Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
thespaah

Jackson mum on where Rachel runs next

From the Albany Times Union...
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...009&TextPage=1
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
That's a big surprise, gotta find something where she can't lose.

jdl
jonnielu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnielu
That's a big surprise, gotta find something where she can't lose.

jdl
Oh, so you mean he's got so many choices he can't narrow them down.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
ghostyapper

For an all time great they are very secretive with her campaign. Definitely not a "come and get me" attitude.
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
Oh, so you mean he's got so many choices he can't narrow them down.
Travers, PA Derby and Woodward
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Java Gold@TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Travers, PA Derby and Woodward
And the Personal Ensign. The only two potential contenders in the Travers she hasn't already proven she can beat are Quality Road and Kensei. Jess is a smart business man as well as a competitor but if I was him and I could get a G-I win in the Traves for a potential stallion i would definitely run him and not let her be the one to beat him. She's already won 2 G-I's against 3yo males so why not branch out to G-I wins against older mares at 10F (a lot of people's other bitching point) or even better beat older males in a G-I that no female has ever won?
Java Gold@TFT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Gold@TFT
And the Personal Ensign. The only two potential contenders in the Travers she hasn't already proven she can beat are Quality Road and Kensei. Jess is a smart business man as well as a competitor but if I was him and I could get a G-I win in the Traves for a potential stallion i would definitely run him and not let her be the one to beat him. She's already won 2 G-I's against 3yo males so why not branch out to G-I wins against older mares at 10F (a lot of people's other bitching point) or even better beat older males in a G-I that no female has ever won?
Well, as long as he doesn't actually risk losing. Tough to do at 10f.

jdl
jonnielu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Java Gold@TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnielu
Well, as long as he doesn't actually risk losing. Tough to do at 10f.

jdl
Yep, Jess never risks losing. He knew that the beasts in the Preakness and Haskell had no chance of beating her so that's why he sent her in those races too. If you reread my post I said that the risk of losing was on Kensei's end of the bargain if she runs. Why risk him losing a prestigious race like the Travers to a girl when she has already beaten up on the best that have come to her so far? Kensei, G-I at 10F = big dollars at the stud farm. Rachel - been there, done that, bring on something new. She will meet up with Quality Road some day. It just doesn't have to be the 29th. Unless of course he retires to stud before the Donn next winter.
Java Gold@TFT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Hanover1

Rachels puzzle.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Gold@TFT
Yep, Jess never risks losing. He knew that the beasts in the Preakness and Haskell had no chance of beating her so that's why he sent her in those races too. If you reread my post I said that the risk of losing was on Kensei's end of the bargain if she runs. Why risk him losing a prestigious race like the Travers to a girl when she has already beaten up on the best that have come to her so far? Kensei, G-I at 10F = big dollars at the stud farm. Rachel - been there, done that, bring on something new. She will meet up with Quality Road some day. It just doesn't have to be the 29th. Unless of course he retires to stud before the Donn next winter.
Perhaps the secretive manner in wich she is being brought along at this time involves what we all are aware of. Jessies girl is vulnerable at 10f against colts. At least thats the perception I see out there, and Jess is aware of this as well as Stevie Wonderboy. I think Jess is torn between a personal intent to display greatness, and some forms of reality are in the way. Amongst a ton of critics, I would opt for G1 against females next outing, unless his beancounters can build a case for older males, wich seems like next choice here. We all want to see the Travers, however, and its the gutsy call of the three.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Black Ruby

or he might just enjoy messing with the other guys, let them sit around stewing and fretting on where they can go to avoid her.
Black Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
Perhaps the secretive manner in wich she is being brought along at this time involves what we all are aware of. Jessies girl is vulnerable at 10f against colts. At least thats the perception I see out there, and Jess is aware of this as well as Stevie Wonderboy. I think Jess is torn between a personal intent to display greatness, and some forms of reality are in the way. Amongst a ton of critics, I would opt for G1 against females next outing, unless his beancounters can build a case for older males, wich seems like next choice here. We all want to see the Travers, however, and its the gutsy call of the three.
Rachel Alexamdra will have NO problem with 10 furlongs against colts. People were questioning Secretariat's ability to get a mile and a quarter before the 1973 Kentucky Derby. We saw how that turned out.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Black Ruby

If RA has a problem, it may yet prove to be Calvin.
Black Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
ghostyapper

It is hilarious how the rachel crowd can talk out both sides of their mouth. On the one hand they have no doubt she can get 10 furlongs or further. On the other hand very time a race further than 9 furlongs comes up they want her to pass on it for a 9 furlong race because "she has nothing left to prove"

When it came to the belmont they said she had nothing left to prove and she would beat colts in the travers. Now she shouldn't run in the travers because she's already beaten colts so she should beat older horses at 9 furlongs.

If I were that confident in rachel getting the distance I would want her to prove it on the track not duck the race with some lame excuse about how she already proved this or that.
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyapper
It is hilarious how the rachel crowd can talk out both sides of their mouth. On the one hand they have no doubt she can get 10 furlongs or further. On the other hand very time a race further than 9 furlongs comes up they want her to pass on it for a 9 furlong race because "she has nothing left to prove"

When it came to the belmont they said she had nothing left to prove and she would beat colts in the travers. Now she shouldn't run in the travers because she's already beaten colts so she should beat older horses at 9 furlongs.

If I were that confident in rachel getting the distance I would want her to prove it on the track not duck the race with some lame excuse about how she already proved this or that.
OK I want Rachel Alexandra to run in the Travers. I'll tell Jess when I see him
Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
Hanover1

RA next outing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Rachel Alexamdra will have NO problem with 10 furlongs against colts. People were questioning Secretariat's ability to get a mile and a quarter before the 1973 Kentucky Derby. We saw how that turned out.
PA Derby imo is duckin.....G1 against females is breeze...older males would figure if conflict of interest keeps her out of Travers (or QR does...lol). There are always things in background going on that often dont come to light based on a need to know, as well. We could start another thread on that aspect alone....
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: