Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I remember that one.....

Marshall Cassidy at NYRA...he had a somewhat sloooow cadence to his calls, and one day, a horse named Tora Tora Tora and another one with three words the same, but I foget what, they hooked up out of the gate and ran one two around the track and Marshall was calling "Tor-a, Tor-a, Tor-a, x,x,x...by the time he got it all out, they were back in the barn!

One year, at Saratoga, we were with the Sartin group in the festivle tent that sets right at the paddock and the grandstand cross0ver, and they have this little booth in the paddock where they shoot the TV show and I was surprised to see that they had a statue of MC inside of it! When the first race horses came to the paddock, the "statue" started talking! It was the real MC, and he sat in there motionless for over an hour waiting-totally motioinless!
The first thing he said was,"Welcome to another exciting day of racing action!"
Old 04-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #17
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I remember that one.....

Marshall Cassidy at NYRA...he had a somewhat sloooow cadence to his calls, and one day, a horse named Tora Tora Tora and another one with three words the same, but I foget what, they hooked up out of the gate and ran one two around the track and Marshall was calling "Tor-a, Tor-a, Tor-a, x,x,x...by the time he got it all out, they were back in the barn!

One year, at Saratoga, we were with the Sartin group in the festivle tent that sets right at the paddock and the grandstand cross0ver, and they have this little booth in the paddock where they shoot the TV show and I was surprised to see that they had a statue of MC inside of it! When the first race horses came to the paddock, the "statue" started talking! It was the real MC, and he sat in there motionless for over an hour waiting-totally motioinless!
The first thing he said was,"Welcome to another exciting day of racing action!"
Tom would that other name be Toga Toga Toga?..I use to gallop her for J Hartigan owner in NY.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 12:40 AM   #18
JPinMaryland

Who is the guy at Sunland? I see the replays on wire to wire and I assume that is the track announcer we are hearing. Very nice call.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 12:52 AM   #19
racingrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
Who is the guy at Sunland? I see the replays on wire to wire and I assume that is the track announcer we are hearing. Very nice call.
Rob Geller...

He's an Aussie that calls at Emerald Downs as well.
Previously called in Hong Kong before heading to the States..
Old 05-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #20
Figman

On the Wednesday, May 4th card at Belmont Park, Marshall Cassidy will be calling a race.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #21
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Durkin was in classic form Saturday as the fog once again rolled into Aqueduct, I think in the 5th. He could see pretty well as they wend down the backstretch, but as the neared the turn, it just got a bit too thick. His cadence just slowed down til he finally just gave up and flat out said "I don't know.......". Got to love it.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #22
Valuist

OTM-

I heard him the other day. It was pretty funny. I'm amazed he was able to call as much of the race as he did.

I always thought Cassidy had some bizarre calls. They sounded a bit on the effiminate side. If Felix Unger would've been a race caller, I think he would've sounded like Cassidy.

Last edited by Valuist; 05-02-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #23
Lasix1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Durkin was in classic form Saturday as the fog once again rolled into Aqueduct, I think in the 5th. He could see pretty well as they wend down the backstretch, but as the neared the turn, it just got a bit too thick. His cadence just slowed down til he finally just gave up and flat out said "I don't know.......". Got to love it.
Yes, and in the 9th race, with the fog now even thicker, Durkin is still trying to do the impossible. He says drolly "I think that's the favorite 'Zim and Torre' in the lead and coming up second is, uh, uh,----ladies and gentlemen, this is a work of fiction."

One of the many reasons Tom will always be my favorite track announcer.

Last edited by Lasix1; 05-02-2005 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added word
Lasix1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #24
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Yeah, he probably was still right on as he gave it up. It just kills me those days when the fog is so bad, they just start the shot coming into the turn and all you can see is the big wall of grey. You can hear the gate open, but it takes about 30 seconds before the horses appear from the mist. "And they're off.....I think...." Can listen to the calls again at racereplays.com which you can register for for free through the NYRA sites.

Last edited by OTM Al; 05-02-2005 at 12:57 PM.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #25
Lasix1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Yeah, he probably was still right on as he gave it up. It just kills me those days when the fog is so bad, they just start the shot coming into the turn and all you can see is the big wall of grey. You can hear the gate open, but it takes about 30 seconds before the horses appear from the mist. "And they're off.....I think...."
It's even worse when you consider that the fog-cutting capabilities of the video equipment makes the track feed as good as it gets. Imagine the poor track announcer with nothing but a pair of binoculars....
Lasix1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #26
dilanesp

Wrona is extremely clever. He sneaks things in.

They just ran the 5th at Santa Rosa, and Imalocamotive made a big wide rally to win it.

"Here comes Imalocamotive, building a head of steam."

He thinks of this stuff on the spot.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #27
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Wrona is extremely clever. He sneaks things in.

They just ran the 5th at Santa Rosa, and Imalocamotive made a big wide rally to win it.

"Here comes Imalocamotive, building a head of steam."

He thinks of this stuff on the spot.
Please post within existing threads.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
Please post within existing threads.
I did!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #29
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I did!
I know!
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #30
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
I know!
I was so confused reading posts in this thread and was going to respond to them but noticed they were from 2005 and figure I arrived too late. Shut out.

Anyway

"and it's 1 with a narrow lead, followed by 2, 3, the 4 on the outside and...5, 6, 7...that's unusual" IIRC it was Woodbine and the horses were running in order for a good bit
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply