Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Teach

Patriots vs. Steelers

Just two days. Less than 48 hours. The Showdown at The Heinz. The Patriots or Steelers? The Pats are favored by 3 (last I looked). Yet, I’m picking…The Steelers. Why?

So goes Tom Brady, so goes The Patriots. I’m skeptical. I’m concerned. Brady is 40-years old. I don’t care how young he says he feels, or how good he looks, Father Time has a way of catching up to you. Is his Achilles tendon bothering him? Frankly, I didn’t think Brady was sharp in the Patriots Monday Night loss to the Dolphins. Was that loss a sign of things to come?

By and large, the Patriots have beaten weaker teams. The AFC East is a weak division. I thought the Pats could have been in trouble against the Bills. Buffalo marched down the field on the opening drive only to have their quarterback, Tyrod Taylor, throw an ill-advised pass inside the Patriots 10-yard line; it gets picked off. Game. Set. Match. The outcome of that game turned on that play. Talk about a deflator.

Further, the Patriots will be without their 6-foot-6, 350-pound defensive lineman, Alan Branch. Branch has a way of clogging up the middle. His absence is a big loss. On the offensive side, the Patriots offensive line has not done a great job of protecting Brady; he’s taken his share of hits.

The Pats receiving core has been depleted (New England has gotten by without Julian Edelman…but in games like this he is sorely missed). Danny Amendola would seem like the logical short-yardage receiver, but he wasn’t even thrown to in the first half of the Miami game (Look for the Steelers to double-cover him). Ron Gronkowski is an excellent receiver, but will it take some time to shake off the rust from his one-game suspension? Chris Hogan doesn’t seem to be the same after coming back from his injury. As for Brandin Cooks, I don’t see him as reliable.

Again, it all harks back to Brady. I’ve watched him over the season and throughout the years. If the Miami game is an indication, it could be a long late-Sunday afternoon, early-Sunday evening for Bill Belichick’s team.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Just two days. Less than 48 hours. The Showdown at The Heinz. The Patriots or Steelers? The Pats are favored by 3 (last I looked). Yet, I’m picking…The Steelers. Why?

So goes Tom Brady, so goes The Patriots. I’m skeptical. I’m concerned. Brady is 40-years old. I don’t care how young he says he feels, or how good he looks, Father Time has a way of catching up to you. Is his Achilles tendon bothering him? Frankly, I didn’t think Brady was sharp in the Patriots Monday Night loss to the Dolphins. Was that loss a sign of things to come?

By and large, the Patriots have beaten weaker teams. The AFC East is a weak division. I thought the Pats could have been in trouble against the Bills. Buffalo marched down the field on the opening drive only to have their quarterback, Tyrod Taylor, throw an ill-advised pass inside the Patriots 10-yard line; it gets picked off. Game. Set. Match. The outcome of that game turned on that play. Talk about a deflator.

Further, the Patriots will be without their 6-foot-6, 350-pound defensive lineman, Alan Branch. Branch has a way of clogging up the middle. His absence is a big loss. On the offensive side, the Patriots offensive line has not done a great job of protecting Brady; he’s taken his share of hits.

The Pats receiving core has been depleted (New England has gotten by without Julian Edelman…but in games like this he is sorely missed). Danny Amendola would seem like the logical short-yardage receiver, but he wasn’t even thrown to in the first half of the Miami game (Look for the Steelers to double-cover him). Ron Gronkowski is an excellent receiver, but will it take some time to shake off the rust from his one-game suspension? Chris Hogan doesn’t seem to be the same after coming back from his injury. As for Brandin Cooks, I don’t see him as reliable.

Again, it all harks back to Brady. I’ve watched him over the season and throughout the years. If the Miami game is an indication, it could be a long late-Sunday afternoon, early-Sunday evening for Bill Belichick’s team.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
lamboguy

i love seeing the Pats lose, not exactly my favorite team. but they had a bad game against the fish. we as humans have good days and bad ones. The Steelers have an excellent squad except for their quarterback and their coach is no bargain either. The Steelers will find a way to lose at home in my opinion.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
Teach

And then...there's Le'Veon Bell. "The Juice" is Loose". What about the status of some of the Patriots defensive lineman, e.g. Trey Flowers, Kyle Van Noy, etc.?

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Valuist

The Steelers had their own defensive issues last week. No Ryan Shazier, and he obviously won't be playing this weekend, either. 400 plus yards allowed, 6.7 yards/play and 152 rush yards against a mediocre Baltimore offense. They also committed over 100 yards in penalties. I'm not sure if I'm getting to the window at all in this game. The over is worth a look, and I don't see the total coming down much.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i love seeing the Pats lose, not exactly my favorite team. but they had a bad game against the fish. we as humans have good days and bad ones. The Steelers have an excellent squad except for their quarterback and their coach is no bargain either. The Steelers will find a way to lose at home in my opinion.

If you disregard age, I can think of at least 28 teams that would trade for him.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Big Ben a weak link? Top 10 QB in my opinion . Tomlin has his shortcomings as a coach but his players seem to like to play for him.Steelers problem is that they underachieve far too often,struggling against the bad teams.Patriots rarely play two bad games in a row and they play as well in Pittsburgh as they play poorly in Miami; the Dolphins have the most home victories (10) of any team vs. Brady. Looks like a New England W to me with a comfortable cover, 8-10 points.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Big Ben a weak link? Top 10 QB in my opinion . Tomlin has his shortcomings as a coach but his players seem to like to play for him.Steelers problem is that they underachieve far too often,struggling against the bad teams.Patriots rarely play two bad games in a row and they play as well in Pittsburgh as they play poorly in Miami; the Dolphins have the most home victories (10) of any team vs. Brady. Looks like a New England W to me with a comfortable cover, 8-10 points.
I'd listen to this guy.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 12:54 AM   #9
thaskalos

Forget this game...and bet the money on the Rams instead.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:08 AM   #10
ElKabong

Highland Park beat Denton Ryan tonight. My football weekend is pretty much over ....

Pats were beaten last week by Miami if I heard right. Not sure how this game would be considered "big", they'll just dance again in the playoffs when it'll count for something.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 03:41 AM   #11
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
if Roethlisberger is in the top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL it just goes to show you how watered down the talent is in that league, makes sense though when you look at the game day attendance fall off a cliff lately.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Forget this game...and bet the money on the Rams instead.
I agree.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
if Roethlisberger is in the top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL it just goes to show you how watered down the talent is in that league, makes sense though when you look at the game day attendance fall off a cliff lately.
Last I checked, the bum in Pittsburgh is headed to the HOF, and it's not close. So your hate and sarcasm is noted.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

I give the edge to New England if both teams bring their 'A' game.

In regards to Big Ben, he seems like he is feeling good. Been a few times that he has looked downfield, given a pump fake, and then ran the ball for several yards.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
jay68802

Betting wise, I can get the home team with the running game advantage and points. Sounds good to me.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: