Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
delayjf

NIGHT RACING AT HOLLYWOOD

Does anybody know how night racing affects the mutuel handle at Hol. I know a lot of east coast tracks and betting outlets don't carry the signal on Friday nights. At Least Virginia didn't. If that's true, how can cutting out the east coast be good for business. I know they get a few more people on track, but their mainly there for the dollar hot dogs and beer.

I know the horsemen hate it. And it's tough SoCal handicappers as well.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #2
kenwoodallpromos

If anyone knows that, maybe they can tell me how $1 beer affects the handle!
Old 04-29-2004, 10:20 AM   #3
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Delayjf,
Good point...I live in Vegas and I love the late post time but I have to think it hurts the simulcasting handle. Btw, which OTB do you frequent...S. Military or Hampton?
Dancer's Image is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
delayjf

DI,

When I'm in Norfolk, I go to Hampton, closer to Hooters
Right now I'm TAD.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Delayjf,
Served in the Navy, lived in Norfolk area 15 years....retired now in Vegas. Still have many friends in Norfolk, (thank God military people aren't so damned senstive as some people on this board), have been to both Hampton and S Military OTB's. If you ever get to Vegas, please PM me so I can buy you a beer. I am extremely grateful for the service of our men in uniform in these dangerous days.

Getting back to the question in the thread, I think Hollywood is doing the right thing in having these evening races, although their handle may be decreased. By having Friday night racing, they open up the possibility of bringing in a new group of fans, Friday night date night and all that. Bay Meadows is doing the same thing and I can tell you that the racebook business in Vegas is markedly increased.
Dancer's Image is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
delayjf

Having attended the races at Hollywood on a few Friday nights I can tell you the crowd they are drawing is not the crowd they want.

Hollywood due to its location does not draw the same crowd, as such its really looked down on by horsemen and fans. Take last Saturday for example. A guarenteed 1 million dollar pick six and a damn good card (full fields) and Hollywood still had to throw money into the kitty.

Now if the late post time works for them, I could see their point. But I'm not convinced it does. If they ever do move the track to Irvine, they might then attract a more bet happy crowd.

From a handicapping point of view, at least to me, When I was stationed out there and played regularly, I would get cramed trying to cap Fridays then Saturdays card. I know the horsemen hate it because it really messes with their normal work day.

Back in my younger days in Nebraska, Ak-SAR-BEN used to have 4 pm posts times during the week, which I thought was great. I could get off work in time to hit the track.

If I make it to Vegas, the second rounds on me.

Anchors Away