Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
TrackManSam

Funniest race calls

Here is just a few I remember...

Larry Lederman (harness announcer from Freehold) was calling a race in a total blanket of fog, and just started goving out scores from the day in major league baseball. If you have never heard Larry Lederman, you must.

Harness Announcer from Hazel Park the other day after a spill exclaimed "we have a loose driver on the track, a loose driver"...I think the very next race was a field of five and he literally yawned at the half because no one was moving. This guy really makes a race entertaining and fun to listen too.

Michael Wrona's "staying like a mother in law" and "moving like a daughter with daddys credit card" are hilarious.

Larry Colmuss Said one day as they were coming down the stretch "and the chalk players are on their feet" as the favorite was drawing away. I would be interested to hear some others.
TrackManSam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

We had a horse named Mr. Frog at Finger Lakes, and one day Ross Morton clled the finish.."and that's Mr. Frog hopping into the place spot."g
Old 04-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Don't know if this qualifies as funny .. but it was amazing!

A few years back, on the turf at Belmont .. Tom Durkin had a tongue twister when a stretch battle to the wire developed between Kyunbokong & Congo Mombo .. and it was a masterful, mind-blowing call.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
Dan Montilion

Michael Wrona came with this while calling a very "green" runner at Bay Meadows... Stach Sr. has lost her compass and a bit later, Stach Sr. continues to run about she looks like a loose shopping cart.

In the last 20 years the suit and ties in no. Cal made one good decision and that was hiring Wrona. However, the clowns called managment riverted to form and gave Wrona the boot.

Dan Montilion
Dan Montilion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Where is Wrona now ?

ZAFONIC
Old 04-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #6
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafonic
Where is Wrona now ?

ZAFONIC
TUP (Unless Mirahmadi is back )
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Doc

Speaking of Larry Lederman...who has made so many hilarious, gut-busting racecalls that I can't remember all of them...one that does stand out occured during the last year at Garden State Park. The horse's name was in Italian and Lederman twisted it, turned it, and called it differently every time...the last call he shouted, "Oh, the heck with it!" I had tears in my eyes 'cause I was laughing so hard.

Each week Larry interjects a comment about the current American Idol situation...on Thursday, he yelled out during the stretch drive of the second race at Freehold, "And how much longer can Scott survive on American Idol?"

Also, there was a pacer named Sargent Carter running at Freehold and as he crossed the finish line in front, Lederman hollered, "Gol-leeee, it's Sar-gent Carter!" in the way Gomer Pyle used to say it. That was also hilarious.

Doc
Old 04-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
TrackManSam

Larry Lederman is one of a handful announcers that I can just listen too without even having a bet on the race. I think thats one of the may problems with horse racing today, these announcers are just so card board. No personality, no sense of humor, phony excitement. Hell, half of them don't even show any excitement. Two in particuler (Peter Galassi and Mike Battaglia) make it sound burdensome that there up there calling the races sometimes. We need some new faces, new names, new excitement. I have always been in favor of having an amatuer night at the races. Or, have an announcers elimination tournament with all the announcers in the country doing battle, or something.
TrackManSam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Yeah, it sucks that what makes Lederman so enjoyable, is precisely the same thing that makes him "unmarketable."
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Doc

And why not experiment with a woman announcer? I'd rather have a broad in the booth than the guy at Tampa Bay...or Battaglia.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #11
racingrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackManSam
Here is just a few I remember...

Larry Lederman (harness announcer from Freehold) was calling a race in a total blanket of fog, and just started goving out scores from the day in major league baseball. If you have never heard Larry Lederman, you must.

Harness Announcer from Hazel Park the other day after a spill exclaimed "we have a loose driver on the track, a loose driver"...I think the very next race was a field of five and he literally yawned at the half because no one was moving. This guy really makes a race entertaining and fun to listen too.

Michael Wrona's "staying like a mother in law" and "moving like a daughter with daddys credit card" are hilarious.

Larry Colmuss Said one day as they were coming down the stretch "and the chalk players are on their feet" as the favorite was drawing away. I would be interested to hear some others.

Their going slower than last weeks episodes of Days of Our Lives...

He's hanging like a cheap suit...

Showing more toe than a Roman sandle.

He spat out the dummy..

Last edited by racingrev; 04-16-2005 at 08:05 PM.
racingrev is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #12
Fred

Tom Durkin once said his toughest call was a horse named 'Slick City Shoes"

Freddy
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #13
Zaf
Pace Cappa

On the Harness Side, Jack E. Lee had a good sense of humor when he called races at Roosevelt Raceway.

ZAFONIC
Old 04-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #14
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Larry Lederman is the best. I can listen to him call races all day even when I'm not betting. I remember when he would say at Atlantic City: "Ooooooh baby, what a race. The fans are going berzerk, they're tearing out the chairs and hanging off the roof." I could actually imagine the fans doing that while he was calling! Lol.

The most clever line that I've heard was by Tom Durkin. One day around 1995 at Belmont Park, the starting gate malfunctioned just as the horses were about to load. So, they took the gate away by tractor and brought a second gate while the horses and jockeys waited at the starting point. As the gate was being brought up to the starting point, Tom said "And ladies and gentlemen, the starting gate...has reached the horses!" That was a good one.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #15
Lasix1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
The most clever line that I've heard was by Tom Durkin. One day around 1995 at Belmont Park, the starting gate malfunctioned just as the horses were about to load. So, they took the gate away by tractor and brought a second gate while the horses and jockeys waited at the starting point. As the gate was being brought up to the starting point, Tom said "And ladies and gentlemen, the starting gate...has reached the horses!" That was a good one.
Zman,that IS hilarious!
Lasix1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply