Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Monmouth Park

Anyone from outside of NJ give any crap about Monmouth Park opening this weekend? Just curious. I like betting Del Mar when it opens but obviously its a much better track. But I do think Monmouth is very under rated.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2017, 02:50 AM   #2
dav4463

I like Monmouth. I am in Texas.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:08 AM   #3
lamboguy

i am from Boston and Monmouth is my favorite track. the place has a very strong fan base.

i love the Perkins horse in the 11th race Saturday, i would be happy with a $5 win ticket on him.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
MonmouthParkJoe

Decent fields for opening day too. We will see what happens with the weather this weekend. 52 and rain!

From those I have talked to in different regions, I would say some do. They typically split 15/85 on track versus off so people in simo world are betting it, they avoid running on top of NYRA and IMO have a better product than Delaware Park, Parx, and Arlington that run around the same time. They also get some NY shippers so those that follow NYRA may follow Monmouth.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
onefast99

MP will do ok, they have a solid fan base betting wise and you can always count on 6 or 7 really great days of racing where the place is packed like Mothers and Fathers day as well as the food truck and beer festivals. Add Haskell Day to the mix and the place will be buzzing. Some good changes in food choices may help, now we only need a revenue source to compete with Parx and NYRA purse wise!
Old 05-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I've always liked Monmouth...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 03:13 AM   #7
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Wasn't there a J bred race for crack sprinters that was opening day staple? I don't see it.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #8
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89 View Post
Wasn't there a J bred race for crack sprinters that was opening day staple? I don't see it.
Typically was the Decathlon run at 6f on the main. Last year AP Indian won via DQ and won in 2015 as well (not by DQ). Will be run on June 11th this year. Not J bred restricted.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89 View Post
The JJ Reilly is probably the J-bred race you recall. It is scheduled for Haskell Day this year. I recall the Reilly was historically run on Memorial Day weekend (last year it was May 28 won by Chubilicious).
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i am from Boston and Monmouth is my favorite track. the place has a very strong fan base.

i love the Perkins horse in the 11th race Saturday, i would be happy with a $5 win ticket on him.

not that bad, he paid $4.40
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
SandyW

Monmouth and Garden State was New Jersey racing, now all we have left is Monmouth.
Don't let Monmouth die, we must support them until they can find a new revenue source. Monmouth always a fun track that management has bent over backward for fan support.
Going to Monmouth after a morning at the beach was a great tradition.
SUPPORT MONMOUTH.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2017, 12:51 AM   #12
SuperPickle

Monmouth Opening Day

Uglier than anyone imagined...

On track 3835 people and $210,000 in handle. Total handle $2.1 million.

I know it rained and all but these numbers are horrendous even counting that. Last year they averaged $3.4 million and about 8,500. 2015 was $4.5 million and about 9,500.

Last year they did $196 million for the meet. $266 million for the 2015 meeting.

Even if they can get to $3 million a day for the remaining 56 days (which would take a miracle) they'd come in at around $170 million so minus another $26 million off last year.

I mean they're looking at being off $100 million in handle in about 28 months.

Simple put the patient is expiring at a rate a cure can't fix.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #13
sour grapes
Veteran

it was an ugly day out there,i go to belmont on most saturdays and wasnt inclined to attend yesterday on a raw rainy day.Throw in monmouth as a family event for jersey people and i say you are just a gloom and doomer who ALWAYS LOOKS AT THE GLASS HALF EMPTY.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #14
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Uglier than anyone imagined...

On track 3835 people and $210,000 in handle. Total handle $2.1 million.

I know it rained and all but these numbers are horrendous even counting that. Last year they averaged $3.4 million and about 8,500. 2015 was $4.5 million and about 9,500.

Last year they did $196 million for the meet. $266 million for the 2015 meeting.

Even if they can get to $3 million a day for the remaining 56 days (which would take a miracle) they'd come in at around $170 million so minus another $26 million off last year.

I mean they're looking at being off $100 million in handle in about 28 months.

Simple put the patient is expiring at a rate a cure can't fix.
Pickle times are certainly tough, but Saturday cannot be used as a harbinger for the meet. Not sure if you live in the area but Saturday was more than rain it was a nor'easter. Wind, some flooding, and cold too. I'm surprised that many people were there. Even in high season when the track attracts some beach refugees on crummy days I doubt many people would have gone on a day like yesterday.

Unusual weather for this time of year. Rain, yes but not a storm. May have been the coldest racing day in the history of Monmouth Park including Breeders' Cup Friday.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
Monmouth and Garden State was New Jersey racing, now all we have left is Monmouth.
Don't let Monmouth die, we must support them until they can find a new revenue source. Monmouth always a fun track that management has bent over backward for fan support.
Going to Monmouth after a morning at the beach was a great tradition.
SUPPORT MONMOUTH.
Going today with my son. Wife needs some "me" time for Mother's Day!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: