Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 10-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #46
Endearus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
I had an old friend who worked for Merrill Lynch when they had those commercials that said, "We make money the old fashion way... we earn it"

His finish for that sentence was: "... We steal it."
Not Merrill. It was Paine Weber, with John Housman.
Endearus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #47
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endearus
Nope....Smith Barney was the company with the line, spoken by John Houseman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMRXqQXemU
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #48
pandy

Barney and Smith were separate brokerage firms started in the late 1800's and they merged in 1937. From what I've read, Smith Barney had a solid reputation as a more conservative firm but Citigroup (with Travelers) bought a controlling share of the company in 1998 and things went downhill fast. Citigroup, after several scandals, destroyed the reputation of Smith Barney and then sold out to Morgan Stanley after incurring huge losses. Morgan Stanley dropped the Smith Barney name in 2012.

I'm sure that family members of Smith Barney were not happy that their father's hard work and reputation were destroyed and their name abandoned. Shameful.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #49
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Thanks for setting me straight.

Quote:
Nope....Smith Barney was the company with the line, spoken by John Houseman:
Thanks for setting HIM straight.

Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #50
deron52

handicapping software

try the exotics buster find what the kelly in your on turn like low kelly vs high kelly

Last edited by deron52; 10-22-2015 at 05:20 PM.
deron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #51
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deron52
try the exotics buster find what the kelly in your on turn like low kelly vs high kelly

easy for you to say......seriously, deron---did you have any luck with the alleged "exotics buster"? That program came free with the TIPS software. The absolute only use I found for it was a quick-and-dirty trainer/jockey screen, when I didn't have PP's for that track or day. Other than that, nada. I finally deleted it a few mos. ago.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 AM   #52
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

The investment company commercials had their heyday in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Smith Barney was Houseman's often-uttered line: "Smith Barney makes money the old fashioned way. They (whispered) earn it."

Paine Weber did celebrities that said: "Thank you, Paine Weber."

E. F. Hutton had the commercial where a person, in a setting full of lively conversations and/or music, would say "My broker is E. F. Hutton, and E.F. Hutton says": and the room would fall silent, people would exaggeratedly cock their heads in the direction of the speaker, and the announcer woulld intone off-camera: "When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen."

Then there was the "Merrill Lynch is bullish on America," line.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 AM   #53
cardinalsfan

RPM Now Labeling Other's Software as Their Own

RPM Information Systems stoops to a new low. They are now selling a system under Jon Worth's name that is IDENTICAL to one Robert McDaniels has been selling for the past 10+ years!!!! They didn't even bother to retype it. Just changed the name to brand it as Jon Worth's and put it up on their website. So, not only are their programs atrocious (even the most basic calculations do not match the paper and pencil system or even make sense), now they're looking more and more like a Strauss/Mike Warren-like system mill. They started off offering some good stuff but now I would not waste the electricity it takes for my computer to go to their website. RPM...clean it up - hire a real computer programmer and get back to original systems - or get out!!!
cardinalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2016, 03:00 AM   #54
cardinalsfan

Correction

That last post should have said RPM is labeling other's systems as their own, not other's software.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 AM   #55
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalsfan
That last post should have said RPM is labeling other's systems as their own, not other's software.

Many years ago I found out that he was selling something I wrote. He just changed the name.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #56
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete
The investment company commercials had their heyday in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Smith Barney was Houseman's often-uttered line: "Smith Barney makes money the old fashioned way. They (whispered) earn it."

Paine Weber did celebrities that said: "Thank you, Paine Weber."

E. F. Hutton had the commercial where a person, in a setting full of lively conversations and/or music, would say "My broker is E. F. Hutton, and E.F. Hutton says": and the room would fall silent, people would exaggeratedly cock their heads in the direction of the speaker, and the announcer woulld intone off-camera: "When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen."

Then there was the "Merrill Lynch is bullish on America," [/B].
All were good commercials when brokerage and investment houses did in fact adhere to the now silly notion of fudiciary responsibility to the client. Yes, they all took a commission but the customer was also considered an asset back then. Now, we're just pests and treated as a focus group item to be sold to some marketing firm.

Here is one of the first commercials I enjoyed seeing as a youngster, often shown on CBS during NFL games back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yuEn8lh5M
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #57
cardinalsfan

RPM Information Systems

That's such a shame. My hope is that Jon Worth is not aware of what is going on. His father was one of the very few people that put out useful information in his day. I feel he always had the horseplayer's best interest in mind and did not take advantage of them. Never did I buy single item from him and feel ripped off.

RPM's reported workouts are typically false. I did a workout on one of their systems in which I had all of the same forms to check. Their workout appeared to be a complete fabrication.

All I can say to RPM is clean up your act. You do put out useful material from time to time. Nothing that will get anyone rich but something a good handicapper can build on. The problem, at this point I think of you as running a system mill and you have lost my trust.

Dave? Tracy? Tom C? Jon W? Comment anyone???
Old 09-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #58
cardinalsfan

Pandy and Others vs. RPM Handicapping Giant aka RPM Information Services

I'm not a schill for Pandy our anyone else but the material he and many others on this website put out should show RPM the way. Pandy's information is well-researched, well explained, priced fairly and always had value. Again, there are several on this website that produce the same type of material. To all of you I say thank you. To RPM information Services I say, get a clue.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #59
green80

The amazing thing about Mike Warren is that he has been in business over 40 years. I remember getting his newsletters back in the early 70's. That has got to be a record for somebody that can't pick a winner.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #60
cardinalsfan

I had to check it out for myself. Amazingly, you are right, Mike Warren is still in business! I'm wondering if it's actually him or if it's just somebody using his name.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: