Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #436
Rohirrim
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Complete bullshit, he was not killed by anyone.
The reality is that the investigation into his death is ongoing and nothing official has been released, including the autopsy report.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2021, 12:37 AM   #437
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The reality is that the investigation into his death is ongoing and nothing official has been released, including the autopsy report.
His mother even says he had a stroke hours after the event.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2021, 12:39 AM   #438
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Apparently you didn't see this earlier link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...-training-mob/
Behind pay wall
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 AM   #439
Rohirrim
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Behind pay wall
It's a column written by a cop. PA can delete if he objects to it being copied.

Quote:
Shoot/Don’t shoot. Shoot/Don’t shoot. I keep muttering that impossible choice as I watch scenes of violence inside the U.S. Capitol. I know this question was racing through the minds of the Capitol Police officers we saw surrounded by the mob on Jan. 6. Shoot/Don’t shoot. Some of them will be asking themselves that question for the rest of their lives.

They never should have been put in that position. The failure to prepare adequately for what was a very well-known and publicized protest and riot (people were openly talking about storming the Capitol with guns) made individuals out of what should have been a wall of officers.

I’m a police officer. In training, we’re taught to respond to various scenarios. There are plenty of scenarios in which a man suddenly reaches for a phone and you don’t shoot, or where a woman whirls around with an automatic weapon and you do shoot. There are no scenarios where hundreds and hundreds of angry but mostly unarmed people push up and past you. Shoot/Don’t shoot.

To understand how agonizing the decision to shoot or not shoot was in the case of the Capitol riot, it’s important to know something about police policies involving lethal force. While every department has its own specific use-of-force policies, they all revolve around the notion of an imminent deadly threat. Officers are authorized — they are compelled — to use deadly force to prevent death or serious bodily injury to themselves or others.

In every police academy, including the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, where every Capitol Police recruit spends two months before coming back for another two months of agency-specific training, there is heavy emphasis on use-of-force decisions. These involve scenarios called “judgmentals,” in which the recruit, armed with a light-emitting gun, stands in front of screens playing various scenarios. The scenarios all present the same challenge: Properly recognize the threat in front of you and shoot if appropriate.

I helped build a police force in Iraq. We refused to dress them in camo.

I watch these Capitol Police officers running through their scenarios and their training and policies and their sense of duty and their sense of self-preservation. But I am looking at a situation that was unlike anything during training in judgmentals. Yes, the threat is obvious, but is it imminent, and against whom? Where do you draw the line of “no more”? The Capitol Police are well-trained in protests and even riots on the perimeter of the complex, but this doesn’t work with small groups or isolated officers.

I was a Capitol Police officer from 2001 to 2002 and even now remember the high quality of training. We were trained in what to do if gunmen tried to storm the Capitol, but we were not trained in what to do if hundreds of people, egged on by the president of the United States, decided to rush the building and disrupt certification of the votes of the electoral college, not with an armed assault — although some had weapons — but with numbers. Huge numbers. Shoot/Don’t shoot.

It’s easy to say that if you were there, you would have shot at a certain point; it appears there was only one incident of deadly force by a police officer, remarkable when you see the full scope of what was happening. But the reality is that every instinct of those police officers was to not shoot, and for a number of reasons. Left alone or in small groups because of leaders’ lack of preparation for this event, each of these officers had to ask themselves the most horrible of questions: What is happening behind me? When do I kill 16 of the 1,000 people in front of me with the ammunition I have in my Glock 22 because they are pushing past me? (You won’t be able to reload.) What is my point of no return? I know I’m not a coward, but can I be a monster? And then this question: If I survive this, can I live with this?

Adding to the horror are reports that several officers have been suspended while their actions during the riot are investigated, acting more to encourage or enable than to protect and serve. I fear with certainty that other police departments will learn of criminal actions or conduct unbecoming by some of their officers in the riot. There is a violent extremist and often racist cancer in many parts of our society and certainly in law enforcement. It’s difficult to comprehend that while a handful of officers were taking selfies with people who had literally broken into the U.S. Capitol, many of their colleagues were facing the mob without adequate backup, cut off and continually asking themselves: Shoot/Don’t shoot. Shoot/Don’t shoot.

I’m a cop. I won’t fight a ‘war’ on crime the way I fought the war on terror.

I’m so angry at what has happened, and I’m so sad for those officers who will forever be asking these questions and more, questions we all should ask, such as: Why did people waving a “thin blue line” flag fatally injure a police officer? Why weren’t there adequate preparations? Why did the president and senior elected officials and forever-angry talking heads urge people to “fight,” to “take back their country,” and to “stop the steal,” and why, then, did everyone act surprised that so many did exactly that?

I don’t pretend to have answers, but I do know that this can never happen again. It shouldn’t have happened at all. The whole point of security planning, of layered defenses and depth, is that it never gets to the point of what we all saw at the Capitol. If your security plan relies on the heroism of individual officers, then you haven’t written a security plan. You’ve written suicide notes for other people.

What would we be talking about now if officers on the perimeter had decided to shoot because they correctly perceived the threat as imminent but not in a way that any policy would cover? How many people would have died? Would it have changed anything? We let far too much rest on the decisions of individual police officers endlessly reviewing an awful choice: Shoot/Don’t shoot.

Patrick Skinner

Patrick Skinner is a police officer in his hometown of Savannah, Ga. He is a former CIA operations officer and served in the United States Coast Guard as well as the U.S. Capitol Police.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 AM   #440
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The three officers I'm referring to are holding the door in this video. They are not wearing riot gear. They are not carrying military firearms. And they clearly are afraid and have NO ****ING IDEA WHAT TO DO.

So they bailed.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/nat...pitol/2491343/
I'm talking about the THREE HEAVILY ARMED OFFICERS IN THE HALLWAY STANDING FEET AWAY FROM THE WOMAN WHO WAS SHOT DEAD.

Apparently, they didn't think she was much of a threat, or they would have taken her out first.

But they didn't...I wonder why...

And as Ralph said, they could have easily been shot by accident by the cop who murdered Ashli Babbitt.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:56 AM   #441
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Do you not find this ****ing bizarre?

The reason you haven't heard anything on the autopsy (AFTER ALMOST TWO MONTHS) is because it completely blows the "he was murdered" narrative out the ****ing window.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #442
davew

Quote:
and it never will be, because it contradicks the killer insurrection dim lie
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #443
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Wow! Written by a cop? Oh my.....?

I like this part. “ I was a Capitol Police officer from 2001 to 2002”

So was Chris Mathews the disgraced MSNBC pundit. I didn’t believe half the shit he used to say.

I don’t give a shit what they say. Apparently if a cop writes something you give it great credence huh? It’s horse shit. That was not a good use of deadly force. She wasn’t a threat to anyone.

If I buy off on your theory there should be a couple hundred body bags. Not one. Yep....the other cops didn’t shoot unarmed women. They made the right decision.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #444
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's amazing this cop got away with what he did without even his identity being splattered all over the news. Amazing how there exists different rules for the same kind of incident.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:42 AM   #445
Rohirrim
Veteran

Quote:
I don’t give a shit what they say. Apparently if a cop writes something you give it great credence huh? It’s horse shit. That was not a good use of deadly force. She wasn’t a threat to anyone.
"She" was the mob, and she/the mob had just violently breached the final barricade that security had set up to protect Congress and staffers. She was the first one through the breach, and she paid the price.

Repub Congressman explains

Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #446
JustRalph
Just another Facist

He violated every use of force policy ever written. He shot an unarmed woman who had committed the heinous crime of crawling through a window and trespassing.

Again, if he was a street cop, he would be toast
Old 02-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #447
jay68802

Quote:
He violated every use of force policy ever written. He shot an unarmed woman who had committed the heinous crime of crawling through a window and trespassing.

Again, if he was a street cop, he would be toast
If this situation was not so political, he would be prosecuted.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #448
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
His mother even says he had a stroke hours after the event.
Is that idiot going to believe the government over his mother?
Rhetorical question.....that guy is a a total moron.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #449
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
If this situation was not so political, he would be prosecuted.
Imagine if Jan 6 was a BLM protest, and the woman climbing through the window was black and the cop was white.

But since it was the reverse (white woman, black cop), and because she was a Trump supporter, she gets no justice, just RIP.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #450
Rohirrim
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Imagine if Jan 6 was a BLM protest, and the woman climbing through the window was black and the cop was white.

But since it was the reverse (white woman, black cop), and because she was a Trump supporter, she gets no justice, just RIP.
And you and Ralph would be coming down hard on the cop? Calling it murder - right?

Right.

Here, I'll help you with some better context.

Romney kicks Obama's butt in 2012, but instead of conceding, Obama spends weeks and weeks encouraging a BIG LIE about how he actually won in a landslide, and the election is being stolen.

This culminates with a big rally on Jan 6 2017 where as Congress is set to certify the election, Obama gives a speech at a BLM rally near the capitol and repeats his lies yet again, and talks about how he hopes VP Biden comes through for him, etc etc.

BLM then storms the capitol and all hell breaks loose, etc etc.

A black woman is the first to try hurling herself through the smashed reinforced window of a barricaded doorway as hundreds of rioting BLMers loom behind her, about to gain access to terrified members of Congress and staffers who are literally running for their lives and trying to find safe places to hide.

And a white cop shoots at whoever is coming through his established last line of defense, and drops her.

There. Proper context. And you and Ralph still crying murder.

Right?

You can bet your sweet bippy I still wouldn't be.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: