Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

On your honor.......

Here is your chance to thump your chest and declare to the world your Derby winning tickets, or even bold losing plays.

Did you have an unusual theory that paid off?

Share with other handicappers how you approached the most hallowed of racing events.

Anyone have a piece of Brisbet's Pik6 syndicate hit that paid nearly a quarter million dollars.....twice?

If the thread is met with any interest, I too, may post.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom
Seattle, WA
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
samyn on the green

No more redboarding please. It is a gross violation of racetrack etiquette. Just don't do it. Cashing a significnt ticket is one of the great joys of life and yes it is alway better to do thing like this with others. However the satisfaction should come from within. If you want to be cajoled by the masses post the bets before the race and do not redboard.
samyn on the green is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
ELA

In this case I can see both sides of the coin. But at the same time, the "redboarding" thing, if that's what we are talking about, is nothing more than BS showing off. Personally, I don't care. For the people here that I know personally, if they posted what they hit -- after the race -- I would believe them. Then again, the people who I am talking about have integrity. I couldn't speak to those I don't know personally of course. I also think to just to call every "I had it" redboarding is also nonsense. To me, that's some nonsensically developed internet protocol. What is this, honor amongst theives? LOL.

If Bob Fox posted that he had $X across the board on Street Sense, I would believe him, even if I didn't know the colt was his pick before the race. Bob is not the kind of guy who would say he had 5 times or 10 times X on the horse. He's not the kind of guy who would say he had twice X.

If it's about self satisfaction than I don't see the point in posting your picks before and thumping your chest afterwards either.

There are some well known public handicappers here, some are professionals I would venture, some are not. Doesn't matter. I think you take it with a grain of salt and based upon the shaker it came from so to speak, LOL.

Eric
ELA is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
Bruddah
Veteran

I wish I could find Ms. Elsie again

I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but I love relating this experience with Ms. Elsie.

In the early 70's ( I was a youngster then) having saved enough money to take a weeks vacation at Oaklawn and do nothing but play the ponies. I had payed my motel bill for the week, and rationed $100 a day for betting and $10 per day for eating. Not a lot by todays standards, but a small fortune to a young single guy. I was fortunate enough to wrangle a box from a family friend, for the entire week, and felt like nobility.

The first night I spent handicapping until I fell into an exhausted sleep. I awoke feeling, as if, I had every winner, of every race. This was going to be my LUCKY DAY. A horse players dream come true.

When I arrived at my box, I noticed an elderly (80ish) lady in the next box. She introduced herself as Elsie ? (can't remember) and therefore, I referred to her as Ms. Elsie, the rest of the day. She also had a "runner" assigned to place and retrieve her bets. She had a program and nothing else to aid in her handicapping. I thought, poor little old lady will probably lose all her money. To make a long story short, by the 8th race, she had collected a winners ticket on every race. (7 straight winners) Me? I hadn't collected a dime and had $20 left out of my bank roll. All pride gone, I leaned over and asked Ms. Elsie who she liked in the next race. She looked at her program and pointed to 'Times a Movin'. I sprinted up to the betting windows and put $10 to win on the nag. It won and paid $20 and change. Got me even for the day. Naturally, I relied on my new handicapping friend for the final race of the day. She pointed to 'More Coins'. I put my new found $100 to Win on 'More Coins' and he won, the last race of the day. Within 2 races Ms. Elsie had taken me from almost broke to over a grand winner. Enough to pay for my entire vacation and bets at the track.

By now, I was convinced Ms. Elsie was the head of a betting syndicate, which probably knew the winner of every race. I was destined to be a Millionaire, just by sitting next to the old girl. I asked her how long she had been playing the horses and how could she possibly handicap 9 winners in a row. She told me it was the first time she had ever been to the track. The box belonged to her son in law and daughter. As a matter of fact, they were coming down the aisle to get her and they were going home. She also told me, she didn't know what all the fuss was about, in picking a winner. She had collected on 9, $2 winning tickets.

