Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Travers Stakes
Arrogate 9 10.11%
American Freedom 14 15.73%
My Man Sam 3 3.37%
Governor Malibu 14 15.73%
Forever d'Oro 1 1.12%
Anaximandros 2 2.25%
Exaggerator 11 12.36%
Destin 4 4.49%
Gift Box 3 3.37%
Connect 4 4.49%
Majesto 1 1.12%
Creator 9 10.11%
Laoban 4 4.49%
Gun Runner 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. This poll is closed

Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
andtheyreoff

Travers Stakes

Exaggerator and American Freedom rematch after finishing 1-2 in the Haskell, plus the promising Curlin winner Connect, Jim Dandy winner Laoban, Belmont winner Creator, and many more! Who gets it done?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #2
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Travers PPS

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/brisw...99/summary.htm
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

This is a yawner.

There should a thread on the Personal Ensign instead. The winner of that race will deserve the G1 beside their name.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
This is a yawner.

There should a thread on the Personal Ensign instead. The winner of that race will deserve the G1 beside their name.
Oh please. Just at a glance I see the Preakness / Haskell winner and the Arkansas Derby / Belmont winner.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
This is a yawner.

Are you kidding? If this is a yawner, just about every race ever is a yawner.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If that is such a graet field, why aren't any of them taking on these po' slo' boys instead?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
If that is such a graet field, why aren't any of them taking on these po' slo' boys instead?
Huh? You want the older fillies from the Personal Ensign to run in the Travers?
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

From my own eyes, the horse that you supposed to bet on here is American freedom. He raced up close in a little bit why don't know how to pace he raced up close and a little bit wide on a hot pace pace.

From the Briss past performances, governor Malibu as the best last race. I don't agree with The Briss past performances. Governor Malibu seemed to want to suck up race and he passed Destin at the end pretty much exactly as forecasted. I'd like to see what time form says about the Haskell .

May be easier to read The race then this post. Voice to text is not my friend
Old 08-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Oh please. Just at a glance I see the Preakness / Haskell winner and the Arkansas Derby / Belmont winner.
Yep. 14 horses as well. Largest Travers field since '77.

See a lot of pace in here for a 10F race for 3YOs. Add in bad posts for Laoban and Gun Runner, and I feel pretty solid we'll get a legit if not hot pace. Would not be shocked to see either scratch.

If they stay in the field, are my win contenders. And if I can get the Belmont champ at 15/1, I can't get to the window fast enough.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
Are you kidding? If this is a yawner, just about every race ever is a yawner.
The Midsummer Derby it's not.

A good betting race, but not many colts in here who have been exciting to date. It's a down year in that division.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

A few thoughts…..

Exaggerator 3-1: The proverbial "horse to beat" but he’ll be "up against it" with his running style in a field of 14 on a fast track. That’s a lot of graded stakes winners he’ll have to pass. 5-1 on my board but won’t be near that, although it’s hard to see him not hitting the board. Use at the bottom of exa’s, tri’s and super’s.

American Freedom : Just don’t like Baffert’s record in this race. Sorry but in this era we handicap the trainer as well as the horse. A toss.

Destin 10-1 : Todd Pletcher’s only entrée has proven he can get the distance. Will be a nice value at 8-1. I’ll bite.

Gift Box 12-1 : Will need a perfect trip but if there’s the expected pace meltdown, I like the fact that he’s lightly-raced (only two races this year). I’ll bite.

Laoban 15-1: Just doesn’t like the track, which is not uncommon being the graveyard. Toss

Forever d’oro 30-1: Dallas Stewart, time and time again, comes out of nowhere with a no-chance that hits the board. I’ll bite.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
letswastemoney

Arrogate is probably going to be sent from the rail, and Laoban will still have blinkers on, so I have to think he'll be up close even though his trainer said he's not going to the lead.

American Freedom without blinkers will still be up there, but not necessarily on the lead. I think he will work out a trip, although I know he offers no value.

Destin's speed figures are high enough and he won't be on the lead. He could do it.

Out of the late closers, Exaggerator of course is logical, but Forever d'Oro could clunk his way into 3rd or 4th.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #13
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
Laoban 15-1: Just doesn’t like the track, which is not uncommon being the graveyard. Toss
You do know he won the Jim Dandy?
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
burnsy
self medicated

Its wet from the rain last night but all indications are for great weather starting today and through the weekend. Tons of activity, Kings Tavern crowd was out the door. Lawn chairs literally filled the side walk outside of the bar door. Horses are working on both tracks as usual but there is a buzz in the air.

Get ready to rumble, its Travers Eve!

Last edited by burnsy; 08-26-2016 at 08:58 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Everybody has one

Opinions:

Exaggerator = He's the only proven Grade 1 horse in the race. To beat him you need 1. A 'dud' race or 2. A nightmare trip or 3. A worse trip than a rival who steps up.

American Freedom = He ran about as well as Exaggerator in the Haskell. It wasn't obvious that AF was in the same grade as Exaggerator and Nyquist before the Haskell. If he can repeat that form, he's a Grade 1 horse. He'll have position forward of exaggerator, and will be higher odds. Sometimes the race is really that simple (sometimes it isn't).

Governer Malibu = A solid Grade 2 horse. He should be considered as a key horse in dime supers for positions 3 and 4. He'll be relatively underlaid in win and exacta wagers and will need a meltdown AND trouble for Exaggerator.

questions:
Arrogate = have to watch his replays and decide if he's 'serious'