Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-18-2002, 11:18 AM   #1
John

More on Dick Mitchell

This past weekend at the track I finally got to talk to a guy that does pretty well. The bottom line guys is: Dick Mitchell in the early 90's put out a manual data software called " Speed Handicapper"were you keyed in the racing form information that the program asked. Over the years this Guy has become selective in his choice of contenders so he does not have to enter all horses. He also claims that the old people back in the 90's Gordon Pines and Steve Unite have told him that is the best program that Cynthia put out. The manuel version only.

Any body have it and is it as good as one guy says it is.

Lefty, If you have a copy for sale I might be interested in purchasing.
John is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2002, 12:06 PM   #2
Lefty

Barely remember Speed Handicapper, but do know this: It and Fastcapper, Easycapper, Allinone all rely on pars to adjust trk to trk etc. They all basically ask the same questions except Easycapper has a few more bells and whistles than Fastcapper and Allinone has more bells and whistles than all.
They no longer sell Speed handicapper but Fastcapper pretty much same thing i'd wager. You can use Fastcapper manually or with HDW data. I have an old 99 ver. w/ 99 pars. They sell a new one every yr for $100 w/uptodate pars.
If you want an old 99 par one you can have it $25.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2002, 12:46 PM   #3
so.cal.fan

Rocajack:
Steve Unite is not "old", I don't know Gordon Pine, except by reputation, but Steve is a real young man.
I was interested in something Steve was promoting a few years back,
Jim Cramer's Running Style Position theories.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
andicap

Gordon isn't old either. I'd guess about 40 now at the oldest, probably a bit younger.

Dick Mitchell liked to hire people real young -- you don't have to pay them that much. Hell when I was 24 I would have worked those jobs for minimum wage.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:12 PM   #5
John

Sorry guys , when I said " old " I was refering to fact that they are no longer with Cynthia. I think ,not sure.

Lefty, When i get to the track I will ask this guy if fastcapper is the same.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:22 PM   #6
kitts

Steve Unite is in his 30s. Gordon Pine might be 40. We all three worked together at Cynthia Publishing in the 90s. And Fastcapper is a software program relying heavily on electronic pars. All of the Cynthia programs from the 90s utilized pars. All-In-One also utilized track models and handicapping models.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2002, 04:12 PM   #7
Rick

Dick Mitchell must, however, be "old". Heck, you're all "young" to me.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2002, 04:20 PM   #8
John

Kitts

So nice of you to reply.So Fastcapper and Speed
Handicapper are on the same idea.

Kitts, If I remember right reading a letter that Dick put out .You were heavily in to SHOW betting which is hard for tjis board members to swallow.

By the way Kitts, what ever happen to that guy "Ambrose" that Dick loved to talk about .

Thanks again for the post
Old 03-18-2002, 11:33 PM   #9
kitts

Fastcapper and Speed Handicapper are essentially the same thing-a par time handicapper. Dick is probably 55 or so and he teaches math in Arizona. I am 67 and still kicking. Dick publicized my trips to Vegas and mentioned my Place betting plan which is a no-brainer. Ron Ambrose is probably still alive and kicking-I last saw him in Laughlin, NV around 1997. There was a complete writeup on him in a old issue of Barry Meadow's newsletter. Good luck to us all and keep the faith!

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
Old 03-19-2002, 10:46 AM   #10
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

From kitts:
Quote:
Dick is probably 55 or so and he teaches math in Arizona.
Comments: I would bet on the "or so"! Do you know what grade levels he teaches to? In other words, can we expect a new crop of speed handicappers to emerge in AZ in the near future?

Is your PLACE betting approach the one where you bet the fav if it is at least so many odd's increments removed from the 2nd fav?

I remember Ambrose using that approach.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:18 AM   #11
andicap

Yeah, "or so."
I remember seeing Dick's picture on the book jackets....and I thought they made Ray Taulbot look young! At least, Dick's still alive, though.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:30 PM   #12
John

Kitts
After reading your post I dug out the copy of "Blue Chip Strategis" letter dated February 1992. I love the advice and warning you gave when you said ,"Make damm sure that you are dealing with a "legitinate favorite" and not some Bozo horse that has the public beguiled" I remembered the above and saved many a bet on false favorites

Your play went on a 4-5 level horse to place. if it met the above and mostly in Maiden races. Are you still betting this way.

Kitts, you stated in your post that it was a no- brainer. I think not.You had to seek out these plays and then Handicap the race .Wait to post time to get the level you wanted and then rush to the window not to get shut out. You did your job.

Kitts, if you have improved on the above in the last few years I would be interested to know. I can e-mail you if you wish.

Thanks again for posting

rockajack
Old 03-19-2002, 02:04 PM   #13
kitts

Mitchell, I am told, is teaching high school math and is pretty much out of the horse thing. The Place betting approach that I gleaned from Ron Ambrose can be played as a no-brainer but works better if one has handicapped the race. The rules were the favorite to place if he was 5 betting levels or more over the 2nd choice, indicating a strong public choice. Then bet that horse to place IF he is 6/5 or higher to get close to a $3.60 to $4.00 payoff. I only use this play for entertainment now. When I was using it I got close to 80% hit rate so I made money.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
Old 03-19-2002, 02:40 PM   #14
John

Kitts Thank you

I am sure all on the board appreciate you coming.on and sharing your way with us.....Right guys!!!
Old 03-19-2002, 03:56 PM   #15
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Welcome kitts....keep talkin' bro!