Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-04-2021, 02:54 AM   #16
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Donovon View Post
They can “place” it anywhere they want.
So you admit they place it....

Or the next post ....it’s not a line just an artificial guide ? And they can also put that line only as a guide wherever they want. Right ?

Why is it in speed skating and cross country skiing that they have such precise ways to determine the finish, while racing is in the dark ages ?
Why do you continue to obsess over the line on the photo?

It's meaningless.

The photo is the finish line. Where the horse are positioned in the photo, is the exact finish of the race. It's that simple.

Thus, whether you can easily see who is in front in the photo with just your eye....OR you need to zoom in....OR you need a "line" to help tell whose nose is in front...none of these things really matter.

Those are just means to CLARIFY what is shown in the picture...which IS the actual moment in time when that horse hits the finish of the race.

They could use a finish "walking cane" for all I care, if it helps them clarify whose nose is in front in the picture.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-04-2021 at 02:55 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 02:58 AM   #17
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Technology has made this method of determining the winner obsolete. Can you not see that ? Do you really think the 5 beat the 6 ? Will you acknowledge there is a problem here ?
Ray Donovon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #18
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I might have voted for Dead Heat if I had been in the booth.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #19
RunDustyRun

What was even stranger was how the jockey on the seemingly stopped riding once he passed the ....made sense when they said this was Gallardo's 2000th....very shady all around
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #20
wisconsin

Quote:
Technology has made this method of determining the winner obsolete. Can you not see that ? Do you really think the 5 beat the 6 ? Will you acknowledge there is a problem here ?

Based on the phot finish image, absolutely. Tell me why the is not in front of the
Old 02-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #21
NikeUnlimited

Conspiracy Theory, but they gave it to the 5 so Gallardo could get his 2000th win. I had him, but no way the 5 was ever in front of the 6 in deep stretch.
NikeUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #22
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDustyRun View Post
What was even stranger was how the jockey on the seemingly stopped riding once he passed the ....made sense when they said this was Gallardo's 2000th....very shady all around
See, this is where I think people just see what they want to see. Batista on the 6 is whipping in deep stretch less than 50 yards from the wire, and he's moving his hands just as much as Gallardo on the 5. He certainly doesn't stop riding.

But then the other part about Gallardo's 2000th...so in your mind they were fixing the race for Gallardo, and the plan was not to let Gallardo clearly win, but to have another rider urge his horse hard to get past Gallardo's near the wire, but then let Gallardo come back in what would have to be perfectly timed execution for the win? Does that make sense to you?

With that said, the camera went right to the 5 after the wire, so obviously someone there thought the 5 won it. Grunder was confused but in this case I don't blame him because to the naked eye it looked like the 6 or a dead heat.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It doesn't matter where they put it. It doesn't change the position of the horses in the picture.

The line simply helps you tell which horse's nose is IN FRONT.

The line is artificial...doesn't matter...it's not the finish line.

THE PHOTO ITSELF

IS

THE FINISH LINE
Yea, and the is slightly in front in the photo. Nearly a dead-heat.

Was distracted when initially watching it, and it appeared that the had won.

w/ Benefit of the photo, and of actually watching the replay of the finish and gallop-out, I have absolutely no case against the decision that the won.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I haven't even looked at the photo. I'm not arguing that point.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #25
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I haven't even looked at the photo. I'm not arguing that point.
You're arguing with a guy who still thinks Songbird won the BC Distaff.

Oddly sounds familiar:-)
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #26
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You're arguing with a guy who still thinks Songbird won the BC Distaff.

Oddly sounds familiar:-)
You still haven’t produced a mirror image.....anyone who watched the replay can see Songbird won the bob.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
You still haven’t produced a mirror image.....anyone who watched the replay can see Songbird won the bob.
I watched it literally on the finish line in person with a bet on Beholder. Told my wife right away, "Go cash!" Angles can be deceiving.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #28
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
.....anyone who watched the replay can see Songbird won the bob.
Have to disagree with this.

There's an older thread about the Songbird vs. Beholder photo finish from 2016 here:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=134470

I actually took the time to contact the CHRB and asked them to explain why the NBC Sports replay footage showed Songbird getting her nose in front right at the wire while the photo finish camera showed Beholder winning the race.

Below is a cut and paste taken from the email reply I received from the CHRB and Bill O'Brien of the photo finish co. PLUSMIC USA in post #38 of the above mentioned thread:

Quote:
Re: Photo finish on Breeders'Cup Friday between Songbird and Beholder.

Jeff asks: "was the photo finish camera pointed at the center of the mirror or just to the right of the mirror?"

Answer: The photo finish camera was pointed at the center of the mirror.

Jeff asks: "...[is]camera... regularly checked for calibration...?"

Answer: The camera is mounted on the exact finish line as determined by survey and is visually checked throughout the race day.

Comment: NBC camera is probably twenty yards past the finish line. When a video camera is past the finish line it favors the inside horse; when a video camera is up from the finish line it favors the outside horse.

Technically speaking: The NBC camera is about 30 degrees beyond the plane of the finish line.

Bill O'Brien / President

PLUSMIC USA
It turns out the NBC camera was positioned approximately 20 yards past the finish line - creating an approximate 30 degree angle between it and the center of the mirror.

That explains to my satisfaction why NBC's replay footage showed Songbird winning while the official win photo showed Beholder as the winner.

The one thing I wish every track would do is position their slow motion replay camera at an exact 90 degree angle to the center of the mirror (even if they have to locate the replay camera on the infield side of the course so as not to interfere with the photo finish camera.)

Carry on.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 02-04-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #29
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Have to disagree with this.

There's an older thread about the Songbird vs. Beholder photo finish from 2016 here:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=134470

I actually took the time to contact the CHRB and asked them to explain why the NBC Sports replay footage showed Songbird getting her nose in front right at the wire while the photo finish camera showed Beholder winning the race.

Below is a cut and paste taken from the email reply I received from the CHRB and Bill O'Brien of the photo finish co. PLUSMIC USA in post #38 of the above mentioned thread:

It turns out the NBC camera was positioned approximately 20 yards past the finish line - creating an approximate 30 degree angle between it and the center of the mirror.

That explains to my satisfaction why NBC's replay footage showed Songbird winning while the official win photo showed Beholder as the winner.

The one thing I wish every track would do is position their slow motion replay camera at an exact 90 degree angle to the center of the mirror (even if they have to locate the replay camera on the infield side of the course so as not to interfere with the photo finish camera.)

Carry on.

-jp

So you are saying NBC replay footage showed Songbird winning...
Old 02-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
So you are saying NBC replay footage showed Songbird winning...
Nope, he is saying it showed an illusion that made it appear Songbird won.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: