Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:03 PM   #3511
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The margin requirements for E-mini futures are $500 to day trade, per contract...and $12,500 to hold "overnight" per contract. Holding "overnight" when it comes to this contract only means holding between the hours of 5-6pm ET, when the market is closed for an hour every trading day. Or if you want to hold from Friday @ 5pm until the next opening on Sunday @ 6pm.

So yeah, you have to have a decent sized account if you want to hold multiple contracts for days...weeks...or months...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-16-2022 at 09:05 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2022, 09:08 PM   #3512
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The margin requirements for E-mini futures are $500 to day trade, per contract...and $12,500 to hold "overnight" per contract. Holding "overnight" when it comes to this contract only means holding between the hours of 5-6pm ET, when the market is closed for an hour every trading day. Or if you want to hold from Friday @ 5pm until the next opening on Sunday @ 6pm.

So yeah, you have to have a decent sized account if you want to hold multiple contracts for days...weeks...or months...
this is all.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (19.9 KB, 3 views)
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2022, 01:36 AM   #3513
lamboguy

rigged markets

a big nickel producer from China got caught on the wrong side a few weeks ago, so unprecedented, the London Metal Exchange suspended trading until the producer could manage to get a loan for the $8 billion he was short for the margin requirements. it took almost a week to get the money. nothing close to this has happened before including the Hunt brothers fiasco in the silver market. on another note, i had touted nickel about a decade ago on these boards and i listened to my own tout and bought boxes and boxes of $100 U.S. nickels. the content price had shot up like a rocket ship. so i tried to sell them, but i couldn't find a buyer incidentally there is only 25% nickel content in a U.S. nickel, the rest of the coin is copper. the other thing is that if you had speculated with futures contracts and it looked like you had hit a grand slam, you were unable to trade out of them because the exchange was closed. is this the future of what is going to take place in other markets?

https://kingworldnews.com/trouble-at...ishment-fails/
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2022, 03:03 AM   #3514
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
since i touted FVAC it has gone straight down from $15 to $10.

this is going to be a very hot IPO in the fourth quarter sometime.
you are never going to get down on this stock at the initial price of $10. i am guessing at 3 different levels to get in. level 1 will be $11.86, level 2 will be $11.28 and level 3 will never happen at $10.

this stock figures to pop to $17 or more the day it comes out and could go much higher.

the downside risk is if they don't get approved to do a reverse stock merger. i really don't see any reason for them not to get it. if for some reason they don't it will head below $10.

if the government gave Kodak $840 million, they will give this company $84 billion if they have to.
i was right on this one, the stock got re-named to MP materials and its trading in the mid $40's now
Old 03-19-2022, 03:09 AM   #3515
lamboguy

Quote:
the most pertinent info is that i have been buying this stock starting at $6.00 all the way down to $.60 for the past 6 years.

the guy that runs the company was very successful with Goldcorp, which took over another company called Glamis Gold. he left Goldcorp before that takeover. Goldcorp wound up getting bought out by Newmont Mining.

when McEwen left Goldcorp the share price was $50. he brought it up from $3 to the $50 and cashed out. i was also in Goldcorp under $10 and sold in the $40's.

today, McEwen has some real good properties, but they have not done a good job exploring and building mines. they had a fire, and a robbery in one of their mines.

i am guessing they are ready to turn the corner now. (i hope they are anyway) my belief is the CEO is as good as it gets. i have met the man a few times and have been very impressed. Rob McEwen is is the largest shareholder of the company and does not receive a salary. he only wins if you win.
this one has been my jonus and remains bad.. i am a very stubborn MF when it comes to this one..

i couldn't be more wrong on this POS. but i still hold it!
Old 03-19-2022, 03:12 AM   #3516
lamboguy

Quote:
i have been buying Mosaic (MOS). this company does phosphate and potash crop nutrients. kind of boring and the dividend is only .20 per share. lets see if it livens up going forward.
this one worked out pretty well, i still hold it
Old 03-19-2022, 03:16 AM   #3517
lamboguy

Quote:
its going to take at least 2 years for the worlds economy to make a significant bounce. in our country we have lost a net amount of 13 million jobs and it doesn't look like its going to get better soon.

but copper should come back in a big way 2 years from now. within 5 years i think it will be $5 a pound in today's dollars. if the dollar gets weaker it will be higher. right now copper is slightly under $3,00 per pound. natural gas probably going to follow the same route as copper. that would be a humungus move in that market.
did it ever!
Old 03-19-2022, 03:28 AM   #3518
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
If Biden wins I am changing over to all stocks that have a connection to China
this wasn't such a great move until this week. Alibaba (BABA) looks like it's going to be very strong equity now. It was up 30% this past week and has a nice hill to climb, and i think it will now. lots of questions to be answered from China now, will they side with the west, and will they takeover TAIWAN?
Old 03-19-2022, 03:30 AM   #3519
lamboguy

Quote:
PAAS trading now at $33. good entry point long $29, great entry point long $26
$ 26 turned out to be not so great, but it is over that number now!
Old 03-19-2022, 03:38 AM   #3520
lamboguy

Quote:
this market will probably be very volatile from here until the election. the markets never love uncertainty. the president has already said that he doesn't trust this election, and the democrats are hiring lawyers all over the place to make sure the election doesn't get rigged against them.

today s+P 3360 i say its lower in November now.
they must have had great lawyers!
Old 03-19-2022, 03:42 AM   #3521
lamboguy

Quote:
who would have ever thunk that the company ZOOM would have the same market cap as EXON MOBIL. sick i know, and to me it looks like XOM is going a lot lower.....XOM is a very tough stock to short long term because they are paying a crazy high dividend and they pay it by losing market cap.
it did go lower, but has since recovered
Old 03-19-2022, 04:24 AM   #3522
lamboguy

Quote:
you already are in the top sector with Tesla. that company may wind up bigger than Amazon some day. i messed it. i bought into MP when it was a special purpose acquisition company (FVAC). i got it under 12 and rode it up and sold enough to get my money out of it and pay the short term capital gains tax, and just ride the rest. CALM has not been like taking a slow boat to china. i am thinking that protein is the way to go now with a big push against carbs due to the problems that overeating them does to a human body. the downside of this would be a major decrease in population. this is one of the reasons why i have been charting and following the corona numbers. i don't see a major loss in population due to the corona. i am thinking there are going to be more eggs eaten and prices to go way up.. i just bought an 18 pack of eggs today for $1.39 in a supermarket. at times when eggs are in short supply that same package can fetch $2,89. i am thinking at some point .25 per egg would be no big deal. throw in some inflation and some higher demand and this stock could double in a year with very little downside risk. in our country the birth rate is 1.74 births per woman. we are losing population due to that number.. the reason for the decline is that most women had to leave the house to work and had to leave their kids in daycare. with the virus there are more women that stay home to work and they can watch over their kids at home. i am thinking the government will come up with some type of incentive for women to have more kids, with that and the stay at home mother, that should add to the demand for eggs. with a woman staying at home they also have the time to cook eggs as well. everything looks like demand for eggs is going to pick up.

as far as the mining stocks, for the past 20 years they have been going up and down constantly without sustaining a solid trend. most of them have plenty of hurdles to jump still, like environmental and political risks. when the profit margins go up, many countries are going to tax the gold coming out of their ground at higher rates. it won't happen to bad in North America and Australia. Canada and Aus. are very mining friendly places. most parts of Africa, Asia, and South America are not. Mexico, if yo can trust them, are promising no new taxes for about the next decade. on the mining stocks i am trying to only play the ones that Fidelity or Wellington are in already.. they have always been great at this sector.
i think i had this Egg deal right ,CALM did double and still pays a crazy high dividend. i am still holding onto, buying gold with the diviidnds now.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #3523
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Thx Lam for trip down memory lane.....

After FED meeting stocks came roaring back surpassing 20-50 moving averages

now it at the 200.....all in 4 days.....futures looking good for Monday too

Who said S&P 2800??????

My account is up 1% from taking it out in June 2021

The Chase managed account, that I was in, is still down 5% and a large hill to climb

geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #3524
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post

Who said S&P 2800??????

The Chase managed account, that I was in, is still down 5% and a large hill to climb

i said 2800 by the end of March, and it looks like i am wrong again. but that doesn't mean i won't be right at some point of time.. i was hoping that it would go down and retest those levels to give the s+p a needed test so that i could get long. now the big fall is still in place and maybe worse than what we expected.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #3525
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post

Who said S&P 2800??????

you can do way better in banks with no risk at all. you can make 7% on your money just by depositing money in a checking account and doing direct deposits. most banks give you promotional deals for keeping your money in them for 6 months. i did one this week, i put in the $20,000 and did a direct deposit from an ADW for $2500. i need 3 direct deposits and i qualify for the bonus. this got to be better than JP Morgan wealth management. the bonus is $750