Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
PIC6SIX

RAFAEL BEJARANO 2//48

Can anyone tell me why BJ's win numbers have hit rock bottom? He and Rosario used to be the leaders. Fell out of favor with trainers, personal issues, substance issues or whatever???
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
ultracapper

It's frustrating because he was really at the top, and there were times when he was magic in tight races at the wire. But I have always wondered about some of the choices he and (I assume) his agent made when they had what appeared to be multiple choices in a field. He had what seemed like a fabulous relationship with Carla Gaines' barn and then just started going to other horses when she was expecting him to ride for her. She even was quoted as saying she considered him the barn's go to jock and without any kind of warning or discussion, or anything, he just quit taking her horses.

It's something I've been wondering about for a number of months now, because he is no where near what he was just a couple years ago.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
airford1

No Horses, Ron Anderson has always had the ability to come in and take the good mounts . Baffert has his Favorite riders and when he got hurt this last two times his agent isn't able to him back on top. Food for thought when was the last time we saw him on a top 3yo prospect? I have seen him get stuck saving ground and lose a lot of races and in the some cases recently he has gotten the reputation of forcing his way out like a Paco Lopez and that may have lost some opportunities. Just the way I see it.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
GMB@BP

No idea why he is 2/48. The Arrogate situation did not help his career.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
luisbe

Bejarano never was selected for top horses on very important races compared with other jockeys.
Talamo hasn't been either despite being consider a top rider when he disembarked in Cal.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
NikeUnlimited

I think injuries have played a part. He's gotten a few wrist injuries the past few years. I also think him getting a new agent in 2015 has affected the quality of horses he gets. His agent used to be Joe Ferrer who retired, and I think his current agent just isn't as good.

I see jockeys like van dyke get quality mounts, when he isn't good at all (look at him in the stretch in any race, he isn't a strong finisher at all, the horse carries him every time).

It makes me think that jockey agent is more important than jockey talent in terms of getting the best mounts.
NikeUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
pandy

Bejarano has had a terrific career in So. Cal when you factor in the Baffert effect, Baffert rarely used him and yet he was a top jockey for years. Hopefully this is just a slump.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeUnlimited View Post
I think injuries have played a part. He's gotten a few wrist injuries the past few years. I also think him getting a new agent in 2015 has affected the quality of horses he gets. His agent used to be Joe Ferrer who retired, and I think his current agent just isn't as good.

I see jockeys like van dyke get quality mounts, when he isn't good at all (look at him in the stretch in any race, he isn't a strong finisher at all, the horse carries him every time).

It makes me think that jockey agent is more important than jockey talent in terms of getting the best mounts.
Yes the Agent is important. Nick Cosato would take a new jock and get them to the top meaning meet leading ride, but struggled to get the top horses for them. Tough game. Rafa has game left in him.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply