Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #31
bello
Veteran

Ha, Peta asked for data that we, as horseplayers should have demanded years ago.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #32
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Ha, Peta asked for data that we, as horseplayers should have demanded years ago.
Honestly even beyond the obvious point that many of us are fans too and don't want to see horses get hurt, a game full of doping is obviously not good for gamblers either. It is too easy to use medications to produce form reversals and manipulate pools.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #33
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
One way to understand why racing's position on Lasix is so terrible is to clear your mind of sny of your knowledge about horse racing and then re-read this statement.

How does PETA's argument sound to an ordinary person who pays no or little attention to horse racing? Of course horses have to be sound. Of course we can't be running them when they are injured or sick. Etc.

Now, as a practical matter, there's no way racing could exist under the rules proposed by PETA (which, of course, is a feature and not a bug to PETA). But it is still a powerful argument. I suspect if PETA put this rule into a ballot initiative, they could pass it in California.

Racing has to care about this. It is going to need to meet PETA halfway or breakdowns will eventually result in the banning of the sport.
The language used to ban greyhound racing in Florida applies just as equally to horse racing which should make some uncomfortable.

I guess I also wonder how the breakdown rate compares to international standards? Are American horses more drugged than what you see in Europe or Hong Kong or Japan?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #34
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The language used to ban greyhound racing in Florida applies just as equally to horse racing which should make some uncomfortable.

I guess I also wonder how the breakdown rate compares to international standards? Are American horses more drugged than what you see in Europe or Hong Kong or Japan?
Greyhound ban was voted on by the public and they voted a resounding no. Though there was much anti-greyhound advertising, they did not hit us up with pictures of starving hounds and miserable dogs and the anti greyhound lobby still won out.

What if they start showing horse racing kill pens and the ugly site of ankles danging by a sheath of skin in an on track breakdown.....Horse racing industry better start mobilizing fast. I've discussed this in the past and have been beaten up as a troll.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #35
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Askin, the synthetics consistently reduced fatalities AT THE SAME RACETRACK over the previous dirt track.
A new track surface including new base will result in fewer breakdowns.

There was a video floating around, and I imagine it's still out there, where Scollay is giving a lecture to students and she admits that in the first few years that the breakdown rate was lower on synthetics but a few years in (and at the time of her lecture), the gap was closing.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #36
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
A new track surface including new base will result in fewer breakdowns.

There was a video floating around, and I imagine it's still out there, where Scollay is giving a lecture to students and she admits that in the first few years that the breakdown rate was lower on synthetics but a few years in (and at the time of her lecture), the gap was closing.

Well, that's wrong. We know that because we now have plenty of data worldwide from a decade of synthetics. And their fatality averages are, overall, far lower than dirt.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #37
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Greyhound ban was voted on by the public and they voted a resounding no. Though there was much anti-greyhound advertising, they did not hit us up with pictures of starving hounds and miserable dogs and the anti greyhound lobby still won out.

What if they start showing horse racing kill pens and the ugly site of ankles danging by a sheath of skin in an on track breakdown.....Horse racing industry better start mobilizing fast. I've discussed this in the past and have been beaten up as a troll.
Sorry I'm confused by your wording but Florida did vote to ban greyhound racing.

I've always maintain if SeaWorld could be taken down by Blackfish, horse racing could be wiped out within a decade I'd filmmakers made a compelling case

It's so much better for horse racing that it isn't mainstream...
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #38
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Sorry I'm confused by your wording but Florida did vote to ban greyhound racing.

I've always maintain if SeaWorld could be taken down by Blackfish, horse racing could be wiped out within a decade I'd filmmakers made a compelling case

It's so much better for horse racing that it isn't mainstream...
On the reread,agree my wording was confusing and you said what I meant to say.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #39
Suff
Beat up 💪

I was at Gulfstream today. The only thing I heard was that they've sent this guy out there as well.

Robert E. O'Neil
Director, Equine Health and Safety at Gulfstream Park
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #40
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I was at Gulfstream today. The only thing I heard was that they've sent this guy out there as well.

Robert E. O'Neil
Director, Equine Health and Safety at Gulfstream Park
So what is O'Neil going to accomplish?....Is he going to provide cover for Ritvo?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #41
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
So what is O'Neil going to accomplish?....Is he going to provide cover for Ritvo?
I can't reply meaningfully with what you're offering up.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #42
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I can't reply meaningfully with what you're offering up.
Suff, we get along and I consider you a peer, so I'm going to show my post from earlier in the thread as context....we'll go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
My opinion on this problem is Tim Ritvo…..With a dwindling horse population on track, and given marching orders by The Stronach Group to get the horsemen to race their stables as much/quickly as possible, the pressure of this precarious situation with the decline of racing in Cali has led to "not-ready horses" being pushed too quickly to train and then race against healthy quality stock to win purse shares....

Something had to give and unfortunately it's the horses themselves....It has to stop.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #43
Suff
Beat up 💪

What you're suggesting fits with some stall drama that's made the industry press semi-frequently. I put myself on OUT on the who/whats/whys/random spikes in deaths because its big-boy time. Its to serious for me say anything about the causes.

I was contributing from the angle of its potential consequences if it hits the main stream media. Then the potential threat of an anti-racing political voice to go viral is quite possible in California.

I accept your version of get along as well.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #44
anotherCAfan

A few things, seemingly unrelated, from my day:
  1. I drove by a billboard protesting last weekend's Professional Bull Riders event in Los Angeles. What was odd was that this billboard was in a middle-class to working-class area in Los Angeles, not a "bleeding heart" part of town like Beverly Hills or Santa Monica.
  2. A bill introduced in the State Senate (Circus Cruelty Prevention Act) would make it illegal to use or allow the use of wild and exotic animals in traveling acts within California.
  3. A local television station had its news drone flying over the Santa Anita property this morning, catching horses working on the training track. While the training track is not closed, the average viewer doesn't know better -- and would assume the worst.

While these things are seemingly unrelated, they are not. Previous poster(s) in this thread drew the link between Sea World and our industry. That's scary, but it's something the whole industry needs to recognize (and recognize quickly).
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 AM   #45
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherCAfan View Post
While these things are seemingly unrelated, they are not. Previous poster(s) in this thread drew the link between Sea World and our industry. That's scary, but it's something the whole industry needs to recognize (and recognize quickly).
If Cali racing is indeed headed for the scrap heap, a convenient scapegoat would be this angle(PETA/Activists).....Thus Stronach can close Santa Anita and Golden Gate, selling the land for huge profits before the real estate market goes into a recession, one that it's headed for already.....What happens to Del Mar is anyone's guess.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: