08-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Nice angle for the day.....Wish I was alert to it...A logical "hunch"...
That's the insider knowledge I want
Old 08-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
thespaah

I have come to realize that anyone on here who has anything remotely negative to say about Maggie gets flamed.
Well, I think she has good insight, knows confirmation and reads horse's attitudes and mannerisms better than any Paddock host NYRA has had, there is one glaring flaw. Her delivery. She tends to get wordy and loses her train of thought. I realize her time on the mic is limited and that makes it difficult to convey all the information she has prepared, but I would like to see her take some public speaking courses or at least get with a speech coach....
Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
I have come to realize that anyone on here who has anything remotely negative to say about Maggie gets flamed.
Well, I think she has good insight, knows confirmation and reads horse's attitudes and mannerisms better than any Paddock host NYRA has had, there is one glaring flaw. Her delivery. She tends to get wordy and loses her train of thought. I realize her time on the mic is limited and that makes it difficult to convey all the information she has prepared, but I would like to see her take some public speaking courses or at least get with a speech coach....

I hear you. I don't have a problem with her delivery too much because I read into it. If she stutters and hesitates I take that as her not being sure about the horse or the opinion of the horse she's speaking of.

She is unbelievably consistent with her job though and I love it. She said, a year ago, that the 10 horse in today's finale is a Turfer and a Router. I took note of that last year. The horse ran in 3 dirt sprints and off a layoff came back in a Turf Route. She said it again before today's 10th, the 10 is a Turf Router.

I had the horse singled in picks. He paid $12.

I usually hear these paddock people talking horse shit. Not her, she's damn good.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #8
Spiderman

The, 'kids in the paddock' angle is something worth noticing. Especially, if the kids are at track on a school day.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Maggie is sharp, and NYRA's presentation is the best in the US.

(I've started working Del Mar for extra plays, and their presentation feels like they're selling me something.)

Maggie is also a very sharp handicapper. At times that knowledge of the form can be a double-edged sword. She can extend her knowledge to give you deeper info, but occasionally it will shape her paddock insights. I try to keep that in mind when listening to her.

I am fairly strong at physicality, and she mentions a lot of things that I haven't noticed, or can't see from my vantage point.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Chaka26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Ive only seen her a few times but
Could it be shes Losing her train of thought because someone is chiming in her ear piece while shes trying to commentate?
Like being on the phone and someone yapping at you simulatenously
Old 08-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka26
Ive only seen her a few times but
Could it be shes Losing her train of thought because someone is chiming in her ear piece while shes trying to commentate?
Like being on the phone and someone yapping at you simulatenously
Possible.
My thinking is she has prepared a summary of the horses she wants to talk about, but just does not have that polished delivery.
As I stated a visit or several with a speech coach would work wonders.
BTW, she called the winner of the 1st today. And what I like best about her insight is she states why she likes a certain horse or horses.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #12
Secondbest

She didn't like the favorite in the eigth and she was right
Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #13
Secondbest

Maggie liked the 10 in the ninth.Ran second paid 10.40 to place.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
bello
Veteran

Always been a big fan from fer Colonial days. Every year I hit the spa with a bunch of buddys who are track novices. We have a reunion there every year and I told them to listen to Maggie for the best advice. We are out there carrying on and getting drunk, but when Maggie comes on, it's off to the nearest loudspeaker. But the greatest part and why she is such a great personality, is these 50-60 year old drunk guys start screaming at her and thanking her for the advice and she is all smiles and cordial right back. She not only understands horses more than most, but also people.

As far as the stuttering and stammering, its who she is. Doesn't bother me a bit. Great find by Nyra.

I didn't realize she married Tom Morley though.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #15
BMustang

I think she adds a dimension that we don't enjoy at most tracks.

Her knowledge of confirmation and maturity, along with remembering what the horse looked like and acted last time out are invaluable.

I think she is excellent and a valuable asset. I only wish she stayed with those factors and away from the handicapping arena which she has delved into more this year than I remember her doing in the past.

Last edited by BMustang; 08-16-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: