Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #31
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Unless James was bobbling the ball (he wasn't), that ruling was a good example of inexperience and/or incompetence on both the rule-makers and the reviewers.
The thing is, it always used to be once the ball crosses the plane, its a done deal. The last couple years they came up with this deal if its a pass you have to hold it all the way through. This has come up multiple times in other games. Its the second time New England won off of it this year. They are lucky they have not lost 5 or more games this year. Their defense is not good. They had a good run during the weakest part of the schedule but the good offensive teams have exposed them all year. Its the rule makers that came up with this one. Its been called that way consistently. Pittsburg also has played that way, they also can score a ton but can't stop teams when it counts. The play in the AFC on defense has been awful with the exception of Jacksonville. Pittsburg didn't even play for overtime after that call.........they really can't bitch cause they still blew it in the end. Just a game that fell apart at the end....like when horses go .43 to the half then fold up shop.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #32
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
The thing is, it always used to be once the ball crosses the plane, its a done deal. The last couple years they came up with this deal if its a pass you have to hold it all the way through. This has come up multiple times in other games. Its the second time New England won off of it this year.
I agree with the rule in the situation where there is ambiguity as to whether the receiver caught the ball. Those situations are mostly limited to bobbles/juggles and/or bang-bang split-second plays, as well as some rare situations that I can't think of at this second.

This guy James caught the ball, turned and broke the plane of the end zone, but becaus he didn't then cradle the ball and fall on his body, they queue rule 8 section 3 paragraph 2 or whatever numbers correspond to the poorly written and interpreted rule.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #33
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post

As a postscript, I couldn’t believe the number of empty seats at Heinz Field. If the game had been played at Gillette, the place would have been packed.
Even in Pittsburgh you see empty seats....hmmmm. Downward spiral for attendance indeed.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Bullshit call.

He caught the ball clean, extended it over the goal line. End of play.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #35
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Bullshit call.

YEP agree 1000 % with you Ralph. The call stinks to high hell. No way was there enough evidence to over turn the call on the field.

Z
Old 12-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #36
Fred Mertz

Yes, Ralphie, it was a touchdown.

Steelers fans should be rightfully ticked off.

It's over, so I won't belabor the point.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 AM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Somehow, Cowboy/Raider refs managed to upstage the Pats/Steelers refs.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #38
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Somehow, Cowboy/Raider refs managed to upstage the Pats/Steelers refs.

Just watched our local sports show, some of those calls were below high school level officiating

The replay I saw, I could see daylight / turf between the yard stick and the ball. Plus, they folded a piece of paper to run down the marker to see if there was a space between the marker and ball... Why would you fold the paper? That action favored Dallas I believe

They also replayed an Oakland catch in the 4th quarter, the ball clearly hit the ground before possession was completed. That one favored Oakland. On local radio they're howling about other bad calls / poor plays.

Last edited by ElKabong; 12-18-2017 at 01:45 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 AM   #39
lamboguy

after watching the game you could really see the Steeler's put out an exceptional group of players. the offensive line kept making holes and pushing the Pat's backward. even with their shortcomings, they have plenty to take care of any team they will face in the playoffs except for the Pat's. if someone else knocks off the Patriot's they should have a cakewalk.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 01:55 AM   #40
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
What a game! It was the Steelers to win…and they lost. First, if anything did the Steelers in and helped the Patriots, it was the Brady-to-Gronkowski combination. They were incredible down the stretch. But all that would have been for naught if the Steelers had come back to score in the closing minute.

Further, I believe the loss of Antonio Brown in the first half was critical. He’s definitely one of “Big Ben’s” weapons. No doubt…the Steelers had their chances. A chance to intercept on the first pass of the Patriots winning drive (Brady comes right back and hits “Gronk” near midfield).

But a tremendous catch-and-run after the ensuing kickoff (the play started out so innocently; it was almost as if I was watching it in slow-motion) by JuJu Smith-Schuster. At that moment, I thought, at the very least, this games goes into OT.

And when Jesse James scored what looked the winning TD, I figure Steelers win and beat the spread.

In fact, when I saw the replay, I thought that possibly Jesse James’ knee touched the ground before the ball crossed the goal-line plane. Then, I noticed that the ball had come loose when he fell into the end-zone. Incomplete! A collective sigh of relief back in New England.

When it was over, the whole thing had me shaking my head. All I could think of was that “Tom Terrific” had pulled another rabbit out of his hat…or should I say his helmet.

As a postscript, I couldn’t believe the number of empty seats at Heinz Field. If the game had been played at Gillette, the place would have been packed.
its a sell out...some were wet watching under the bleachers

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #41
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Bullshit call.

But a guy flying out of bounds who grazes the pylon before rolling without the ball into the cheerleaders gets his TD.

That ruling (the Pittsburgh non-TD) should be re-examined with some inclusion of the "ground can't cause a fumble" principle.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #42
mikeb

I was under the impression just breaking the plane of the goal line was enuff
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #43
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
But a guy flying out of bounds who grazes the pylon before rolling without the ball into the cheerleaders gets his TD.

That ruling (the Pittsburgh non-TD) should be re-examined with some inclusion of the "ground can't cause a fumble" principle.
The ground can cause a fumble if you aren't touched by a defender on the way to the ground or a defender's contact didn't cause you to go down. If a guy falls on his own, hits the ground and the ball comes out it is a live ball.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #44
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
after watching the game you could really see the Steeler's put out an exceptional group of players. the offensive line kept making holes and pushing the Pat's backward. even with their shortcomings, they have plenty to take care of any team they will face in the playoffs except for the Pat's. if someone else knocks off the Patriot's they should have a cakewalk.
It is often said that defense wins championships. If that is the case then the Jaguars are going to be awfully tough to beat. And they are playing very well.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #45
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I was under the impression just breaking the plane of the goal line was enuff
Yes, but it first must be a catch. To be a catch, the receiver must control the ball all the way to the ground. The receiver bobbled the ball slightly upon contact with the ground and the ball touched the ground. Incomplete pass. I don't blame the refs, I blame the rule. It always seems to arise at the very worst times.