Today when I go to the track, I still look for Ms. Elsie, 40 years later.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Fair enough.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green
No more redboarding please. It is a gross violation of racetrack etiquette. Just don't do it. Cashing a significnt ticket is one of the great joys of life and yes it is alway better to do thing like this with others. However the satisfaction should come from within. If you want to be cajoled by the masses post the bets before the race and do not redboard.
I can respect your position. Redboarding can be annoying, but if I were to ask you "how you did you approach your Derby decisions, and what were your results," how would you answer the question? With silence? If you answer this question with a "yes" then I'm thinking the thread is not for you.

Redboarding, from where I sit, comes unsolicited. Discussion and perspective is more what I was looking for, but I wasn't looking to step on anyone's toes, and apparently, I have.

BTW, racetrack etiquette, according to Andy Beyer, allows one, should their score exceed 10% of their annual gross earnings, to jump up on the table and declare oneself "King of the World!" Now, I imagine that there are different renditions of this proclomation, and I was giving anyone that wanted to share that forum.

Personally, I revel in the good hits of others. A hearty "good on ya!" will often be accompanied by a slap on the back and the question "can I buy you a drink?" I guess I'm just a contrarian because this posture is exactly the opposite of what most racing fans display.

If I may ask, what is the definition of Redboarding? I can't seem to find an accurate one.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
john del riccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom
Here is your chance to thump your chest and declare to the world your Derby winning tickets, or even bold losing plays.

Did you have an unusual theory that paid off?

Share with other handicappers how you approached the most hallowed of racing events.

Anyone have a piece of Brisbet's Pik6 syndicate hit that paid nearly a quarter million dollars.....twice?

If the thread is met with any interest, I too, may post.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom
Seattle, WA
Hajck,

The turf stake right befoe the Derby featured one of my better geritol moments. I thought that Milk It Mick was ready to run a good race seeing as he ran great last year over this turf course in this very race, liked a turf course with some give, and was third off the layoff. I played him to win & place and boxed him with SKY CONQUERER and BRILLIANT. I did not make a three horse box, it was just MIM in a box with each of them. That my friend is called stupidity, especially since I thought EINSTIEN was a very bad favorite being 0-2 at CD. I guess this is considered BLACK-boarding...~

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
kenwoodallpromos

Redboarding

This year there seemed to be far less injuries, and less inconsistent records among the contenders, so I figujred low odds entries to do well.
Go to my TVG Fantasy picks and you will see both SS and HS there.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
46zilzal
velocitician

B.S. you learn from DOING and part of that doing is incorrect. This mania about never talking about past wagers in handicapping decisions is plain stupid.

Imagine if I were presenting a paper on pharmaceutical interactions and never produced any historical data? Same here: REVIEW is what teaches you nothing else...

I have been to and/or capped more races than the majority here and have learned from review over and over.....Keep testosterone out of the scientific method.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
samyn on the green

Reboarding is all about credibility. There is nothing scientific about losing your butt at the track than logging on here and bragging about what a smart cookie you are.

There is nothing scientific about posting your outsourced computer selections after they win. How about posting before the race and showing us the dozens of losers it took to stumble upon that winner. There is a massive credibility issue that needs to be addressed here.

Posting winners to others is also about sharing and caring. If you are going to share info, make thousands of posts, why not share a winner with the group before the race, when they have a chance to get into the action. Posting after the race about how great your selections are is also rude, you are putting your finger in someones face and saying I am number 1. It is OK to be number 1 but at the track you have to make your bets before the race and not after.

Redboarding is a massive racetrack protocol violation. Post before the race and then you can get all the accolades you desire. If not do not post prior to the race do not redboard about how great you are.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:

Redboarding is a massive racetrack protocol violation. Post before the race and then you can get all the accolades you desire. If not do not post prior to the race do not redboard about how great you are.
I will have to take that up with the Minsitry of Thought Mr. Winston Smith.

Ego has nothing to do with the philosophy or the mechanics of handicapping angles....When you present an angle, what are you going to do, present one that didn't work to save some theoretical face? MALARKEY!!!

Quick tell American Turf Monthly that they have had it wrong for year and years. They better wise up.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 05-09-2007 at 03:31 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
samyn on the green

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
I will have to take that up with the Minsitry of Thought Mr. Winston Smith.

Ego has nothing to do with the philosophy or the mechanics of handicapping angles....When you present an angle, what are you going to do, present one that didn't work to save some theoretical face? MALARKEY!!!

Quick tell American Turf Monthly that they have had it wrong for year and years. They better wise up.
As we continue with this thread it is clear that you can not post winners before the race because you do not have winners to post. Speaking of Winston Smith/Orwell and all of this talk about Sartin/Velocity figures/computer program selections is a load of double think. Forget all that and take a bee-line right to the winners. This game of mastering horseflesh form has always been and will always be an art and not the ancillary science of handicapping products. Redboarding is a thoughtcrime and a speachcrime and the ministry frowns on it.

By the way here is the Belmont late pick 3 on a very slim ticket. No redboard needed.

4/1,5,6/5,7,8,10
Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
46zilzal
velocitician

I talk handicapping principles and do not run a tout service. Wagering is an exclusive discipline to handicapping. As far as Sartinists are concerned you will have to reprogam hundreds of users as it continues to work day in day out (for me since 1987), and is part of dozens of programs. Wow, they are all wrong? new to me..

There is no set protocol about the discussion of learning anything. Principles, in order to be understood, need examples, after the fact: the way we all learn. ANY discipline.

Riding a bike: you learn from experience. Your review your mistakes and improve.
Typing, many trials before mastery. Principles to help learning require review.
Swimming, skiing, taking photographs, Drawing, tying one's shoes...the list in endless.

Along the way, some people find things that work better than others and, in order to enlighten similar enthusiasts to those facets on the learning curve, they provide sucessful examples. EVERY DISCIPLINE follows these steps, so handicapping and the lessons learned are then somehow distinct to the learning agenda? Hardly.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
Pace Cap'n

I have never felt offended by a redboard. In fact, I rather enjoy them.

I didn't cash a ticket on the Derby. Looking back, it would have been so simple, using a bit of logic. Box the favs, THEN start with all the fancy capping and betting.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
shanta

I lost my bet

I lost my Derby win bet(I didn't wager the exotics). I wagered Great Hunter to win in the Derby.

When I saw the race setup consisting of
a) Stormello
b) Hard Spun
c) Liquidity
d) Nobiz
e) Curlin(whom I felt had almost no chance to win the race igonoring the hype. a 47-112 horse who TODAY would be facing a 1:10.4 PROJECTED PACE which I posted BEFORE the race ran here. I missed by a tick when it actually went 1:11.)

I felt these horses would go early fast enough (start to 6f mark) that the race WINNER would be other than early. When I bet off the pace types I have focused on the quick moving positional gainers between calls who are fast. That left me on
a) SS
b) Great Hunter
c) AGS

Tiago-slow ass horse
Circular Quay-just didnt look right at all which I stated in the war room the night previous(along with my losing selection)

I saw that last year Great Hunter defeated Street Sense and SS had defeated GH. I don't pay ANY attention to post positions and the like
(referring to GH and post 20). Could that have cost me here? ABSOLUTELY.

I wanted to bet the horse among the 2 that would be CLOSEST to the pace and that was GH. As it turned out he was ahead of SS early on but had nothing while SS went by and dazzled.

I saw the projected pace almost DEAD ON.
I saw the winning running style DEAD ON.
I picked the wrong horse and lost my win bet which for me was fairly sizeable.
I move on.
Congrats to EVERYONE who made bucks on the race!

That's it!
Richie
shanta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
As we continue with this thread it is clear that you can not post winners before the race because you do not have winners to post. Speaking of Winston Smith/Orwell and all of this talk about Sartin/Velocity figures/computer program selections is a load of double think. Forget all that and take a bee-line right to the winners. This game of mastering horseflesh form has always been and will always be an art and not the ancillary science of handicapping products. Redboarding is a thoughtcrime and a speachcrime and the ministry frowns on it.

By the way here is the Belmont late pick 3 on a very slim ticket. No redboard needed.

4/1,5,6/5,7,8,10
Here's the deal - your ignorance of what other people do should not be worn like a badge of honor. I use a program similar to the one 46 uses - an earlier version, and it is not doubletalk. And the art of horseflesh? Hey, if it works for you, great, but guess what, you are not the only one out there handicapping and winning races. Your inablilty to understand programs is unfotunate, but nothing to be proud of.
And if you don't like "redboarding" skip the threads. Obviously, more here have expressed an interest.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: