Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Trust me...the last thing those who "run the world" want...is something that will extend the lifespan of human beings.

Imagine what would happen if people started living significantly longer. Imagine the problems that would create.

If anything...they need the opposite to happen.
Unless of course, those human beings are those who run the world.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #17
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
So instead of dying of cancer at 80, I'll get to die of dementia at 82. HUGE win. Just as cancer was not as prevalent in the old days because people didn't live long enough to develop cancer, so too will less cancer cause an increase in other forms of dying. Our bodies only have so long before systematic breakdowns occur.
What if your longevity is something that is tied to reproduction and hard work? That if you are the type that does very little and has not been big in the family things will become rather dim for sticking around? There are those who work the farm, smoke non filter cigarettes, drink whiskey, and eat eggs and bacon every day that live to 100. What is up with that?
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #18
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
Appreciate the thread 46. I have ordered The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. I 2 am fighting (Stage 1) right now and want to learn more. FYI This is my second go round and it's a bitch; mentally I'm good so I figure the rest will take care of its' self.
I wish you the best. Prayers in your recovery.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Trust me...the last thing those who "run the world" want...is something that will extend the lifespan of human beings.

Imagine what would happen if people started living significantly longer. Imagine the problems that would create.

However, they do want the discoveries but will (logically) limit accessibility to themselves.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #20
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
So instead of dying of cancer at 80, I'll get to die of dementia at 82. HUGE win. Just as cancer was not as prevalent in the old days because people didn't live long enough to develop cancer, so too will less cancer cause an increase in other forms of dying. Our bodies only have so long before systematic breakdowns occur.
Actually, that is what is addressed in the article.

For the last 5 years I have been studying stuff like this.

As a hypnotherapist, I'm a strong believer in my own craft.
(Note that my application is only my own self-hypnosis.)

About 18 months ago, I began a regimen of sleep hypnosis. (Well, to be fair, I've been doing it for years, but changed it somewhat about 18 months ago.)

During 2020, my exercise was seriously curtailed due to a back problem. I did not realize until late in the year that I had lost 43 pounds. (I did notice that I'd lost 6 pants sizes. LOL)

My blood pressure also lowered.
(Without medication, my current normal is 114/76.)

Also, I have had a mild skin condition (caused by autoimmune issues). This has all but disappeared in the last 6 months. My dermatologist was literally shocked when I saw her last week.

Of course, this is all anecdotal and proves nothing.

However, my belief is that there is a strong mind-body connection. No idea how much difference it can make or is it just a placebo. Frankly, I don't care.

BTW, about 2 months ago I began working on healing my thymosin levels. (Whatever the heck that means. LOL)

Honestly, I have no clue if this stuff has any value, but I do find it interesting that some of my... conditions... have improved.

[edit]
PS: My brain functions have improved to an almost off-the-scale level. (Relative to my history.) Forgetfulness is a thing of the past.
For a guy of 70, this makes me amazingly hopeful.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 03-07-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #21
bobbyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I wish you the best. Prayers in your recovery.
Thank you Chris.

ps: Looking forward to a return trip to Ketchikan - my wife and I love that area.
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #22
bobbyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Actually, that is what is addressed in the article.

For the last 5 years I have been studying stuff like this.

As a hypnotherapist, I'm a strong believer in my own craft.
(Note that my application is only my own self-hypnosis.)

About 18 months ago, I began a regimen of sleep hypnosis. (Well, to be fair, I've been doing it for years, but changed it somewhat about 18 months ago.)

During 2020, my exercise was seriously curtailed due to a back problem. I did not realize until late in the year that I had lost 43 pounds. (I did notice that I'd lost 6 pants sizes. LOL)

My blood pressure also lowered.
(Without medication, my current normal is 114/76.)

Also, I have had a mild skin condition (caused by autoimmune issues). This has all but disappeared in the last 6 months. My dermatologist was literally shocked when I saw her last week.

Of course, this is all anecdotal and proves nothing.

However, my belief is that there is a strong mind-body connection. No idea how much difference it can make or is it just a placebo. Frankly, I don't care.

BTW, about 2 months ago I began working on healing my thymosin levels. (Whatever the heck that means. LOL)

Honestly, I have no clue if this stuff has any value, but I do find it interesting that some of my... conditions... have improved.

[edit]
PS: My brain functions have improved to an almost off-the-scale level. (Relative to my history.) Forgetfulness is a thing of the past.
For a guy of 70, this makes me amazingly hopeful.
Dave, I believe your on the right path - a strong mind-body connection. Acceptance and forward thinking are very strong keys of mind over matter imo. All the best Dave.
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #23
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
Thank you Chris.

ps: Looking forward to a return trip to Ketchikan - my wife and I love that area.

Only been there once. My wife wanted to pack up and move there.

BTW...
Thank you for the kind words.
(I imagine most think this stuff is nuts. LOL)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #24
thaskalos

It's disheartening to hear cancer professionals say that the best way of treating cancer is to shrink the tumors enough so they can be removed by surgery. The tumor is only a SYMPTOM of the disease...not the entire disease itself. You don't cure the disease by surgically removing the "symptom". You cure the disease by properly dealing with the underlying condition which allowed the tumor to develop in the first place.

The widely accepted cancer treatments of today may be lengthening the patient's life somewhat...but they sure aren't curing him/her, IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-07-2021 at 03:43 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Hello COVID-19(84)
Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #26
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It's disheartening to hear cancer professionals say that the best way of treating cancer is to shrink the tumors enough so they can be removed by surgery. The tumor is only a SYMPTOM of the disease...not the entire disease itself. You don't cure the disease by surgically removing the "symptom". You cure the disease by properly dealing with the underlying condition which allowed the tumor to develop in the first place.

The widely accepted cancer treatments of today may be lengthening the patient's life somewhat...but they sure aren't curing him/her, IMO.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #27
maddog42

For those types of cancers that have a strong genetic association, there is a lot of hope. The CRISPR gene editing technology will cure some of these. Crispr stands for Clustered regularly interspaced short Palindromic Repeats. The cas-9 method of accurately editing various vulnerable genetic tendencies will change treatment of some cancers.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #28
maddog42

The CRISPR gene editing companies have taken a big hit recently with promising treatment of sickle cell anemia seemingly causing leukemia in one or two test subjects. This treatment was so promising that some severe cases of sickle cell were no longer going in for their weekly transfusions. A few had not needed a transfusion for months. But then a couple of subjects (out of hundreds) got sick from 2 different blood diseases.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #29
maddog42

https://www.genengnews.com/news/afte...e-cell-trials/
Old 03-07-2021, 11:16 PM   #30
46zilzal
velocitician

All this epigenetic discovery is going to FURTHER blow a hole in all the pedigree analysis...Random distribution of genes at the outset during meiosis, and now a widespread NEW level of complexity (genetic control of gene expression from environmental factors) will make long term predictive prognosis of what offspring get what from whom.