Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 AM   #106
Katewerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
They wanted to race, and they ended up beating Affirmed twice AND making a ton breeding.
It's 2018. Who plays the role of Affirmed?
Katewerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 AM   #107
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
wait, this is a joke right? Before my time and did not know this. What is the Jersey Derby?
No joke. Garden State offered a 2million bonus for any horse who won the Cherry Hill , Garden State Stakes, Ky Derby, and Jersey Derby. This bonus lured Spend a Buck out of the Preakness and into the GS Derby nine days after the Preakness on Memorial Day. Regular rider Angel Cordero was unable to ride Spend a Buck because of commitments to Track Baron in the Met Mile. Laffit Pincay picked up the mount. Spend a Buck won the thrilling race by a neck in a three horse battle.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #108
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Spend a Buck went in :45.20, 1:09.60, 1:34.80, 2:00.20 and Justify in :45.77, 1:11.01, 1:37.35, 2:04.20.
Totally different track speeds. Comparing raw times without a varient is lunacy.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #109
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katewerk View Post
It's 2018. Who plays the role of Affirmed?
What if there is another TC winner next year?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #110
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Totally different track speeds. Comparing raw times without a varient is lunacy.
Sure, but Spend a Buck's Derby was incredibly fast and was visually impressive- he got clear by 6 or 7 on the backstretch.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #111
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
No joke. Garden State offered a 2million bonus for any horse who won the Cherry Hill , Garden State Stakes, Ky Derby, and Jersey Derby. This bonus lured Spend a Buck out of the Preakness and into the GS Derby nine days after the Preakness on Memorial Day. Regular rider Angel Cordero was unable to ride Spend a Buck because of commitments to Track Baron in the Met Mile. Laffit Pincay picked up the mount. Spend a Buck won the thrilling race by a neck in a three horse battle.

Depsite the close finish Spend A Buck was miles the best that day. Creme Fraiche went on to win the Belmont in his next start.

Side note, I had no idea Howard Cosell did horse racing.

Last edited by cj; 07-31-2018 at 11:06 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #112
Katewerk

Quote:
What if there is another TC winner next year?
I picked this horse for my Derby choice after his first start. Nobody wanted to see him go on to race again more than I did.

But otoh, I'm old enough to remember when we were being told this was a "stallion making" crop -- and now they're just a buncha bums.

I don't know who Justify can meet and beat in the older horse ranks that enhances his resume at this point. It's all risk and little reward, especially given the injury and the very good chance of regression due to that.

Kind of like Secretariat after the Belmont. He continued to race, yes, but the triple crown was the peak of his racing achievement.
Katewerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #113
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katewerk View Post
I picked this horse for my Derby choice after his first start. Nobody wanted to see him go on to race again more than I did.

But otoh, I'm old enough to remember when we were being told this was a "stallion making" crop -- and now they're just a buncha bums.

I don't know who Justify can meet and beat in the older horse ranks that enhances his resume at this point. It's all risk and little reward, especially given the injury and the very good chance of regression due to that.

Kind of like Secretariat after the Belmont. He continued to race, yes, but the triple crown was the peak of his racing achievement.
Secretariat set some track and world records after the TC.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #114
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgtwbJk7auM

Depsite the close finish Spend A Buck was miles the best that day. Creme Fraiche went on to win the Belmont in his next start.

Side note, I had no idea Howard Cosell did horse racing.
Cosell was on ABC's Derby and Preakness telecasts for 10 years. Andy Beyer used to routinely complain about him not knowing anything.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #115
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Cosell was on ABC's Derby and Preakness telecasts for 10 years. Andy Beyer used to routinely complain about him not knowing anything.
I just started getting into racing during the early 80s, probably 83 or so. I remember Spend A Buck well. I didn't remember Cosell doing racing at all.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #116
GMB@BP

Quote:
I just started getting into racing during the early 80s, probably 83 or so. I remember Spend A Buck well. I didn't remember Cosell doing racing at all.
wasnt it Jim McKay on all the telecasts for ABC?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #117
dilanesp

Quote:
wasnt it Jim McKay on all the telecasts for ABC?
It was both for the first ten years. Cosell was a much bigger celebrity than McKay; he was like Bob Costas on NBC (who also insists on doing the TC despite knowing nothing about the sport), only bigger. When Cosell finally left ABC, they used Al Michaels, who did know the sport, in his place. McKay, of course, knew the sport very well.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #118
Mulerider

Quote:

Have to plug my home track a little (even though I live across the border in Texas)...

After winning the $350,000 Belmont Stakes, Creme Fraiche traveled to Louisiana Downs three months later and won the $500,000 Super Derby with Eddie Maple up. The next four successive winners were Wise Times, Alysheba, Seeking the Gold, and Sunday Silence. The Super Derby increased the purse to $1 million in 1987. I could be wrong but I think that was the first graded stakes to offer a $1 million purse.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #119
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
He didnt retire because of the ankle injury, he retired because he is worth 75 million dollars and has a slight ankle issue, that with time would have been fine, but everyone with half a brain does not risk 75 million dollars to run at 4.
He isn't worth $75m. That's just another case of how people inflate the supposed value of big horses. It's closer to $50m. In any event, your point furthers my case while at the same time avoiding my point that no one even asks what his supposed injury is and why he can't get a race in by Oct. They just take and print the excuse, just as they printed that the horse was "just great!" when he was limping on 3 legs.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #120
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
The point is they wanted to race, and they ended up beating Affirmed twice AND making a ton breeding.
No matter what Justify might do if he ran again, what significant difference do you thing it would make to his worth? What could they possibly gain from racing him again, as opposed to what could the lose by doing so?

Smart business decision.
Bad for us, but we aren't paying the bills.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: