Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
Pace Cap'n

Just as long as they don't change the saddlecloths...
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #17
Buddha
Aspiring Pace Capper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED
I, myself, am not crazy about 2days. A lot of people work friday afternoons too. They could easilly make a whole day of it saturday.
I agree, I would rather see 1 HUGE day rather than 2 big days

http://www.myspace.com/j_rod99
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #18
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
It's about time they added a filly and mare sprint. Very few fillies and mares can sprint with the big boys (exceptions, of course, include Safely Kept and Xtra Heat).
Don't forget Very Subtle. Back in those days some tracks had their own pools. I had Very Subtle at over 20/1. I was the only person at EVD who was NOT yelling for Groovy.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #19
jma

I think the two days could work, but not over a Friday/Saturday. They're trying to get crowds like Kentucky Oaks Day does the Friday before the Derby, but it's a different time of year. However, the Breeders Cup already draws crowds and handle and is the only racing event that can be really be "expanded", so I can see why they would try it. In the future I could see 12 or 14 BC races spread out over Saturday and Sunday. It might lead to two days of $90 million handle each over one day of $120 million. If that doesn't happen, they can always go back to one day.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #20
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I think the Friday before would outdraw the NFL Sunday the day after.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #21
ryesteve

Here's a crazy idea: keep the one day format, but run the races at 2 venues, Ohio-style. Sure, the horsemen will hate it, since they can't be in two places at once, but let's face it... if the races were 15 minutes apart instead of 30, it'd be a big step forward in maintaining the interest level of the viewing audience and betting publc that they're trying to cultivate. In my mind, that's more important than kowtowing to Todd Pletcher's desire to saddle all of his 27 entries personally.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #22
njcurveball

I think they are modeling this after the Kentucky Oaks/Derby where they get huge crowds on Friday. There is no way they are going against the NFL.

It is a bit much with almost an hour between races. That is a good reason to try to get another venue involved. Even a half hour between races would seem shorter with the current format.

Jim
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #23
kenwoodallpromos

15 Minutes Of Fame Maiden BC Stakes sponsored by Polaroid!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
Here's a crazy idea: keep the one day format, but run the races at 2 venues, Ohio-style. Sure, the horsemen will hate it, since they can't be in two places at once, but let's face it... if the races were 15 minutes apart instead of 30, it'd be a big step forward in maintaining the interest level of the viewing audience and betting publc that they're trying to cultivate. In my mind, that's more important than kowtowing to Todd Pletcher's desire to saddle all of his 27 entries personally.
____
Seriously, fear is polls would not be as big. How about Friday Nite?
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #24
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
____
Seriously, fear is polls would not be as big. How about Friday Nite?
Can't... Nanny 911 is on.
Seriously though, people can adapt to having 15 fewer minutes to bet. And if not, where do you draw the line? Why cut it off at only 30 minutes? If there were 2 hours between races, you'd probably get a few more bucks into the pool too.
Also, the shortterm sacrifice of some money in the pool on a given race might be worth it if the revamped timing kept the TV ratings higher and kept more people interested longer.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #25
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Seriously though, people can adapt to having 15 fewer minutes to bet. And if not, where do you draw the line? Why cut it off at only 30 minutes? If there were 2 hours between races, you'd probably get a few more bucks into the pool too.
Also, the shortterm sacrifice of some money in the pool on a given race might be worth it if the revamped timing kept the TV ratings higher and kept more people interested longer.
I disagree if televised on cable exclusively.

Hell, I'll even give up "Law and Order."
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #26
kenwoodallpromos

Talked into it!

Quote:
______OK. I agree- but how about 1 venue and alternate dirt (or rubber) and turf on the same track?
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #27
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
I disagree if televised on cable exclusively.
Explain. Regardless of who televises it, don't higher ratings always mean they can sell the broadcast rates for a higher price? And if more people stick around longer, doesn't that mean more money in the pools in the later races? Why does any of this depends on what channel it's on?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #28
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
______OK. I agree- but how about 1 venue and alternate dirt (or rubber) and turf on the same track?
I don't think it's the surface the race is being run on that keeps the interval from being 15 minutes... it's the logistics of getting all the horses and jockeys suited up and on and off the track quickly enough, without running into bottlenecks in the paddock and holding areas.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #29
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
I don't think it's the surface the race is being run on that keeps the interval from being 15 minutes... it's the logistics of getting all the horses and jockeys suited up and on and off the track quickly enough, without running into bottlenecks in the paddock and holding areas.
I believe the time between races facilitates the building of the wagering pools to record levels. Even with one hour between races I see many folks being shut out on BC day due to reasons besides they were not ready to bet.

The problem with racing coverage being available only on a cable network is that not everyone uses cablevision services. You eliminate more than half of the available TV sets when you only serve cable subscribers.

Murph
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #30
dutzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
The problem with racing coverage being available only on a cable network is that not everyone uses cablevision services. You eliminate more than half of the available TV sets when you only serve cable subscribers.

Murph

Co-Sign!!!
dutzman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: