Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-05-2023, 09:51 AM   #1
PalaceOfFortLarned

G1 Whitney

Well, it is time.

The heart of racing takes on 9 panels today with a BC Classic bid on the line. ML 1/2 favorite Cody's Wish will have a legion of fans rooting for him today, and how can you not want him to win?

While a huge favorite, this will be a stern test as the champion sprinter stretches out upon the surface known as the graveyard of champions.

His biggest challengers are all looking for their own greatness as well. Zandon, Charge It, and White Abarrio have all had high expectations, yet haven't quite delivered all the goods.

Zandon: 11(2-5-3) record shows his always the bridesmaid never the bride background. This talented Brown colt has always been knocking on the door. A sheets player favorite, can he get it done today?

Charge It: This 4YO could be rounding into career best form. With 4 wins in 10 career tries, this Pletcher trained colt by Tapit has been almost an enigma thus far in his career. How good is he, or how good can he be? A lot of questions will be answered of this one today.

White Abarrio: His Holy Bull and Florida Derby romps put him on the map. Since then? Not much. Now pulls in trainer Dutrow with Irad on board after a decent showing in the Met Mile that Cody's Wish pretty much dominated. Is this one finally ready to take that next step forward?

Should be a good one.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

small field for a 'G1'

Zandon is my pick
Old 08-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
bisket

I was thinking about Charge It, but after looking closely at him, I don't like him moving forward at 2 turns against the same field in The Manhattan. I'm sitting this one out.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2023, 01:35 PM   #4
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
I was thinking about Charge It, but after looking closely at him, I don't like him moving forward at 2 turns against the same field in The Manhattan. I'm sitting this one out.
I'm with you insofar as I can't really do anything with this race. I was thinking Zandon has no excuse to not run ok in here but then again how high would the odds need to be for me to see it as an overlay price. At 2 for 11 lifetime I can't see it being a worthwhile price under any circumstances. Kind of goes the same for a lot of these, they all lose more races than they win except for the favorite. He looks for ways to win and they look for ways to place. Spectating not speculating for me in here.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-05-2023 at 01:37 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Taking a shot with Charge It...just like betting against giant favorites doing something for the first time. You lose a lot against those but do catch some overlays now and then.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2023, 05:56 PM   #6
GMB@BP

The race did not play out like I hoped, thought the 2 would be on or near the lead. I cant handicap anymore.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:03 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Well, it is time.

His biggest challengers are all looking for their own greatness as well. Zandon, Charge It, and White Abarrio have all had high expectations, yet haven't quite delivered all the goods.

Nice call on White Abereo, BABE!

Last edited by Tom; 08-05-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2023, 06:47 PM   #8
MJC922

Do they always put a shank on Cody's Wish at the gate? Seemed unnecessary at the time. Especially shanking him once for no reason when it was clipped on. Whenever I walked a shanked horse I made it a point to not shank the horse until it does something to warrant it. Should only be on there as a precaution IMO. It's akin to a slap upside the head which you don't usually do for no reason right, unless it's your brother and then he gets annoyed. Surprise. Well Cody got annoyed, started thinking of something other than racing (the goon at the gate) and then understandably bobbled at the break. This is why I don't like betting early, things like that matter sometimes IMO. Anyway I had no dog in the fight. Well done those who had Abarrio, Dutrow, Irad, they made it look easy. Zandon will win someday when he can't help it, he'll win by ten when he's in against nobody and slips through on the rail in the slop or something, it'll probably have to be a surprise peek-a-boo there's nobody to hang on moment.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-05-2023 at 06:56 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2023, 09:50 PM   #9
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Nice call on White Abereo, BABE!
Threw a couple nickels on that EX Box.

Had Mel singled in a few. Cody loses and Mel breaks down. Not a fun day for racing.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2023, 11:54 PM   #10
BMustang

I've always suspected that the New York gate crew are a bunch of political appointees.

Only in New York do you see a gate crew member lead a hesitant horse to the gate at the end of a long shank (which encourages him/her to rear up), instead of grabbing him/her by the bridle and leading him/her in.

Drives me nuts..
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2023, 01:08 AM   #11
Spalding No!

Cody's Wish has broken poorly in the majority of his starts.

Doesn't have much of a kick either with a :48 half mile in front of him.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2023, 08:47 AM   #12
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post
I've always suspected that the New York gate crew are a bunch of political appointees.

Only in New York do you see a gate crew member lead a hesitant horse to the gate at the end of a long shank (which encourages him/her to rear up), instead of grabbing him/her by the bridle and leading him/her in.

Drives me nuts..
Yea IMO seemed like it soured the horse's mood, he was clearly bothered when he got shanked. I don't see the entire incident on any the replays online though. I guess maybe it must've only been on the fox coverage where I was out and about. The only thing visible on the replays is the tail end of it, where the guy is standing in front of the horse in the gate stall while he unclips the shank, then eventually removes it very roughly and flings it out the back of the stall, grabs the horse's bridle does a huge bicep curl with it and the gate pops. The whole interaction with the guy seemed unnecessarily heavy-handed. Spalding makes a good point about Cody usually breaking slowly, I didn't know that, I checked the Met break and yes it looks very similar so the break was apparently the usual for the horse and not due to this. Even though the horse has made a huge splash I haven't really followed him closely enough to know much about his habits.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:01 AM   #13
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

Good point on the break. As for the pace, the flow was against him but he's in range, I just don't think he showed up.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #14
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
The only thing visible on the replays is the tail end of it, where the guy is standing in front of the horse in the gate stall while he unclips the shank, then eventually removes it very roughly and flings it out the back of the stall, grabs the horse's bridle does a huge bicep curl with it and the gate pops. The whole interaction with the guy seemed unnecessarily heavy-handed.
Cody's Wish was also handled aggressively in the Forego last year. He and another horse became fractious & you can see the starter take hold & throttle him a couple of times.

Obviously starters & their crews keep track of problem horses which can be a double edged sword if a horse matures out of his gate issues. Given the compromised positions they put themselves in, the starters are likely to be on edge with such a horse even if the horse isn't doing anything in the moment.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #15
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

which was pretty predictable before the race. There was a lot going against him going in, throw in the start.

I also thought, only via the feeds, he didnt look so great warming up and getting to the gate.