Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 3.80 average.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #4816
lefty359
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 604
Floyd, I don't like to box more than 2 in an exacta. If I have 3 I like to key 1 to other 2. Any thoughts on picking a key horse from he 3?
lefty359 is offline  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #4817
djser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Here's a useful method if you have both "Platinum" and "Best~5."
Do your scratches using headhawg's program.
Run "Best~5 Consensus" (Be sure to scratch any scratched horse manually)
Run Platinum's "Comp Report." (Be sure to scratch any scratched horse manually)
Compare the two, marking every horse that appears on BOTH the "Comp Report" and "Consensus."
Bet any non-maiden race that has two or more horses in common, with Morning Line odds no lower than 3/1 on any of the three horses, as an exacta box.
$$$PROFIT$$$

You'll want to test this on various tracks to see where it works for you, of course. I'm showing good luck with this method at Turfway Park, Turf Paradise, Will Rogers Downs and Sunland.

Above all, have fun!

headhawg's program??? What program is that?

And why scratch with this program, when you can scratch inside the Best-5 and Platinum programs?
djser is offline  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #4818
dansan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,491
field size

So in a 12 horse field you box 2 horses
dansan is offline  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #4819
headhawg
crusty old guy
 
headhawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Snarkytown USA
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by djser View Post
headhawg's program??? What program is that?

And why scratch with this program, when you can scratch inside the Best-5 and Platinum programs?
In my versions of Best 5 or Exotic Bets you can't unscratch a horse if you make a mistake; in your's maybe you can. So if you use more than one of NCG's programs (which you need for Floyd's method) you don't have to scratch multiple times -- the scratched horses would already deleted from the data file. You don't have to use HDST; you can just do what you've been doing. I provided the program as a time-saving tool.
headhawg is offline  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #4820
Floyd
Registered User
 
Floyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Floyd, I don't like to box more than 2 in an exacta. If I have 3 I like to key 1 to other 2. Any thoughts on picking a key horse from he 3?
I'm still working on that. Seems like every time I key a horse another one beats it! I'm keeping careful records, but I think I'm outsmarting myself most of the time on this stuff. Every time I hit on a profitable method it works great, until it doesn't. For about 8 months I was on a roll with $.50 pick threes, picking the right races to play and getting some nice hits. Then it just dried up. Over time the payouts decreased to the point where I'd still maintain my hit rate but consistently lose money.
Now it's exactas. Minimal actual handicapping, fairly consistent profitability over time, but I know it's going to change and I'll have to find another angle.
But hey, if it was just "Push a couple buttons and cash in" all the time it wouldn't be near as much fun.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------Bet the rent!! (Don't bet the rent.)
Floyd is offline  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #4821
Floyd
Registered User
 
Floyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansan View Post
So in a 12 horse field you box 2 horses
No, I'm boxing the 3 horses that Best~5 picks, as long as there are are 2 of them also on the Platinum list. Many times (I'm working on the exact percentages) the horse thats on Best~5 but NOT on Platinum will win it. I'm trying to keep it simple since I'm still working full time and my wife likes it when I cook dinner!
Try it on paper for a few races at your favorite track and see if it works for you.
There are literally hundreds of ways to use these programs, this is just one I've found that works for me, for now. I've got some others in the works that I'll share after testing.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------Bet the rent!! (Don't bet the rent.)
Floyd is offline  
Old 04-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #4822
reckless
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: near Philadelphia
Posts: 4,560
Would anyone know if I could install and run Greg's Platinum Plus and/or Pace-View, I own both programs, via Virtual Box??

My two modern computers run on the Linux operating system, Mint and Linux Lite, no Windows.

Thanks in advance.
reckless is offline  
Old 04-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #4823
lefty359
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I'm still working on that. Seems like every time I key a horse another one beats it! I'm keeping careful records, but I think I'm outsmarting myself most of the time on this stuff. Every time I hit on a profitable method it works great, until it doesn't. For about 8 months I was on a roll with $.50 pick threes, picking the right races to play and getting some nice hits. Then it just dried up. Over time the payouts decreased to the point where I'd still maintain my hit rate but consistently lose money.
Now it's exactas. Minimal actual handicapping, fairly consistent profitability over time, but I know it's going to change and I'll have to find another angle.
But hey, if it was just "Push a couple buttons and cash in" all the time it wouldn't be near as much fun.
I sure know that feeling!!
lefty359 is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #4824
Floyd
Registered User
 
Floyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 486
Was anybody playing Oaklawn with me yesterday?

Best~5 Consensus was ON FIRE!

Picked the winner in every race.
Races 1,2,5,6,8 and 9 were the #1 picks.
Race 3 was the #2 pick.
Race 4 & 7 were the #3 picks.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------Bet the rent!! (Don't bet the rent.)
Floyd is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #4825
Floyd
Registered User
 
Floyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 486
Here's the Best~5 Consensus for Oaklawn today:

1-, ,

2-, ,

3-, ,

4-, ,

5-, ,

6-, ,

7-, ,

8-, ,

9-, ,

Good luck!
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------Bet the rent!! (Don't bet the rent.)
Floyd is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #4826
FakeNameChanged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Here's the Best~5 Consensus for Oaklawn today:

1-, ,

2-, ,

3-, ,

4-, ,

5-, ,

6-, ,

7-, ,

8-, ,

9-, ,

Good luck!
Floyd, what is the success rate for #1 picks, vs. #2 and #3 picks? Greg certainly puts out a reasonably priced software, and people can custom design it any way that suits their style of play.
__________________
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.
FakeNameChanged is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #4827
green80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton, La.
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Was anybody playing Oaklawn with me yesterday?

Best~5 Consensus was ON FIRE!

Picked the winner in every race.
Races 1,2,5,6,8 and 9 were the #1 picks.
Race 3 was the #2 pick
Race 4 & 7 were the #3 picks.
While impressive, you simply cannot play 3 in every race and come out ahead for very long. While the #1 pick did well yesterday, how did it do longer term.? You have to have a way to filter even the top pick, and bet it only when it meets other factors.

I tried just betting (all )the #1 picks last year at several tracks and it was not profitable after usually a couple of days or weeks. I still only bet the #1 pick but apply a little handicapping and usually wind up with only 2 or 3 per card worth a bet. This way it has been profitable.
green80 is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #4828
lefty359
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 604
Yes, I would like to know you decide which of the 3 picks to bet? Greenie you told me I should get best 5. Now I think I shoulda listened.
lefty359 is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #4829
green80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton, La.
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Yes, I would like to know you decide which of the 3 picks to bet? Greenie you told me I should get best 5. Now I think I shoulda listened.
I used to play it like this:

1st pick- play when >3/1

2nd pick- play when >6/1

3rd pick- play when>10/1
This makes easy playing with an ADW that lets you set the min odds @ x min to post. Just make your bets and forget it.

you can adjust the min odds a little, the idea is you have it when one of those big price horses are in the 3 consensus horses. As always, you just have to keep records to see what is working at your track. I had some wild bankroll swings playing this way. Caution: when the chalk is coming in a lot this won't work. For some reason this works better for the first few weeks of a meet.
green80 is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #4830
lefty359
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 604
greenie, good info. thanks.
lefty359 is offline  
Closed Thread




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.