Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Welcome new sponsor, JCapper.com

Ya'll know Jeff P by now....he's been around here for a long time, and has silently crept into the top 10 leaders of the Premier Turf Club Handicapping Challenge currently going on at P.A. Downs.

Jeff and his software JCapper are now authorized advertisers on PaceAdvantage.com.

If you are so inclined, you can learn more at the following link:

www.jcapper.com
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Niko

I thought Jeff had stopped selling Jcapper due to odds being affected?
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I did. The original program had a factor in it called the JRating that isn't available any more. For complete info go to the http://www.jcapper.com site and click on the FAQs link on the left hand side of the page.

The new program is more robust than the original and contains an improved factor set over what was available in the original program.

The biggest innovation in JCapper2007 is User Defined Power Rating or UPR.

Users are given an interface that allows them to create their own custom power rating. The interface allows users to name what factors go into their UPR and also allows users to weight their chosen factors as they see fit. UPR can also be made distance, surface, and class specific. IOW, one turn stakes and allowance mile races at Belmont can be handled one way while UPR for claiming dirt sprints at Emerald Downs can be driven by a completely different set of factors and weights.

The user who is willing to make the effort will find they really can create a custom power rating and odds line that is really frigging good. Strong statement, I know... but the top ranked UPR horse for me is almost flat bet break even in the win pool. A handful of other users who have made similar efforts in creating UPR have posted similar experiences on my message board.

I don't want to give off the idea though that this is easy. Creating a strong UPR takes a thorough understanding of the JCapper factor set. It also takes lots of work.

At least until you reach a point where you are happy with your UPR, you will constantly be tinkering with your factor mix and weights and rebuilding and querying databases to see the effects of your changes. But the toolset is there... The user player who makes the real effort WILL get what he or she is after: a UPR that is really frigging good.

The really cool thing about this is that the UPR itself is unique to and is seen only by the individual user player who created it. As a JCapper user, if I've done my homework I should be the only one driving my own prices down.

-jp

Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Jaguar

J Capper

Folks, from a jaded old handicapper who has bought and discarded alot of horse software over the years, I have to say that there is a new Sheriff in town.

I was at OTB in New Haven a few months ago, when my friend, who owns the last copy sold of the original 100 JCapper issue, took the time to show me the program.

Although I was for years distinctly prejudiced against handicapping programs which do not operate via true artificial intelligence, I have been enlightened by J's rigorous methodology.

I have never met J, but my impression of him- derived from seeing his program at work- and from his website- is that he is very smart and very shrewd.

Because I am married and have gained 4 small grandchildren, I do not own JCapper. But, I may save up and buy it in the future.

May I add that my one, albeit small, "Knock" on the program is that J suggests training JCapper for maximum effectiveness. The program is powerful right out of the box so it may not be an issue for some people.

But, how many people have the time to train a software program?

All serious horse handicappers should take a look at J's website, if they haven't already.

Jaguar
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply